Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I bring a gift!

XBL
    SKATAN 81

[QUOTE=WestEnd;172859]I've thought about clicking down on the analog sticks being the catch button for flip tricks. That way you could catch with either foot, or both. Perhaps getting two feet on will be necessary to land. Lets say you through a wonky hardflip and your front foot is above it when you click so you catch it with your front foot. But you back foot isn't. If you just click down then you wont catch the back and you'll bail. But lets say you caught it with the front but the back foot isn't above it, lets say you push the right stick left cause the back of the board is to the left of your right foot, and then click maybe you'll catch it then and can rotate to finish out the trick

:-) maybe a double click fith the stick ? 1st click to catch 2nd click to manual

This looks awesome! I've been watching loads of Unreal Engine tutorials recently, but I don't know anything about making games...it would take me years just to make a map at this point.

Keep up the good work man!

new feet positioning video looks great....

west you said it felt and looked weird when using th regular controls in switch stance...

that sounds about right to real life hahahah.

crazy project you have here sir...
    cant wait for that guy to leave the ground...
    everything else looks so nice...
    SUPPORT YOUR HOMIES...

Damn dude, you got my attention. Looks a lot like that Projekt Blank thing that was happening a while ago.

Are the trucks physics based? Not sure how to phrase the question since I'm neither a programmer nor physicist but can you turn more than what an actual truck can turn before it gets wheelbite or whatever?
    Everything looks great man, keep it up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayfighter
    this was florescent beige , so good it makes no sense
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevland
    abba is not as cool as nazis but it's fucking close

Amateur Flucker
    PSN
    Valleyboy420

Welcome Jon / WestEnd, looks fun 360 poweslides yummy

Can I Kick It?

Quote Originally Posted by knexzor View Post
    Damn dude, you got my attention. Looks a lot like that Projekt Blank thing that was happening a while ago.

Are the trucks physics based? Not sure how to phrase the question since I'm neither a programmer nor physicist but can you turn more than what an actual truck can turn before it gets wheelbite or whatever?
    Everything looks great man, keep it up!
    In the first iteration they were, but you wouldn't believe the crazy things that would happen to them. If you went fast enough the truck would either get lodged in the ground, turn sideways or completely fly away. I may still look into it, but it comes with a whole world of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTwoTone View Post
    This looks awesome! I've been watching loads of Unreal Engine tutorials recently, but I don't know anything about making games...it would take me years just to make a map at this point.

Keep up the good work man!
    One day at a time, it'll be a struggle every day but one day you'll look back and see the progress you make. It's just like skating or anything else. If you enjoy it keep doing it!

Quote Originally Posted by HCH Media View Post
    :-) maybe a double click fith the stick ? 1st click to catch 2nd click to manual
    If I did make manuals be a click of the stick (damn just reminded me of lookadaflickadawrist...lookadaclickadastick).... anyways, if I did make manuals be clicking the stick in, it would free up the bumpers for something. It's unfortunate that the only buttons that dont take away from the joysticks are the triggers and bumpers.
    Last edited by WestEnd; 07-10-2015 at 09:03 AM.

Steam
    jesselack

how soon do you plan on implementing the trick mechanics? i really wanna mess with this

Can I Kick It?

Quote Originally Posted by noobtard07 View Post
    how soon do you plan on implementing the trick mechanics? i really wanna mess with this
    Ive been writing algorithms for analog stick detection, as soon as I can get the gesture recognition done it'll be a simple as adding forces and getting the players feet in the proper location. It'll be a while, cause I have to program the body to separate and then reattach when the trick is caught, provided it leaves your feet. And I have to make sure that the right forces get added to make the board actually do what the sticks say.

I'm going to start with just ollies, make sure they work regular and goofy. Then I'm a do nollies and fakie ollies. After that I'm going to make any off centered up stroke on the flicking foot add rotation, if the rotation goes beyond a limit then separate the player because the board is starting to flip. If you just barely do it then it may only half flip and you'll never be able to catch it, so you'll have to be good on your ollies or commit to a flip. Then I'll have to add the catching mechanics.

