Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: I bring a gift!

Can I Kick It?

I think I've got the best of both worlds, I'll show you something soon. I'll probably keep everything private though, so I'll send messages instead of posting it here.

Steam
    jesselack

Roger that. I'll keep an eye on my PM's
    RISE Sorable: why do something in a game you can do in real life

Can I Kick It?

I hope you aren't the type to get VR sickness.

Steam
    jesselack

not at all. i'm a seasoned VR veteran lol. My first game was Onward so I got used to the movement pretty quick.

Can I Kick It?

Awesome, just dropping off of ledges I could see how someone could get sick with this. I've got to decide now early on if I'm going to cater to people without their VR legs. It's fun to prototype at the moment. There are some very interesting challenges to a game of this type.

Steam
    jesselack

yeah changes in height can definitely mess with people, but your brain gets used to it over time. It's the same with any flying/jetpack game really

Can I Kick It?

I kind of like that when falling off a ledge or down stairs you've got to kind of push into the board or it'll get out from you.

Another thing I noticed when testing is that when going down a hill or slope you also have to kind of push into it. Sure, it wasn't intentional, but getting down a steep incline shouldn't be dead easy, you should at least have to do something to account for it, even if it's a simple as pushing down into the board.

Right now you can only take your feet (hands) off the board for a second or two if the board is on the ground. If the board isn't on the ground or some obstacle, you will continue to fall at the same pace as the board (looking into making the player fall a little faster, so catching feels better).

Last, you only need one foot on the board, not on the nose or tail, to remain on the board.
    Last edited by WestEnd; 04-02-2017 at 04:29 AM.

Steam
    jesselack

i like that you only need one foot on. hover skate really pisses me off in that regard. the second you take one foot off its over. I'm very excited to see what you're coming up with

time to upgrade. lol

Can I Kick It?

Dude, VR skateboarding is the coolest damn thing. This truly is the only way to really simulate skateboarding.

I hate that it's so inaccessible to so many though. A lot of people have been waiting for the game I've been working on, but that's a void a lot of people are trying to fill right now, one that I don't have the capital nor man power and hours to do properly.

But this, this shit is so much more exciting than that game.

Imagine first person skateboarding where you have almost zero restrictions on how you move, what tricks you can do and how you do them.

I've already planned out all the controls, from grabbing to flips to no complys to grinds. This is the future.

bummer. i don't think i'll ever buy a vr setup. i only have one eye so...

i guess i'll start hoping for project:session again.

Can I Kick It?

Have you tried an oculus rift or htc vive? I close one eye all the time when aiming down sights in games like onward. You might not get the stereoscopic 3d effect, but you wouldn't get that in reality with only one eye either. Maybe it's ignorance, but it seems like you could still very much enjoy VR with only one eye.

Either way, right now I'm just experimenting in my little free time since I've been put on this mobile project. With TS:BS and PS hopefully one of them will get the formula and feel right. If not, I vow to get back into it and make what I have even better.

Steam
    jesselack

it's certainly on the inaccessible end, that's for sure, but it is also really fucking cool lol. this is why i think it would be worth it for you to release a little tech demo of your old build for the fluckers. there's a lot of people here who were following your progress for a very long time getting quite excited. i think I'm the only one here besides you with a VR rig lol. you do you though man, I'm sure whatever you make will be killer, however accessible it is.

Quote Originally Posted by WestEnd View Post
    ill have to give it a whirl if i see an in-store setup. it's more likely ignorance on my end...i have tons, lol. i remember reading a while ago that the psvr worked fine with one eye, but it has reduced resolution so id rather just use the tv. how does the development for vr compare to dev for standard games?

Steam
    jesselack

Quote Originally Posted by EmmitBrown View Post
    how does the development for vr compare to dev for standard games?
    from what i've read it's pretty much the same. Unity has something called the VR tool kit (VRTK) on the asset store that apparently makes the dev process a little easier.

https://vrtoolkit.readme.io/docs
    Last edited by noobtard07; 04-05-2017 at 07:46 AM. Reason: vrtk

Can I Kick It?

