Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: I bring a gift!

been lurking forever, just wanted to say how truly incredible this is.

you are MAD talented, and your passion is relentless. keep killin' it!
    youtube.
    twitch.
    ATLien.

Quote Originally Posted by WestEnd View Post
    holy fucking progress. This is looking to be even more phenomenal.

you can see the difference. you leveled up this game large bro!! looks smooth AF. Super nice work. WERE NOT WORTHY haha.

Can I Kick It?

Thanks guys, I still have a long long way to go and many things to clean up, a few minor bugs left. But I'm not anywhere where I want to be with it. Animations, I'll keep trying to improve them, but unless I do a kickstarter and miraculously get enough to hire an artist and animator or do legit mocap (last mocap session fell through for many reasons) the hard truth is it'll probably never be as good animation wise as I want. But I'll keep chipping away at it, hopefully itll be good enough.

Der Mohn Tintenfisch PoppySquidJr's Avatar
    Steam
    PoppySquidJr
    XBL
    the Luftwaffe

If your concerns are really high with the visual aesthetic of the game, something worth noting is that if you have any abilities whatsoever to do modeling or animating (or have connections with someone who does, and would be able to help) a 100% "realistic" visual style only works at the highest end, and usually makes the product as a whole look significantly worse at anything lower than AAA value. It might be worth considering going for a more stylized approach (not CARTOONY, but simply something that doesn't look like it's trying to be more high budget than it is).

On the lower end of "stylizing" would be games like Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 -> American Wasteland. Proportions were ever so slightly squashed and the textures were more "clean" than detailed, allowing the game to age a bit more gracefully. (going for a lower poly look could work on a nostalgic level while requiring less professional help, as well)

On the further end of "stylizing" would be games like Jet Set Radio, which still look solid today, but would require more artistic talent on board and a really carefully designed aesthetic to not come off as "childish" (Personally I'd love to see more solid sim-esque games use art styles like this, when you can slightly exaggerate animations and hand-craft them instead of mo-capping, the gameplay can come off as significantly more smooth and have great flow)

(gameplay looks incredible so far by the way, this is astounding)
    Last edited by PoppySquidJr; 08-17-2017 at 04:45 PM.
    GT: the Luftwaffe
    Steam: ♣ PoppySquidJr

Haven't had Xbox Live in a long time, but feel free to add me if you play Dragon's Dogma I guess, the pawn stuff still works with silver lol

Can I Kick It?

Thanks for the input poppy, I suppose my goal at the moment is to eventually roll out a kickstarter or partner up with a talented artist or two. One for the environment and one for character art. I know I can personally do better than what you see now, but the issue is more time than anything. Not to mention, paying someone with a decade of experience will go a lot further. That's the end goal anyways.

Der Mohn Tintenfisch PoppySquidJr's Avatar
    Steam
    PoppySquidJr
    XBL
    the Luftwaffe

That's cool, I had no idea what your plans were apart from grabbing some help in the future (how much help, what kind of budget you're aiming for, etc) so I figured I'd give my two cents on the matter. Although to be honest even if the visuals looked like crap I'd still be excited to play it, so I'm sure that says something about how the gameplay looks so far.
    GT: the Luftwaffe
    Steam: ♣ PoppySquidJr

Haven't had Xbox Live in a long time, but feel free to add me if you play Dragon's Dogma I guess, the pawn stuff still works with silver lol