Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: On a Roll (next-gen rollerblading game) Kickstarter is up!

Der Mohn Tintenfisch PoppySquidJr's Avatar
    Steam
    PoppySquidJr
    XBL
    PoppySquidJr

Default On a Roll (next-gen rollerblading game) Kickstarter is up!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/onaroll/on-a-roll

I know not everyone here is gonna care about (or even really respect) rollerblading, but for the cool guys who do, this shit is looking good.
    The artist formerly known as Luft

Yea RB is alright..

Wonder if it has a 70s DLC?
    Ask me Anything, I live in the Future. Just don't ask me about the Rhinoceros!!!

"The most dangerous creature on the face of the Earth, is an educated idiot."

http://www.youtube.com/user/DaaG00n

Chief Alcohol Strategist momadaddy's Avatar
    PSN
    momadaddy
    XBL
    momadaddy

i was about to make this thread. im actually hyped about this.

"Your friendship with xi SATORI ix has been broken"

XBL
    emericaridr11

Stoked.....

half my friends are actually rollerbladers (some Am some Pro, "whatever"... but they do fruit boot and so did I for a quick minute
    some of the physics and animations still look mad goofy to me, but I'm gonna jam this for sure

might actually be the reason I buy a Xbox One or Ps4.... or the new Fallout will be my reason

this makes me sad that there's not gonna be a next gen skateboarding game
    but I'm stoked for you rollerbladers out there, must be exciting, like og skate was when it came out

Steam
    PoppySquidJr
    XBL
    PoppySquidJr

Quote Originally Posted by emericaridr11 View Post
    Stoked.....

half my friends are actually rollerbladers (some Am some Pro, "whatever"... but they do fruit boot and so did I for a quick minute
    some of the physics and animations still look mad goofy to me, but I'm gonna jam this for sure

might actually be the reason I buy a Xbox One or Ps4.... or the new Fallout will be my reason
    yea the animations are still super early, but they're definitely on their way. I'm so hyped for this anyway. (Also, this will be on PC in case you have a decent one of those and still wanna hold out on the next gen)

Not typically a fan of rollerblading, but definitely not against the idea of another open world sports game. I'm sure it makes moma happy, haha, glad to see that it's nearly a third of the way to it's goal only four days in. I'm curious why I never see the kickstarter as a thread in the gaming subreddit. You typically see a few posts about wanting Skate 4 or something THPS related, why is this not getting any daylight?

Edit: I've just made a reddit account for the first time to post about this, hoping it gets some attention, join me in bringing this to people's attention folks!

http://www.reddit.com/user/BigBeefDerky/
    Last edited by NotedDerk; 05-31-2015 at 09:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiltzuh View Post
    I skate unrealistic in real life...i just learned ungrindables at my local park !
    Videos; www.youtube.com/derwreck

Steam
    PoppySquidJr
    XBL
    PoppySquidJr

Quote Originally Posted by NotedDerk View Post
    Not typically a fan of rollerblading, but definitely not against the idea of another open world sports game. I'm sure it makes moma happy, haha, glad to see that it's nearly a third of the way to it's goal only four days in. I'm curious why I never see the kickstarter as a thread in the gaming subreddit. You typically see a few posts about wanting Skate 4 or something THPS related, why is this not getting any daylight?

Edit: I've just made a reddit account for the first time to post about this, hoping it gets some attention, join me in bringing this to people's attention folks!

http://www.reddit.com/user/BigBeefDerky/
    Honestly, I'd stay away from /r/gaming. It's largely a cesspool and a circlejerk for whatever the mob agrees to like or hate. You'd have better luck on more niche subreddits, like maybe if there's a rollerblading subreddit or something. Upvoted your post either way though, can't do any harm.

ALSO, GUYS IT'S ALSO UP ON STEAM GREENLIGHT. Anyone with a PC, find that shit and vote yes
    Last edited by PoppySquidJr; 06-01-2015 at 08:42 AM.

The last "real/really good" blading game I can think of is Aggressive Inline (2002).
    So if that's really the case then they're WAY overdue.
    It looks good & I welcome it!
    ...Just hope it doesn't take thirteen years for someone to cook up another decent skateboarding game.