As soon as I get ollies working, I'll have to design the in air logic. I'll have to write a predictive algorithm that will determine where you're going to land based on velocity and gravity. Then I will most likely rotate the player over time to match the normal of the surface. This will allow you to ollie into tranny or banks and keep the flow going.

After ALL of that I'll implement ragdoll for when you bail.
    Last edited by WestEnd; 07-10-2015 at 12:48 PM.

Can I Kick It?

I'm just about ready to test if the gesture recognition works! This is exciting. I've got a small library of tricks assigned to a sequence of numbers. I've already programmed it to read and temporarily store analog movements as a string of numbers that correlate to positions on the stick. It also knows how fast or slow you finished a gesture. Anything that takes more than 30 numbers then it's too slow. It takes these numbers and filters out the noise to give a unique pattern. Then I'm using Levenshtein distance algorithm to compare that unique series with a list of existing patterns. For the animations of the skateboarder this will be compared to a list of tricks so the animations arent completely whack.

Now if the gesture recognition works then I can start adding force to the board. This is when I'll separate the skater from the board and let the player control the forces added to it. If things go well then your right stick will apply force based on the speed, direction and accuracy of the analog stick motion. Same with the left. Depending on how things go, I'll post a video tonight or tomorrow night. Let's just pray this goes as smooth as the rest.

Steam
    jesselack

looking forward to it man. keep up the good work

Can I Kick It?

IT WORKS! YES! Now on to the real stuff. Time to start adding tricks.

Der Mohn Tintenfisch PoppySquidJr's Avatar
    Steam
    PoppySquidJr
    XBL
    the Luftwaffe

Quote Originally Posted by WestEnd View Post
    IT WORKS! YES! Now on to the real stuff. Time to start adding tricks.
    hyypppee
    GT: the Luftwaffe
    Steam: ♣ PoppySquidJr

Haven't had Xbox Live in a long time, but feel free to add me if you play Dragon's Dogma I guess, the pawn stuff still works with silver lol

Can I Kick It?

Damn, maybe I spoke too soon. It's having trouble recognizing subtle differences. I gotta work this out. ugh...

Edit: I've been hacking away at this for 12 straight hours. I'm gonna call it a day.

It is recognizing gestures on both sticks, but sometimes it recognizes the one closest too it instead. I'll try to sort out the issues tomorrow.
    Last edited by WestEnd; 07-10-2015 at 08:00 PM.

Der Mohn Tintenfisch PoppySquidJr's Avatar
    Steam
    PoppySquidJr
    XBL
    the Luftwaffe

Damn, maybe I spoke too soon. It's having trouble recognizing subtle differences. I gotta work this out. ugh...

Edit: I've been hacking away at this for 12 straight hours. I'm gonna call it a day.

It is recognizing gestures on both sticks, but sometimes it recognizes the one closest too it instead. I'll try to sort out the issues tomorrow.
    No sweat bud, no need to stress yourself over this, good luck tomorrow!
    GT: the Luftwaffe
    Steam: ♣ PoppySquidJr

Haven't had Xbox Live in a long time, but feel free to add me if you play Dragon's Dogma I guess, the pawn stuff still works with silver lol

Can I Kick It?

Probably last post of the night. It occurred to me that if I wanted to increase the accuracy of the input matching then I'll have to increase the input range. I'll report back tomorrow

Sounds
    about
    right..

Beast mode.
    SUPPORT YOUR HOMIES...

XBL
    SKATAN 81

dude you are nuts . just give it time and take a break , i was kidding when i said the game could be done already :-)

Steam
    jesselack

eagerly awaiting your next video

Can I Kick It?

