Thread: Board setups

XBL
    TheDietTea

Default Board setups

Yo, so I had a pair of trucks fall apart underneath me last week.
    Started thinking, might not be bad to reach out and see what skate parts you guys have found most durable. I did a review on spitfire wheels way back, I've had some pretty tough sessions with them and they still seem to be holding up. I've had a pair of venture trucks for several years as well, haven't fallen apart.
    The trucks in question for me are called Frontage trucks.
    Not exactly sure where they came from, came with an old school deck someone sent me.
    So yeah, plug your favs, looking for recommendations.

PSN
    pifachu
    XBL
    crazy willy 94

now on setup is
    grippy tapy: jessup
    board: anti hero 8.500
    hardware: i dont give a fluck, they are allen, not phillips
    trucks: independent stage 11, think they are 149,or 139 i am not good with those thing...
    wheel: spitfire classic 60mm
    bearing: shake junt ( the shop didnt have any reds in stock ans i was way overdue...usally ride reds bearring)

so here are my own opinion on each pieces that made a board

-GRIPPY TAPE

i preffer jessup cause its less gripping than mob, when i used to ride mob on my board i remember using the leftover from the griptape cut to sand the kick flip and ollie spot right away cause those grip are sooo grippy they kill your shoes right away, even if you dont flick it that much they will tore your sole out

board

yeah i am all about anti hero by now, second board in a row and i really love them, they got a good all around feel, but we all know there is not 194353 board maker, most of them are the same with different graphic and brand name..so...i got a deathwish and a welcome waiting next in the closest, i really like baker stuff, welcome are really good if you like weird shape, most shop and small brand here do bussiness with control skateboard, a canadian skate manifacture (yup they got 2 board in s3) they are good board, almost unbreakable but they keep their stiffness shorter than other brand that tend to break easier but stay stiffer

as for size i rided 7.755 for years when i was younger, this thing was flippin, but i wasnt riding tranny at all at that time, i now am more off an all around skater, i may even admit i spend more time in transition than anywhere else and i have switched to 8.500, really good all around size, i had a used 9.000 for a couple day when i was broke, very good for vert and bowl but starting to get a bit heavy for park and street, was still able to tre flip the heck out of it but was puting alot more force into it

so the bigger the board the harder they are to flip, but that force you put give style to it, feeling more beast if i can say

hardware

i couldnt care less, as long as they are 8 bolt! phillips or allen if they strip you're in trouble anyway...

trucks

lucky trucks (does that brand still exist) really cheap truck, broken the axle the same week i bought those...

i had tunder high, the mark apleyard one, really durable trucks, grinded the heck out of them but at that stage i was mostly grinding box with metal coping,
    my girlfriend also have low tunder trucks on her board and she look like liking them,

i had krux low, really good skate truck, better trucks for control/lightweight ratio, and still have them on a old board that i get as a memorie from another time, undestructable, as the last one, mostly grinding on metal

indy!! i love them, not the most lightweight (now they got hollow one but i dont trust those... i am kind of a freak) but they are very durable and grind very well, i change them almost every 1.5 year but i rape them on pool block all day err day...so thats why they use alot faster,

a guy gave me almost new venture at some point but they were in the trunk of my car waiting to be ridin and i send the car to the junkyard forgetting they were there.. so i never used them, if you find the car they might be in the trunk even today...

the brand i would recomend..if you're more about tech stuff i would say thunder or krux, if you're more of a hesh guy go with thunder or indy

special mention about bushing

i used to replace my bushing with bone conic bushing, they skate very different from bubble bushing, they are pre broken if i can say... but they dont last as long, they get very loose after a couple month of abuse, but they are cheap anyway, about 8 buck for all 4 of them.. i still recomend to keep the stock bushing on if you dont have trouble with them

bearings

i actually learn alot about bearing lately, rided reds most of my life, tried a couple brand but reds are sure value for the price,

i recomend you read this http://theridechannel.com/features/2...earing-shields ,

wheel

rode alot of wheel brand, from 49mm to 64mm but my fav are bones and spitfire.. i always rided hard wheel, to get that thing shreddiiinnnn, i just like that sound you know

bones are the shit, had a lot of skatepark formula, mostly 56mm they arent melting in the sun, to get those wheel smaller you have to rode them to hell, and if you dont like flat spot they are the one, even if you abuse them you might only get a small flatspot that will last for about 10 minute...

