Thread: Budget Gaming PC

Steam
    jesselack

Default Budget Gaming PC

For the people who are really looking forward to picking up Project:Session when it comes out and don't want to drop tons of cash on a next gen system, check out this video.

Project: Session Team

That's sick! Someone should try this setup on a skateboard and mount it on their wall!

Don't Worry, Be Happy
    Steam
    TheIronz
    XBL
    TheIronz

This is actually amazingly practical. I have seen PC builds before but they looks way out of my skill range. I could pull this off I think though!

Steam
    skategunner
    PSN
    freeZeskates
    XBL
    XfreeZe

then again every computerpart is so much more expensive here in europe :/
    Cleanery Bud!

XBL
    TheDietTea

So I've spent spare time in the last week trying to install a new OS on a few month old laptop
    Just to find the hard drive is likely failing.
    I don't know how it happened but I never did anything intensive on it.
    Videos like this made me want to get my hands dirty but producing no results.
    Everything is connected and looks fine, doesn't even get hot.
    I can't even boot into a new installation anymore.
    Done for? I just want to capture and edit. Damn it.
    I definitely don't want the chance of it happening again.
    Can you drop any hard drive you want into laptops?
    Help would be heavily appreciated.
    http://www.toshiba.com/us/computers/...C50/C55D-B5319

Steam
    jesselack

as long as its not a mac, yes, you should be able to open up your laptop and install a new HDD. just make sure you actually buy a laptop harddrive lol

Steam
    wrayayrton

unfortunately toshibas are pretty shitty laptops (As are most of them. I suggest a lenovo or asus) and most computer parts are built to go bad in 3-5 years. hard drives included. I'd suggest getting a desktop for better cooling, more expandability and upgradability, and better resolutions/graphics in games. I've spent almost 2000$ on my pc thus far (900$ in the past few months) and with how nice games look and how well 3ds max runs I can say it's money well spent. as for that first vid- pretty sick but from a safety standpoint putting the shit on a piece of wood and not getting a case is pretty dumb. a case will make the computer last longer so I'd throw down a few extra dollars. I got a refurb thermaltake version of the HAF 932 for 40$ at comp usa

XBL
    TheDietTea

Cheers guys.
    Wray, I am the walking talking proof that nothing lasts forever.
    Especially when it comes to laptop technology.
    I did read up on it after posting here.
    You're right about upgrading sizes, hardware has to be the same to fit the laptops small case and plug in correctly.
    This hardware however, was brand new out of the box. 500GB Hard drive.
    Less than two months old, I expected more than this from it.
    If it works for 5 years that would be SICK. At this point I would take 1 year with my track record.
    I really can't afford one of those badass desktops as much as I would like to have one.
    Here's the journey, hoping it helps determine my issue;
    Brand new laptop, took it out of box. Installed windows 8.
    It was clunky at first but I made it suffice by removing unwanted programs and stopping start up programs.
    It was still not my favorite interface for an OS but it was working!
    One day the laptop shuts off by itself.
    Turn it back on. Get an error screen, files corrupted.
    I can't use advanced settings, recovery mode or boot in safe mode.
    Completely locked out, so what do I do? I attempt to install a fresh OS.
    Much error, less trial ended up removing windows entirely thinking Maybe these files are all the trouble.
    The OS Partioning Fails. Have to hard shut down.
    Now when I boot up I get a toshiba logo and it won't even see my bootable media.
    The hard drive makes a clicking noise like a clock.
    It would also click while in the OS install before telling me it had failed for one of many reasons.
    Most common "The Drive/files are read only."
    Maybe I fucked up at the end here, but what choice did I have?

Steam
    wrayayrton

2 months?? honestly at that point I'd say try and RMA it if its still under warranty. your hard drive is clicking, its hella fucked. toshiba sold you a piece of shit. where did you get it? internet or best buy or from a friend
    Last edited by wrayayrton; 07-26-2015 at 01:18 PM.

XBL
    TheDietTea

I honestly wouldn't trust them to send me a different hard drive.
    I don't want the same one after this experience.
    I opened the casing too. I believe that traditionally voids warranty.
    The problems were prior to me looking inside. All I did was replug the ram though.
    I'll look at the manual it came with. It was a gift. I can buy a replacement drive if needed.

Steam
    wrayayrton

I meant return the laptop itself. you're going to have to get a new harddrive otherwise (I might just suggest different laptop)

XBL
    TheDietTea

Do you think the laptop is at fault?
    I was just thinking to replace the faulty drive.
    For some reason I don't picture it messing up any hard drive it is connected to.
    Unfortunately I can't test this without a purchase but it would be cheaper than a new setup.
    Pretty sure warranty will require some money aswell. It is implied in the documentation.
    I've voided it aswell. The ram is not upgradable by user. Quite a mess haha.
    I have a Mac purchase deep back in my head to compensate all this trouble but it's hard to get motivated to throw money at a purchase when you literally can't compensate for every new issue that may arise.
    I may just start saving for the Mac. Average lifespan dudes?