Also: Couldn't they have just called it Roll?
    Last edited by Legba; 06-01-2015 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Forgot to include a sensless detail
    I got that Fluckin' Love

XBL
    TheDietTea

I'm honestly a bit upset that these kick starters seem more appealing and legit whenever a new sporty sim idea pops up.
    I still want BMX The Game on my 360. I was kinda into that project. I told my friends and they actually got me stoked on it.
    So I don't know, I want to believe the Internet is shady.
    Also want new simulation ideas to toy with. No share from me. Glad to see effort in the area though.

XBL
    TheDietTea

So Im going to double post, I want to shed light on some of the facts here.
    I have my reasons for thinking away from kickstarter.
    How many games have had successful kickstarter projects?
    Ok, well how many of those were successful after the failed kickstarter project and,
    then going out of their way with a website?
    The only project I've seen so far is BMX The Game, personally.
    If it is this easy for a small team to have the technology out of the gate to have what looks Very legitimate why aren't renown companies just dominating the market?
    Opinions welcomed but getting a bit side tracked.
    BMXthegame.com is still a running website that is taking on live donations.
    The thing that's off about this in my head is that they have fine print under "terms of service" that says something along the lines of they can give up at a moments notice if they see fit.
    Take your money run, never look back.
    I know thats a pretty crazy scheme for some dough but that's the facts.
    I honestly Would love to hear something back proving me wrong.
    Not for my sake but just for the games.
    I would love to believe people aren't being exploited.

Don't Worry, Be Happy
    Steam
    TheIronz
    XBL
    TheIronz

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/how.../1100-6425480/

"At time of writing, of the 186 of the successfully funded projects, 63 have made their way to market, while ten have been classified as failures."

Just a quick glance, because you got my curious too...

Steam
    PoppySquidJr
    XBL
    PoppySquidJr

Quote Originally Posted by Antwan View Post
    So Im going to double post, I want to shed light on some of the facts here.
    I have my reasons for thinking away from kickstarter.
    How many games have had successful kickstarter projects?
    Ok, well how many of those were successful after the failed kickstarter project and,
    then going out of their way with a website?
    The only project I've seen so far is BMX The Game, personally.
    If it is this easy for a small team to have the technology out of the gate to have what looks Very legitimate why aren't renown companies just dominating the market?
    Opinions welcomed but getting a bit side tracked.
    BMXthegame.com is still a running website that is taking on live donations.
    The thing that's off about this in my head is that they have fine print under "terms of service" that says something along the lines of they can give up at a moments notice if they see fit.
    Take your money run, never look back.
    I know thats a pretty crazy scheme for some dough but that's the facts.
    I honestly Would love to hear something back proving me wrong.
    Not for my sake but just for the games.
    I would love to believe people aren't being exploited.
    This project is very unique from most that you would mention. These guys clearly had some heavy funding out of the gate, and are not using Kickstarter for their entire development process. 50k is EXTREMELY low for a game, because they don't need the full development funds, they already have a lot to work with. They just needed an extra boost to make this a reality in the immediate future, instead of being a pet project for a few years.

On the other hand, BMX The Game is being made by a few guys with computers and nothing else, and was planned to be funded entirely by Kickstarter (and is running on donation fumes as is), these guys didn't have the early funding for motion capture, they didn't have advertisement deals out the gate to buff up their funds, they're running from scratch which makes it a lot harder.

The big thing here is that, well, yea, nothing is stopping BMX from taking your money and running, but they already have a functional, working prototype for something that will make them far more money if they push on with it. That's motivation enough to trust them. If there is nothing to *show for your progress* and they are taking donations, that's when things get real sketchy.

also, renowned companies ARE dominating the market, just without Kickstarter because the development for big companies is in the millions, and asking that much on Kickstarter would be a PR nightmare when people know that they can afford it themselves.

XBL
    TheDietTea

Thanks for the info Ironz.
    Good stuff Luft.
    Sorry about taking the thread in this direction, I only mean well.
    I've lived all over the place. California, Florida, Ohio, people are shady no matter where you go.
    So To trust the word of someone online feels no different for me until proven otherwise.
    If it were a bunch of guys from this community I might feel differently.
    So on the flip side, they've raised 50k with just a demo.
    Those used to be free and now developers only seem to release them exclusively or have them at conventions.

