Thread: On a Roll (next-gen rollerblading game) Kickstarter is up!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Der Mohn Tintenfisch PoppySquidJr's Avatar
    Steam
    PoppySquidJr
    XBL
    PoppySquidJr

Quote Originally Posted by Roccityroller View Post
    The problem is you are console gaming. Early access like this is the norm on PC. SNOW is a good example. Skiiing game, ala skate, and i've had it on early access for over a year (I think Luft told me about it). There's a forum on steam for it, people give input and the game is updated and improved on a regular basis. "The Golf Club" was the same way, years before it ever released on console.

This is what's happening here. I'm backing it the same way i would buy and early access copy on Steam. I support it, give input, and receive (usually) a copy for free or a discounted rate at the end of early access.
    Yep, this is pretty much it right on the head. PC gaming is a different beast from console, because PC allows the Early Access model to be used properly (and improperly in unfortunate circumstances). Many, many, many PC games nowadays use the early access model to allow people to buy their game early (at a lower price) and help them improve the game as it develops, so that they have more input and more feedback to make the game more satisfactory to the people playing it.
    The artist formerly known as Luft

i like Airborne with seth green and jack black. it's a movie.

on topic: also the ability to get a demo functioning and released to the public takes so long on consoles that it isn't feasible for this type of job. they'd make a build, a few weeks later we'd get that build on live or psn, then play and give feedback for a week, then wait for them to work on it and put it through the ms/sony process and bam, we'd be getting a new build every month compared to daily builds on pc. it's a frustrating, slow workflow that wouldn't be useful at all.
    Last edited by EmmitBrown; 06-04-2015 at 01:59 PM.

Resident Fruitbooter Roccityroller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EmmitBrown View Post

on topic: also the ability to get a demo functioning and released to the public takes so long on consoles that it isn't feasible for this type of job. they'd make a build, a few weeks later we'd get that build on live or psn, then play and give feedback for a week, then wait for them to work on it and put it through the ms/sony process and bam, we'd be getting a new build every month compared to daily builds on pc. it's a frustrating, slow workflow that wouldn't be useful at all.
    Probably less than that I was reading somewhere that the cost just to put something to cert is around $10k
    Hoodlum Threat
    Youtube
    Live Stream
    Twitter

im just goin by what the devs at project cars have been saying. they say that sony and ms have a cert process that takes a week or two at the quickest, regardless of price. so console users can't participate in any build analyzation or testing because they'll either only be able to play old builds or the time it would take to recieve feedback and act on it, create a new build, cert, feedback, etc. would be so long it would drag the production time out enourmously.

edit: and supposedly even the donating members of the community that had dev kit consoles weren't allowed to test the prerelease builds of those versions due to some restrictions by sony and ms. essentially, they're the folks to blame for consoles not getting work-in-progress builds with updates
    Last edited by EmmitBrown; 06-04-2015 at 03:05 PM.

XBL
    emericaridr11

Quote Originally Posted by EmmitBrown View Post
    Devils Backbone Baby

Fluckit Senior Citizen replicant's Avatar
    XBL
    replicant#2618

Just saw this game myself when it was mentioned on another forum.
    Definitely curious to see how it turns out. I'm not a big inline fan, but
    after working on Aggressive Inline I did have fun with the game. This
    one looks pretty fun so I'll probably back it at the end of the month.
    I am still having a lot of fun in BMX and assisting with how it is going
    to shape up in the future.
    Bear "replicant" Powell
    "I am Shaolin-Style!"

XBL: replicant#2618

Currently Playing: Diablo 2 Resurrected, Elden Ring, Skate 3

this is actually pretty solid looking game/ more money the better the product. Seems like a solid IP.

Resident Fruitbooter Roccityroller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saunders420 View Post
    this is actually pretty solid looking game/ more money the better the product. Seems like a solid IP.
    yea it was playable at Winterclash (huge rollerblading competition in Europe) and I've heard nothing but good things so far.
    Hoodlum Threat
    Youtube
    Live Stream
    Twitter

Der Mohn Tintenfisch PoppySquidJr's Avatar
    Steam
    PoppySquidJr
    XBL
    PoppySquidJr

Quote Originally Posted by Roccityroller View Post
    yea it was playable at Winterclash (huge rollerblading competition in Europe) and I've heard nothing but good things so far.
    "Unlike most people suspect, the entire game in it's current state has been built by one person. This means: coding, artwork, modeling, characters, mocap processing etc."

This is the craziest part IMO, the extra cash in the kickstarter is to help hire more help because this was done by one fucking guy. Christ that's nuts.
    The artist formerly known as Luft