Quote Originally Posted by Antwan View Post
Fair enough, you're making a lot of sense but I just can't seem to shake the thought.
People coming together, what's the budget even for?
It looks well along enough already. I Know nothing about the process.
I assume if they have terrain and physics, all that, it's ready to go.
Atleast demo worthy.
You make it sound as if they are building a city based on funding.
The only place it seems legitimate to me is if the demo is ready for feedback.
Is it really so expensive to release a game on the PC?
All I've heard about is the licenses for console releases.
The only thought I muster is money is motivating them to continue using what they already have.
They need the money so that they can afford to work on it consistently, instead of having jobs that consume most of their time. The game is NOT ready for main release, the demo is plagued with delayed inputs, whack physics, bad animations, etc etc. It's all a work in progress, it needs a lot of polish and a ton of content before it's actually done. However, this takes a LOT of time and effort, and if they have to work full time jobs then the game won't be finished for years. Making a game costs money BECAUSE it takes so much time. People who make games for a living are seriously underpayed and overworked (unless they hit unprecedented success a la minecraft) because while this seems like a lot, it's not near as much as what they'd be making working a traditional job instead over the same time period.

I get the concerns, and there are a LOT of sketchy kickstarter projects, sketchy game projects in general. BMX and On A Roll however are pretty legit, as far as it all goes. Money isn't just a motivator, it's the means to work on the game - and nothing but the game - for months and get the game as good as possible in a reasonable time frame.