Steam
    PoppySquidJr
    XBL
    PoppySquidJr

Thanks for the info Ironz.
    Good stuff Luft.
    Sorry about taking the thread in this direction, I only mean well.
    I've lived all over the place. California, Florida, Ohio, people are shady no matter where you go.
    So To trust the word of someone online feels no different for me until proven otherwise.
    If it were a bunch of guys from this community I might feel differently.
    So on the flip side, they've raised 50k with just a demo.
    Those used to be free and now developers only seem to release them exclusively or have them at conventions.
    the demo is a proof of progress, nothing more, nothing less. It's not intended as a marketing demo, akin to the ones that used to be provided for free. This is a game running completely off of donations.

If things still worked like the time period in mention (with free demos being a normal thing), many of these companies would not exist, and this game would not be an option. for anybody. Those were the days where without a AAA publisher to push your game, you had no chance of making it at all.

XBL
    TheDietTea

Fair enough, you're making a lot of sense but I just can't seem to shake the thought.
    People coming together, what's the budget even for?
    It looks well along enough already. I Know nothing about the process.
    I assume if they have terrain and physics, all that, it's ready to go.
    Atleast demo worthy.
    You make it sound as if they are building a city based on funding.
    The only place it seems legitimate to me is if the demo is ready for feedback.
    Is it really so expensive to release a game on the PC?
    All I've heard about is the licenses for console releases.
    The only thought I muster is money is motivating them to continue using what they already have.

Steam
    PoppySquidJr
    XBL
    PoppySquidJr

Fair enough, you're making a lot of sense but I just can't seem to shake the thought.
    People coming together, what's the budget even for?
    It looks well along enough already. I Know nothing about the process.
    I assume if they have terrain and physics, all that, it's ready to go.
    Atleast demo worthy.
    You make it sound as if they are building a city based on funding.
    The only place it seems legitimate to me is if the demo is ready for feedback.
    Is it really so expensive to release a game on the PC?
    All I've heard about is the licenses for console releases.
    The only thought I muster is money is motivating them to continue using what they already have.
    They need the money so that they can afford to work on it consistently, instead of having jobs that consume most of their time. The game is NOT ready for main release, the demo is plagued with delayed inputs, whack physics, bad animations, etc etc. It's all a work in progress, it needs a lot of polish and a ton of content before it's actually done. However, this takes a LOT of time and effort, and if they have to work full time jobs then the game won't be finished for years. Making a game costs money BECAUSE it takes so much time. People who make games for a living are seriously underpayed and overworked (unless they hit unprecedented success a la minecraft) because while this seems like a lot, it's not near as much as what they'd be making working a traditional job instead over the same time period.

I get the concerns, and there are a LOT of sketchy kickstarter projects, sketchy game projects in general. BMX and On A Roll however are pretty legit, as far as it all goes. Money isn't just a motivator, it's the means to work on the game - and nothing but the game - for months and get the game as good as possible in a reasonable time frame.

XBL
    TheDietTea

Right on.
    I didn't mean the game in its entirety.
    A demo is usually a small portion, area or mission from the game.
    Taking years to release a demo on a 50,000 dollar budget sounds crazy to me though.
    This may be my own personal beef with the way it works.
    General lack of knowledge about the process maybe, but it is interesting.
    So what are you saying, they complete the game then give you a portion in demo form?
    A demo.. Which will likely need more done based on feedback.
    I get that you need something playable but nothing else is to be seen but this fabled demo.
    So it kind of is what you're paying for especially if they say they can stop making it whenever they please.
    The assumption is youll recieve a game out of it?

Steam
    PoppySquidJr
    XBL
    PoppySquidJr

Right on.
    I didn't mean the game in its entirety.
    A demo is usually a small portion, area or mission from the game.
    Taking years to release a demo on a 50,000 dollar budget sounds crazy to me though.
    This may be my own personal beef with the way it works.
    General lack of knowledge about the process maybe, but it is interesting.
    So what are you saying, they complete the game then give you a portion in demo form?
    A demo.. Which will likely need more done based on feedback.
    I get that you need something playable but nothing else is to be seen but this fabled demo.
    So it kind of is what you're paying for especially if they say they can stop making it whenever they please.
    The assumption is youll recieve a game out of it?
    No no no, if they get the 50,000 dollars they need to *finish the game properly* you get the demo that they currently have IMMEDIATELY to give them feedback while they work on it! The 50,000 is for them to finish the game in a reasonable time frame, the demo is what they have *right now* to give to backers for feedback if they know they got the funding