spitfire are good too, but they melt as soon as you roll, dont expect them to last a lifetime in my opinion, really good comfort, better than the bones, put they are wearing up fast and flat spot alot, pretty much each sesh i end up with a flat spot somehow... had a couple size, 5 or 6 set if i remember well they are pretty much all the same as i just wrote

for size if your not about tranny at all something in the range of 48-54mm is really good, from 53-57mm is a good all around size, and 57+ is really more suited for vert and speed, i ride 60 in the street and plaza but like i said earlier my tech day are behind me, im a little more hesh, so i dont mind put that extra power out there, dont forget to rotate your wheel if you do alot of 180 or if your riding loose trucks

i got to talk about my cruiser here, oj III wheel are very good smooth wheel but they then to get small peeble stuck in as they are pretty much the ''slick tire'' of skateboarding, i also got a set of gold cup wheel, very large, like them alot

in the end its all about taste, nothing is better, just different, try them all and see for yourself,

now that you have wasted all this time reading my opinion that dont matter, go skate...

if you want to discuss feel free, you can even tell me that i am plain dumb and know nothing, i wont take it personal,

go ahead, insult me

i am waiting

edit: i tought i would be cool those include to link, you never know to much about what you are riding

http://www.existskatestore.com/blog/...manufacturers/
    Last edited by Pifachu; 06-28-2015 at 10:24 AM.

XBL
    TheDietTea

Cheers man.
    Yeah, I usually have bones red bearings too.
    I actually did skate a bit after the post haha, rode down the block.
    Not a whole lot here and the community is cracking down on spots to skate.
    Closest park is like 30 min drive and very steep terrain.
    I guess my idea is some kind of all around setup.
    I would like to try vert at some point, been sticking to flatground ledges and rails the last couple of months.
    Collected quite a few decks when I was up in Newyork so parts are really all I need.
    Just looking for durable stuff if that's even a thing I dont know haha.
    I've had the flat spots before.. It was so bad at one point you could hear me coming a block away.
    Half squares!

PSN
    pifachu
    XBL
    crazy willy 94

skate tend to get molded by what they have around them, if all you got is a parking lot you will get good on flatground trick, if you have a bowl next door you will rip transition you know, its all about what you have around... on a bigger scale just take a look at east coast vs west coast skating...

and bein part of a comunity is fun, but dont forget that even if better as a crew, skateboarding is something you do by yourself... all of the time

Steam
    skategunner
    PSN
    freeZeskates
    XBL
    XfreeZe

currently riding:
    Alien Workshop 8:5 square tail for them sweepers
    little bit of this and that with some spicy peperonis

independent reynolds hollow 149s
    spitfire 52mm formula 4
    shake junt bearings for the goldie gold
    Best setup I ever had
    Cleanery Bud!

XBL
    TheDietTea

Yeah I feel you pifachu!
    I have lost touch with friends to skate with, through the grind of life Ya know.
    I always start on flatground but at some point you have to expand or you're just flatground.
    Which is cool don't get me wrong, if that's your thing have at it. It's all about fun.
    Part of that fun to me, is seeing what I've Done on flat brought to a unique setup.
    You can do more if you set out to and learn even more in the process too.

That setup looks crazy freeze!
    Fresh.
    I've just got some beater decks haha. Not that bad but definitely not new or worth a share.

i usually just ride indys for trucks

deck i've been eyeing up for a while passport callum paul 8.38, but i havent collected enough money to order it yet lol

as for the bones vs spitfire debate, im a bones type of person, stfs get the job done

and bones bearings for life

XBL
    TheDietTea

I don't follow skating as much as I used to these days but if primitive skateboards makes some decks just for the brands sake and not with a pros name I may put out for one of those. Just sounds like a dope name to represent. Sal-Flip tails and boneless blunts being tricks that have eluded me in terms of perfection on down ledges. That's me though, a bit strange, a bit old school.