There were some inherent limitations in how I made the last game. Forward flips were impossible, impossibles were impossible. (Well you could do them but when catching it there was a good chance the joints that connect the player to the board would wig out, because you would have stretched beyond its limits and the spring would force the rotation backwards) But since then I found a way around that, so if I made the game again from scratch I'd be much smarter about it. While all this craziness is going on though, I'm just gonna experiment with the VR stuff cause it's fun and very unique.

VR isn't much different. Has some unique hallenges though.
    Last edited by WestEnd; 04-05-2017 at 01:01 PM.

in the first game, by any chance what was playable maybe make an appearance in the future?

Can I Kick It?

It's possible. But anything I put out there I've got to be willing to accept the judgement that comes with it even if it's not a legit release.. so that being said I'd like to reformat some of the structure of the code, get rid of some of the excess physics joints and if that was all clean and functioning well, I probably will.

Sorry for disappearing guys. I've just been prototyping things waiting for some time in my schedule to clear up and figure out what I really want to do with all this.

Can I Kick It?

Alright guys, I've deciding to give up everything in order to make the original skate game I was working on. It's the only thing that I'm truly passionate about and it's the only thing that gives me purpose. Good news and bad news. Good news is I'll have a ton more free time to make this and I've learned some much better algorithms and better math that will immensely help the game. Bad news is this time wasted has just been a massive set back. But even if true skate comes out, even if project session comes out, I still want to release this game because I know it's fun. It may be smaller in scope, it may not look as good or have as good animations, but it'll be fun damn it lol.

Steam
    jesselack

It may be smaller in scope, it may not look as good or have as good animations, but it'll be fun damn it lol.
    that's what matters my dude. good luck!

Can I Kick It?

Just want to say I'm still working on the game, and as serious as ever. No going back now.

Peep some footage?

XBL
    DrMinagon

Looks amazing! That flip bs boardslide and nosegrinds pop out.
    XL: DrMinagon
    Team Name: Minagon

the more I see the more I feel like this will be making waves once people get footy out. Looking very promising.

Can I Kick It?

Thanks guys glad you like it. Soon in the next month or two, if all goes well I'll probably send pre alpha builds to a few of you here to test if you'd like.

Thanks guys glad you like it. Soon in the next month or two, if all goes well I'll probably send pre alpha builds to a few of you here to test if you'd like.
    Me me me me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiltzuh View Post
    I skate unrealistic in real life...i just learned ungrindables at my local park !
    Videos; www.youtube.com/derwreck

Can I Kick It?

Can I Kick It?

XBL
    DrMinagon

Luv it!
    XL: DrMinagon
    Team Name: Minagon

Oh shit.

XBL
    SKATAN 81

Dude, VR skateboarding is the coolest damn thing. This truly is the only way to really simulate skateboarding.
    if we realy need to stand up from the couch i think this is a true sim.

i dont think vr is any close to good or fun in the next 10 years .. it just looks cheese as fuck

Can I Kick It?

VR is actually incredibly fun as it is even now. That being said, I was only prototyping things while I went through some crazy business. I'm back full speed on the original game for pc. Won't be messing with VR until probably gen 2 headsets come out.

Can I Kick It?

XBL
    emericaridr11

Quote Originally Posted by NotedDerk View Post
    Me me me me!
    Same! Now that I'm capable i would love to try this badboy

Can I Kick It?

I always want to keep you guys up to date, so here's the latest news. I've officially landed on a company name, and 99% sure of the new official game title. I'll have to give a little time for the trademarks to go through and I'll have to have Non-Disclosure Agreements written up for those who want to participate in early alpha tests. That being said, if all goes well, I might offer a public demo within the next 3 to 4 months if everything goes smoothly. I'm sure you guys are all eager to play and I promise that as soon as I cover my bases legally, I'll let a select number of you guys who have been following since the beginning have a go at the demo before anyone else. Just have some patience, should be ready in the next month or two.
    Last edited by WestEnd; 06-14-2017 at 11:22 PM.