Resident Fruitbooter Roccityroller's Avatar

I've been summoned?

backed this day one, duh.
    Hoodlum Threat
    Youtube
    Live Stream
    Twitter

XBL
    TheDietTea

Haha..
    Got it. It's not anything I've ever looked into or heard about so I was just curious.
    I have however seen developers release demos after a games release.
    After that demos started to cease being made, atleast on last gen.
    I guess I was relating it to the console side there.
    It looks like The trial versions of digital games are the new demos and seem to exist just to make you buy the game.
    You can't really give feedback on the trial version. Kinda crazy what it's become.

Haha..
    Got it. It's not anything I've ever looked into or heard about so I was just curious.
    I have however seen developers release demos after a games release.
    After that demos started to cease being made, atleast on last gen.
    I guess I was relating it to the console side there.
    It looks like The trial versions of digital games are the new demos and seem to exist just to make you buy the game.
    You can't really give feedback on the trial version. Kinda crazy what it's become.
    The problem is you are console gaming. Early access like this is the norm on PC. SNOW is a good example. Skiiing game, ala skate, and i've had it on early access for over a year (I think Luft told me about it). There's a forum on steam for it, people give input and the game is updated and improved on a regular basis. "The Golf Club" was the same way, years before it ever released on console.

This is what's happening here. I'm backing it the same way i would buy and early access copy on Steam. I support it, give input, and receive (usually) a copy for free or a discounted rate at the end of early access.
    Hoodlum Threat
    Youtube
    Live Stream
    Twitter

Steam
    PoppySquidJr
    XBL
    PoppySquidJr

Quote Originally Posted by Roccityroller View Post
    The problem is you are console gaming. Early access like this is the norm on PC. SNOW is a good example. Skiiing game, ala skate, and i've had it on early access for over a year (I think Luft told me about it). There's a forum on steam for it, people give input and the game is updated and improved on a regular basis. "The Golf Club" was the same way, years before it ever released on console.

This is what's happening here. I'm backing it the same way i would buy and early access copy on Steam. I support it, give input, and receive (usually) a copy for free or a discounted rate at the end of early access.
    Yep, this is pretty much it right on the head. PC gaming is a different beast from console, because PC allows the Early Access model to be used properly (and improperly in unfortunate circumstances). Many, many, many PC games nowadays use the early access model to allow people to buy their game early (at a lower price) and help them improve the game as it develops, so that they have more input and more feedback to make the game more satisfactory to the people playing it.

i like Airborne with seth green and jack black. it's a movie.

on topic: also the ability to get a demo functioning and released to the public takes so long on consoles that it isn't feasible for this type of job. they'd make a build, a few weeks later we'd get that build on live or psn, then play and give feedback for a week, then wait for them to work on it and put it through the ms/sony process and bam, we'd be getting a new build every month compared to daily builds on pc. it's a frustrating, slow workflow that wouldn't be useful at all.
    Last edited by EmmitBrown; 06-04-2015 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EmmitBrown View Post

on topic: also the ability to get a demo functioning and released to the public takes so long on consoles that it isn't feasible for this type of job. they'd make a build, a few weeks later we'd get that build on live or psn, then play and give feedback for a week, then wait for them to work on it and put it through the ms/sony process and bam, we'd be getting a new build every month compared to daily builds on pc. it's a frustrating, slow workflow that wouldn't be useful at all.
    Probably less than that I was reading somewhere that the cost just to put something to cert is around $10k
    Hoodlum Threat
    Youtube
    Live Stream
    Twitter

im just goin by what the devs at project cars have been saying. they say that sony and ms have a cert process that takes a week or two at the quickest, regardless of price. so console users can't participate in any build analyzation or testing because they'll either only be able to play old builds or the time it would take to recieve feedback and act on it, create a new build, cert, feedback, etc. would be so long it would drag the production time out enourmously.

edit: and supposedly even the donating members of the community that had dev kit consoles weren't allowed to test the prerelease builds of those versions due to some restrictions by sony and ms. essentially, they're the folks to blame for consoles not getting work-in-progress builds with updates
    Last edited by EmmitBrown; 06-04-2015 at 03:05 PM.