Alright! I've got very good gesture recognition working. Very accurate. Now I'm going to go record a bunch of predefined motions. Don't worry, this doesn't mean that tricks will be predefined. These gestures will determine what forces get applied. For instance, if you are regular foot and you set up with your feet anywhere in the back then it will be expecting you to pop/scoop that foot first. Because of this, it will be searching for either an up and down gesture, or any form of a scoop a la Skates shuv its and 360 shuv type motions. Then it will be checking for the other sticks motions. If you flick straight up no horizontal rotation will be added, but if you flick up and to the left or right you'll add horizontal rotation.

So you have control over rotating the board fs and bs, and rotating it in a kickflip or heel flip rotation at the same time. Just like a real skateboard. Any combination of these will get you just about every rotation possible. I even added a circle gesture on the back foot so if you were to do that but no front foot then later down the road I'll try to get it to flip like an impossible. The gestures you do will push forces on to the board that mimic the motion you sweep or flick.

Steam
    jesselack

this all sounds fuckin righteous dude

This sounds amazing. I can't wait to see the tricks in action!

Can I Kick It?

Progress is being made and I hope to have something good to show you by the end of the coming week. What I'm doing now is very crucial. It's gonna take a lot of time and energy getting it right. It doesn't look perty just yet but fooling around with it I was able to ollie into a backlip on the little up rail. It's ugly right now but I'm working hard guys.

good to hear. i can't imagine any of this is easy.

Steam
    The_Astonist
    XBL
    Cothes

This looks better than tony hawk!

Can I Kick It?

I'm running on 2 hours of sleep right now, but I have a little bit of bad/good news. There's been a minor set back. I want to explore restructuring the way the game logic works. In order for the game to truly rely on physics for most everything and provide true emergent gameplay I have to redefine the way I coded the game a bit. I can still keep a lot of code but I have a lot of work cut out for me.

For one, the way it's programmed now it's more like you control the skateboard and the skater follows. This is problematic when separating the logic between the boards local rotation and the player. Imagine doing kick flip and the whole player flips with it. I can separate them but then the board won't also rotate for things like bs and fs rotations of the player. Which means that fs flips and bs flips etc, would have to truly be varial flips with body 180s. Instead of doing a kickflip and holding a trigger to turn. What I need is the player to control the skateboarder, and the board assume the rotations of the player and then flip in addition to it. This way I can keep the players rotation vertical, or at least matching the surface he is on or will land on, and allow fs and bs rotations. I'll still allow body varials some how though. Don't worry.

This will help tremendously when doing grinds, flips and practically everything. I also want to make the skateboard more physics based if possible. As in the trucks being driven by forces and constraints. I know it's a big set back but I believe that addressing these things now are the most important things and will make the game much better.

Furthermore having played around with the controls it seems that shifting your weight forward or backwards with the bumpers are problematic, it's possible but just not comfortable. So I'm thinking about changing the way you shift weight. When in the air, if the board is under your feet (as in you ollies or caught the board already) then the left stick will move the left foot around and right stick will move the right foot around. If you move the left one up, the board will start to lean forward like you were gonna land in a nose grind. Or if you took the right foot and held it back it would be like you were going into a 5-0 or manual. If you pushed the stick left it would go shifty like to the left. This is assuming you are regular foot of course. Anyways... This means that I can use the bumpers for something else. Like rotating the body only. Say you want to do a kickflip body varial. You would kickflip like normal but instead of pulling the right trigger to turn and do a bs flip you'll hold the right bumper and your body will rotate separate from the board. Let me know what you think of this idea.

It's a necessary evil, but I won't be giving up on the project it'll just take more time.
    Last edited by WestEnd; 07-13-2015 at 06:11 AM.

i like the idea of the body rotating independently from the board. i wouldn't even mind if we had to execute the trick and rotate the body with seperate control inputs at all times, even if the rotation was required for the trick we were attempting. hope all the rewriting goes well.

Steam
    The_Astonist
    XBL
    Cothes

Yeah, skate doesn't do it that way.
    It's all about the skateboard. If you pay attention to the mini map your icon is your skateboard haha.
    Noticed that one day.
    I would like to see how seperating the two works if it is a success.
    It is a video game so I'm a bit skeptical there. Unless the board somehow has its own magnetism for landing tricks?
    I don't know.