Quote Originally Posted by Antwan View Post
    Do you think the laptop is at fault?
    I was just thinking to replace the faulty drive.
    For some reason I don't picture it messing up any hard drive it is connected to.
    Unfortunately I can't test this without a purchase but it would be cheaper than a new setup.
    Pretty sure warranty will require some money aswell. It is implied in the documentation.
    I've voided it aswell. The ram is not upgradable by user. Quite a mess haha.
    I have a Mac purchase deep back in my head to compensate all this trouble but it's hard to get motivated to throw money at a purchase when you literally can't compensate for every new issue that may arise.
    I may just start saving for the Mac. Average lifespan dudes?
    average lifespan of a mac? well my 2005 model still runs if youre looking at longevity. usually because of the soddered parts and very limited customizability macs will last far more than a pc just becaus eof how well the parts fit together. other than ram and an external drive being the things you can change the most, id say itd be better to save up and purchase a laptop with a nvdia graphic card thats at least 700 or above with i5, 1 TB and 8 gbs or ram.

most graphic intesive games or games that have alot of "junk" running in the back will require 8 or more gbs of ram but id say for now youll be okay. ram is an easy price hike when it comes to buying parts.
    my laptop ran me 1700 and i have 16gb, but thats because my work requires me to use Maya and other CAD type programs which really eat at your processor speeds and can heat up your computer.

idk what your budget is antwan but if you want something that is fairly good and you have the money for it id check out http://www.pro-star.com/ , they have a good range of prices. though dont expect anything 700 and down yanno. the parts that they use for the base models of every comp are really nice, AND if you feel like uping the price to get some extras you can, though i think with what you might be wanting you dont need it all right now, or at least in a laptop. better save that for tower. but yeah check them out if you feel like it and just browse around. most of the parts n stuff you could find on newegg but i found that looking all over, certain sites just bait you into paying more than what you want.

and also you dont have to throw in an OS if you alreayd have a windows 7 or 8 activation cd. just a way to save more $$
    IM A BOSS ASS BITCH

XBL
    TheDietTea

Thanks hitman.
    Haha, all my years around computers I've never learned about the hardware.
    Just now starting that journey.
    A bit overwhelming no lie.. No plans to game but I already know from experience that HD capturing uses juice from it all.
    I look to the Mac because of its simple software (Music mainly) and know some people here have captured and edited with it. My end all be all is a setup that does those things and lasts a few years.
    I've gotten close with some laptop setups.
    My dad is heavy into building rigs but he just was never around when I needed the help.
    Sent me a laptop one year that I made most of my full lengths on and even played high quality games on but it didn't last long enough. I don't know, maybe it's an unrealistic hope. The forever machine.
    As for budget, eh, so low right now!
    I can get there but in time.

Thanks hitman.
    Haha, all my years around computers I've never learned about the hardware.
    Just now starting that journey.
    A bit overwhelming no lie.. No plans to game but I already know from experience that HD capturing uses juice from it all.
    I look to the Mac because of its simple software (Music mainly) and know some people here have captured and edited with it. My end all be all is a setup that does those things and lasts a few years.
    I've gotten close with some laptop setups.
    My dad is heavy into building rigs but he just was never around when I needed the help.
    Sent me a laptop one year that I made most of my full lengths on and even played high quality games on but it didn't last long enough. I don't know, maybe it's an unrealistic hope. The forever machine.
    As for budget, eh, so low right now!
    I can get there but in time.
    yeah honestly man im still a Mac dude. i havent booted up my mac in like 3 months tho since getting my laptop. not that i dont enjoy it but my mac is very veyr very old lol so old my web browser doesnt start up normal. id defintley shell out 2000$ for an upgraded 27' imac so i can just do simple stuff and edit.

with windows its not too hard to learn if you listen and know what youre looking for and what you want to get out of your computer. theres a lot you can do with both mac and windows but it all depends on what you want to get out of it. for me i want to be able to control my file systems and get my capture devices in place. in fact, nvidia's card have a built in capture system to do that for you if you dont have one already.
    IM A BOSS ASS BITCH

XBL
    TheDietTea

Ahh damn son!
    An exciting morning for sure.
    So I'm working on a theory here. This could potentially be a huge price range reducer if it pans out.
    I can't boot from the hard drive I got in this laptop. Removed that shit.
    Now it sees my bootable media.
    There are 128GB USB drives out there maybe higher.
    The idea is to partition the usb and use it as a replacement drive.
    Here's the price reducer, 128GB USB is 30$.
    Going to finish testing when I get home later. You might not need internals.. Damn that's wild.