XBL
    emericaridr11

Quote Originally Posted by EmmitBrown View Post
    Devils Backbone Baby

Fluckit Senior Citizen replicant's Avatar
    XBL
    replicant#2618

Just saw this game myself when it was mentioned on another forum.
    Definitely curious to see how it turns out. I'm not a big inline fan, but
    after working on Aggressive Inline I did have fun with the game. This
    one looks pretty fun so I'll probably back it at the end of the month.
    I am still having a lot of fun in BMX and assisting with how it is going
    to shape up in the future.
    Bear "replicant" Powell
    "I am Shaolin-Style!"

XBL: replicant#2618

Currently Playing: Diablo 2 Resurrected, Elden Ring, Skate 3

this is actually pretty solid looking game/ more money the better the product. Seems like a solid IP.

Quote Originally Posted by saunders420 View Post
    this is actually pretty solid looking game/ more money the better the product. Seems like a solid IP.
    yea it was playable at Winterclash (huge rollerblading competition in Europe) and I've heard nothing but good things so far.
    Hoodlum Threat
    Youtube
    Live Stream
    Twitter

Steam
    PoppySquidJr
    XBL
    PoppySquidJr

yea it was playable at Winterclash (huge rollerblading competition in Europe) and I've heard nothing but good things so far.
    "Unlike most people suspect, the entire game in it's current state has been built by one person. This means: coding, artwork, modeling, characters, mocap processing etc."

This is the craziest part IMO, the extra cash in the kickstarter is to help hire more help because this was done by one fucking guy. Christ that's nuts.

XBL
    TheDietTea

Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffe View Post
    "Unlike most people suspect, the entire game in it's current state has been built by one person. This means: coding, artwork, modeling, characters, mocap processing etc."

This is the craziest part IMO, the extra cash in the kickstarter is to help hire more help because this was done by one fucking guy. Christ that's nuts.
    That is pretty wild. Definitely get why you would want more people on.
    As far as hours go though some indie developers have flown solo for console releases.
    With that in mind I may have underestimated these kickstarter projects.
    I still enjoyed the back and forth though.

Steam
    PoppySquidJr
    XBL
    PoppySquidJr

That is pretty wild. Definitely get why you would want more people on.
    As far as hours go though some indie developers have flown solo for console releases.
    With that in mind I may have underestimated these kickstarter projects.
    I still enjoyed the back and forth though.
    Yeah man, don't get me wrong, many, many kickstarter projects are really shady and questionable, but it can usually be seen pretty quickly how legit it is. That being said, backing any kickstarter for any reason is obviously a gamble, because there's no telling what the final product will be like. In instances like this, I support the kickstarter not only for the game itself, but to support the entire industry with extreme sports games. A successful kickstarter for an inline skating game will send a message about the profitability of this genre otherwise seen as "dying." But yea, always happy to help explain the more tricky bits of the industry, especially when it comes to the PC differences to traditional console experiences.

IT GOT FUNDED BITCHES
    Hoodlum Threat
    Youtube
    Live Stream
    Twitter

Steam
    PoppySquidJr
    XBL
    PoppySquidJr

IT GOT FUNDED BITCHES
    WOOOOO

Chief Alcohol Strategist momadaddy's Avatar
    PSN
    momadaddy
    XBL
    momadaddy

I'm glad it got funded. I gave probably more than I should. But I'm pumped. Fingers crossed for advanced feecam. You can see a feecam in the videos they have put up, but I'm hoping for something like skate

"Your friendship with xi SATORI ix has been broken"

1 guy though, holy fuckin shit o.O Dude is crazy. I wonder how much sleep he has been able to get. unless he is part cyborg and does it with ease in a matter of nanoseconds.

Steam
    PoppySquidJr
    XBL
    PoppySquidJr

Quote Originally Posted by saunders420 View Post
    1 guy though, holy fuckin shit o.O Dude is crazy. I wonder how much sleep he has been able to get. unless he is part cyborg and does it with ease in a matter of nanoseconds.
    Well it was one guy over 5 years, up until now. Still incredibly impressive, but he had some good time.

That is dedication.

XBL
    TheDietTea

Sick.
    The action sports genre is picking up fast.
    Looking good so far!
    Bmx the game, on a roll, session.
    Glad we aren't alone in wanting these things. Good stuff.