XBL
    ILL NODERUS

This is interesting, much respect for the time and energy put forth into this. If only i could mash you together with creature and create the perfect skatecake.

Can I Kick It?

Quote Originally Posted by Antwan View Post
    Yeah, skate doesn't do it that way.
    It's all about the skateboard. If you pay attention to the mini map your icon is your skateboard haha.
    Noticed that one day.
    I would like to see how seperating the two works if it is a success.
    It is a video game so I'm a bit skeptical there. Unless the board somehow has its own magnetism for landing tricks?
    I don't know.
    The way I'm programming it now is that they are two distinct obejcts. Even the skateboard is made of multiple objects that aren't parented to each other. The trucks are independent and physics based now.

I suppose what I really mean when I say separate vs what I had earlier, is that the player doesn't inherit it's rotation from the board. How I want to do it now is that the board will inherit it's rotation from the player, plus it's own rotation added to it.

As for catching tricks, if the board is under the feet then the feet will "snap" to the board and the player will be able to rotate the board like you would if you were doing fs or bs 180s, etc. Of course, the board will have to be grip up and with in a certain rotation of the current velocity.

...Forever

Steam
    The_Astonist
    XBL
    Cothes

Haha Nelson..

Alright then!
    Sounds like a killer system.
    If there's one thing that confuses me its mechanics for skateboarding games haha.
    When you get a trick down pack in real life it's one fluid motion.
    So I picture a standard kickflip body varial (180) being one animation.
    You're the one with the experience, but it gets me thinking.
    Appreciate you sharing your process.
    Looking forward to your results.

I'm really interested in seeing how this develops.

WestEnd, I know it's a work in progress, and it's going to take a long time to get there, but do you plan on creating something for release with this?

Can I Kick It?

I will definitely release playable versions for you guys to destroy. But I'm really tinkering with physics from the ground up at the moment. In skate, physics effect animations and animations effect physics. I'm working on something similar. Itll probably be a while til you see new footage, unfortunately.

Don't Worry, Be Happy
    Steam
    TheIronz
    XBL
    TheIronz

Do a twitch livestream when you code, would love to watch it being developed!

Steam
    wrayayrton

OH MY GOD. I am so excited to see this, I did not realize that indie skateboard game design had come along so far since I played skate 3 and thought "well shit how tf"

you have quite a system here.

also, dude please let me animate for this for you I would literally cream my pants

I have some experience with unity but mainly it's lighting and level design. My experience with unreal doesn't extend much further than a few mirror's edge maps but I never made anything serious with that

even if you don't want my help I'd love to talk to you on skype about this my username is isaacpreston if u wanna add me
    Last edited by wrayayrton; 07-20-2015 at 08:29 PM.

Steam
    jesselack

any updates on this? seemed really promising
    RISE Sorable: why do something in a game you can do in real life

Can I Kick It?

Sorry for the lack of updates, my personal life has gotten a bit crazy and as a result I've been very busy and probably will be going into this month. I am still working on the project and will continue to do so. As soon as I've made the first milestone I'll be sure to post something. What I'm working on now is crucial and very difficult. Full body collision and active ragdoll is what I'm trying to achieve. Very similar to skates system where animation drives physics and physics effects animations. Progress is slow but it's looking promising. In the videos you guys saw, the player had one capsule for collision like in typical games, which is lame. Haha

I'll be sure to update you guys first thing when it's ready.

you sir take your time. stay rested n blessed. you have an amazing concept/idea going for the skate game you have created. everything sounds amazing. physics based brilliant.

XBL
    SKATAN 81

hi man just wondering if you have any new to show ? :-)

Can I Kick It?

I really wish I did. I'm in the middle of changing jobs at the moment and a million other things. Hopefully things will smooth out sooner rather than later. A day will come where I will pop up with a juicy video of progress... but it will be a while guys... Sorry.