Thread: Producing Tips/Tricks?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Don't Worry, Be Happy
    Steam
    TheIronz
    XBL
    TheIronz

Some people write beats to melodies better, others write melodies to beats better... Try to figure out which way works best for you.

It wont work out every time but it will save you alot of time in the long wrong.

Steam
    jesselack

when i have time tomorrow i'll write up a nice little article with some starter tips and tricks for ya.

Quote Originally Posted by TheIronz View Post
    Some people write beats to melodies better, others write melodies to beats better... Try to figure out which way works best for you.

It wont work out every time but it will save you alot of time in the long wrong.

yeah definitely. and for some it's whichever half pops in their head first...you might think up a nice drum break and want to build from there or you might start humming something and want to throw it down and add some beat. you'll get a feel for what your ideal workflow feels like after you get used to the whole process and go through it for a bit.

Stopped Pushing Mongo
    XBL
    Noah eh

This helped out a lot guys, thanks! And thanks for linking that Emmit, I didn't think FL studio was gonna be able to do that much work. Looks like from here I'll just mess around in Fruity Loops until I get what I'm doing. Thanks again! And feel free to give any more suggestions either to me or anybody else if they wanted some.
    [1:16:07 AM] Coast: guys...
    [1:16:12 AM] Coast: im pansexual

no problem. fl can do a LOT of cool things. you can link a peak limiter to an effect or other plugin and then link it to another tack so once one track hits a certain db level it will mute or unmute or apply an effect or whatever to the other track. soooo many little robust tools in it that a lot people don't even know about. have fun, man

Time...it definitely takes time. Nothing comes in a day.

I'm horrible what comes to giving great advices but I can share some of my personal guidelines.

- Don't try to push yourself straight under some specific genre or style. It kills creativity and possibilities to dig and discover.
    - Don't selfcriticize too fast. If your'e not sure whether you like a thing in your song or not, don't throw it straight away. It might sound better tomorrow...or next month.
    - Don't get stuck on your songs. If it feels impossible to progress in your track atm, leave it alone. Try again later.
    - If you're struggling with melody, try some instrument you've never used before. You might experience a lot of new ideas.
    - If you get a nice bassline, drumbeat or melody in your head don't let it away. I like to record ideas straight to my phone by humming or drumming table...even tho humming in place sometimes lead into awkward situations.
    - Never underestimate the power of great and fresh sample.
    - Dig the crates. Interwebs is full of nbd samples. Don't stick in 70s funk samples that everyones used at least twice. Try different cultures and genres. Bookmark them...or make a youtube playlist.
    - Let someone else hear you're projects every now and then. Working on a tunes usually makes you blind of your mistakes. Someone else can easily tell if your track feels empty...or overcrowded.

UG/Popless Pioneer pawnluvguitarist's Avatar

It's probably not as crucial when dealing with mostly samples and digital instruments but don't overlook learning up on Eq, compression, panning, double tracking ect

i agree thoroughly with wiltz and pawn

@pawn even if its samples, all of those are important. they can help you get the best out of the samples and eliminate the stuff you dont want, plus panning into a good sound hole in the composition is always important

UG/Popless Pioneer pawnluvguitarist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EmmitBrown View Post
    i agree thoroughly with wiltz and pawn

@pawn even if its samples, all of those are important. they can help you get the best out of the samples and eliminate the stuff you dont want, plus panning into a good sound hole in the composition is always important
    Oh yeah EB, don't get me wrong it's all important no matter what you're doing, especially with the panning. I meant more with the compression and eq. Most samples will have already been processed to some extent as opposed to my acoustic guitar which sounds amazing live but when recording requires a lot of work reducing all the bass to get a great tone that works on its own and blended with other raw real instruments.