Don't Worry, Be Happy
    Steam
    TheIronz
    XBL
    TheIronz

Right now:

Deck: Alien Workshop 7.5 Dyrdek Pro model (No idea what is what, brought it cheap second hand, its red and shiny though...)
    Wheels: Spitfire (Where 57mm, but so old maybe like 50mm now)
    Bearings: Industrial use bearings meant for a bench drill (I cheaped out, they cost around £0.70 each bearing and are rated Abec11. They handle the pressure amazing but speed roll off is noticeable)
    Trucks: Desctructo

Next Setup:
    Deck: Almost Mullen Impact (the black and blue glow in the dark one)
    Wheels: Spitfire again, if I can find blue/black ones
    Bearings: Bones Reds
    Trucks: Undecided

PSN
    pifachu
    XBL
    crazy willy 94

Quote Originally Posted by xfreeZe View Post
    currently riding:
    Alien Workshop 8:5 square tail for them sweepers
    little bit of this and that with some spicy peperonis

independent reynolds hollow 149s
    spitfire 52mm formula 4
    shake junt bearings for the goldie gold
    Best setup I ever had
    crazy grip job

Steam
    skategunner
    PSN
    freeZeskates
    XBL
    XfreeZe

Quote Originally Posted by Pifachu View Post
    crazy grip job
    thanks alot man!
    Cleanery Bud!

Steam
    James Granko
    PSN
    Grankosson
    XBL
    H TIO

Itä-deck 8"
    Thunder Trucks 145 not sure if lows or highs (been rolling on those trucks for about 5-6 years)
    Spitfire F1 Streetburners 55mm with Spitfire Cheapshots-bearings.
    Diamond hardware and Itä-grip.

I know the board looks weird in the size on the photo, but it's completely normal just something weird happened when I took the photo

Steam
    skategunner
    PSN
    freeZeskates
    XBL
    XfreeZe

latest setup i got back in august or something, same trucks and wheels as last time(Reynolds hollow 149, spitfire formula 4 52mm)

Cleanery Bud!

Blazing a Trail
    Steam
    Eastcoastskateboard1
    PSN
    anderson347
    XBL
    CoastSkates

Quasi 8.5 welcome 58 mm wheels and thunder 149's
    L8 Media

Team Avid

Deck: Chocolate 8.5 (My fresh backups are Real and Stereo (same Size))
    Trucks: Thunder Hollows 149 (First pair after only skating Tensors and Indies for 10 years, and I love em!)
    Wheels: Bones STF V5 54mm (Switched back to Bones after exclusively skating Rictas (With occasional Pig Wheels))
    Bearings: Bronson G3 (Longest lasting bearings my heavy ass has skated as an adult.)
    Hardware: Always a mix of Shortys and whatever else I have around. (1")
    Grip: Jessup whenever possible! With art painted by me/my homies
    I got that Fluckin' Love

Steam
    skategunner
    PSN
    freeZeskates
    XBL
    XfreeZe

Quote Originally Posted by Legba View Post
    Deck: Chocolate 8.5 (My fresh backups are Real and Stereo (same Size))
    Trucks: Thunder Hollows 149 (First pair after only skating Tensors and Indies for 10 years, and I love em!)
    Wheels: Bones STF V5 54mm (Switched back to Bones after exclusively skating Rictas (With occasional Pig Wheels))
    Bearings: Bronson G3 (Longest lasting bearings my heavy ass has skated as an adult.)
    Hardware: Always a mix of Shortys and whatever else I have around. (1")
    Grip: Jessup whenever possible! With art painted by me/my homies
    mans know a good size, i just stepped down a lil bit tho
    on the 8,4 game now
    Cleanery Bud!