XBL
    TheDietTea

Still some troubleshooting to do but just wanted to tell you dudes I've successfully installed an OS on a USB Flash Drive.
    With the HDD unplugged it reads an empty Fat32 USB as a replacement drive for your install.
    There are some hang ups when running applications but I imagine I can solve for this.
    Hard drive optional:

daamn getting extra tech with the usb, i would of never thought you could do that!
    i could recommend formatting the usb again to a ntsf so you could put file sizes bigger than 4gb into it but if your planning on just using it for the OS then i think youll be good
    IM A BOSS ASS BITCH

Steam
    jesselack

Quote Originally Posted by Hitmanx123 View Post
    i could recommend formatting the usb again to a ntsf so you could put file sizes bigger than 4gb into it but if your planning on just using it for the OS then i think youll be good
    was gonna say the same thing
    RISE Sorable: why do something in a game you can do in real life

XBL
    TheDietTea

Good point. I'm gonna pick up a 120gb usb soon
    and I'll format that one. Just wanted to see if it worked for now.
    I'm curious if a faster USB would up performance.
    It is strange to think about haha.

any usb sold i think now will be usb 3.0 which is the fastest to date unless you shell out for those crazy ones. i got a 128 for 40$ and it works like a charm
    IM A BOSS ASS BITCH

XBL
    TheDietTea

Yeah, cheers.
    I just realized I'm running a 64 bit OS too.
    I've read that space is never why a computer slows.
    So I just used a 15g usb to try it.
    It's a bit slow, dual core processor still in there haha.
    My laptop is compatible so I wonder if it's just the usb.
    Last edited by Antwan; 07-31-2015 at 03:59 PM.

usually a slow computer can be from you doing too many task or doing task that take too much processing power. also since your os is on a usb and not in a harddrive, the way the computer reads the info will be different. a usb is like a basic reader whereas a dedicted harddrive is made to be read muc faster. like if you could compare rpm (even tho usb doesnt have spinning parts) the harddrive is more efficient for it as well as launching programs
    IM A BOSS ASS BITCH

XBL
    TheDietTea

Yeah, but some hard drives don't have the moving parts.
    I'm just wondering if theres a way to make the USB behave like one of those if only a bit slower.
    It's all up to troubleshooting now.
    I'll edit this post when/if I get it smooth sailing.
    Got to disable startup programs, possibly format like suggested.
    If I can just get it to run one app at a time with minimal hang up I'm sold.
    Will Definitely pick up a larger usb then.

heytwan, go tot new egg and search ssd and the go to lowest price. i think if you can shell out $35 for a 64 gb you should be okay for booting and also other small programs. i have a 500gb one but i can tell you, your start times and preformance will be amazing with that. it also depends on your computer specs as well. how much ram do you have again? and whats the processor?

definitely look at reviews too i you want to buy from there
    Last edited by Hitmanx123; 08-02-2015 at 02:37 PM.
    IM A BOSS ASS BITCH

XBL
    TheDietTea

Good looking out. I'll check that out.
    Yeah the OS on USB is a nice trick but it just isn't cutting it.
    There's no reason it should hang up with Firefox.
    It catches up eventually..
    If you absolutely had to you could use it for graphics and web browsing but its not going to capture video games.
    It's actually an okay setup man, real shame about the HDD.

Good looking out. I'll check that out.
    Yeah the OS on USB is a nice trick but it just isn't cutting it.
    There's no reason it should hang up with Firefox.
    It catches up eventually..
    If you absolutely had to you could use it for graphics and web browsing but its not going to capture video games.
    It's actually an okay setup man, real shame about the HDD.
    yeah i think your comp is perfectly fine to handle an ssd and preform good. i would say defintely get the ssd or another good harddrive for a low price and put the os on there.
    money is tight but a good harddrive mihg tjust be what you need. your computer is pretty new and can handle some complex stuff. rendering and editing might be a task depending on how heavy your effects are, because idk what typ eof graphics card it has. it says amd which is a good company, but i dont think its a gaming level card, so i might just be able to handle games with settings at medium to high at the very least.
    also the ram you have will determine how slow your computer will get doing a bunch of task that involve memory, like rendering.
    if you have at least 4gb of ram then you should be okay. though 8 would be preferrable for future use.
    IM A BOSS ASS BITCH

XBL
    TheDietTea

Are you thinking that setup is good for capturing?
    4GB of ram is what it has, and AMD E1-1200 (Radeon HD)
    It's just a bit unclear as to what is needed to do it.
    Never learned about the hardware and every computer I've had so far couldn't handle it.
    Hard to get motivated!
    I do appreciate it, just need to learn.
    Not feeling like investing money for trial and error but rather something that is sure fire.
    If that means a completely new setup I am game but obviously I'll have to wait a bit longer.
    Let me know! I need the truth at this point. Too many dead setups.
    Last edited by Antwan; 08-06-2015 at 10:21 PM.