Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: I bring a gift!

Can I Kick It?

So gutting the Ik system did nothing to stop the bug. I've littered my code with safety nets, trying to prevent this from happening. Doing rigorous tests. Haven't had any since but damn I thought I have fixed this thing like 10 times now.

For better news though, I was fooling around with wall rides earlier, like straight up floor to wall wallrides. Didn't code anything in, it's just the physics and joints working. It's entirely possible, yet very difficult, to do them based on the physics alone. It's just like real life too, you have to hit the wall at an angle and time your ollie. The only way I've been able to smoothly come out was to pop at the last second which both looked and felt super steezy the way the board comes off the wall. If you go too much into it, you'll smash into the wall and bail, if you go too parallel with it you won't get up the wall. If my animations didn't look like shit right now I would want to show you. But soon. Let me slay this bug so I can get back to making real progress with the game. As soon as I start cleaning things up and they get a little better looking I'll show some sort of teaser clip.

Oh and wallies are much easier to do than wall rides, just ollie right before and bash into it. If you are at somewhat of an angle you'll likely wall off of it.

Steam
    jesselack

<333 thank you for constantly updating this. seriously youre like the most vocal gamedev ive ever seen
    RISE Sorable: why do something in a game you can do in real life

Can I Kick It?

Well this community is the core community I am making this for. You guys want what I want we share the same vision. You guys saw in skate what I did, and I want to bring everyone more of a similar experience. It's the game I want to play and I want to keep you guys updated. I'm trying my best, it may not have the quality that skate did but I know it'll be fun so, here's to hoping I can continue to break through these issues. I haven't had the glitch happen since but I've had to put hours of testing in to get it to happen before so I'll be doing a lot of testing until I feel that it's been resolved. There isn't a particular cause or pattern to it so it's really hard to debug. Even checking the stack from the debugger doesn't lead to the source of the bug, I only see the end results.

In the end this is my passion, skateboarding and making this game are everything to me right now. So I'm doing all I can and I want to keep you guys in the loop.
    Last edited by WestEnd; 12-02-2016 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Grammar

Steam
    jesselack

and it's very much appreciated my brother, and almost inspiring lol. i might go download unity after i get my i7

Can I Kick It?

Do it! Haha. Game dev is a lot like skateboarding, you put your mind to something and you try to make it happen. You might fail 1000 times. But eventually you get it.

Can I Kick It?

Edit: Going to not talk much unless I know for sure the bug is solved. Lets hope for the best.
    Last edited by WestEnd; 12-09-2016 at 04:01 PM.

Steam
    jesselack

Quote Originally Posted by WestEnd View Post
    Edit: Going to not talk much unless I know for sure the bug is solved. Lets hope for the best.
    godspeed

Can I Kick It?

Okay guys, I sincerely apologize for the lack of updates and for yet again another set back. This is another from scratch rebuild of the physics BUT, it will all be worth it. I've decided to show you the progress periodically of the newest physics build. Lets hope we don't get any other impossible walls. This one feels good.

Not much in this video but manuals and one static animation that gets procedurally animated. There will be more animations to come, next up flip tricks and grinds. Flip trick gesture recognition is in, just no forces added yet.

Edit: Don't mind the crazy level, it's just for testing purposes
    Last edited by WestEnd; 12-16-2016 at 12:20 PM.

Can I Kick It?

XBL
    DrMinagon

That bs tailslide. Aaah, really nice! No magnet, looks realistic.
    XL: DrMinagon
    Team Name: Minagon

Can I Kick It?

Haha thanks, truth be told that is basically an "ungrindable". That is 100% physics at work. Zero code for grinding yet. I'm hoping when I do reimplement grinding it'll be that smooth. In the first physics rebuild grinding was actually physics driven with no magnetism but it did guide you along the obstacle so you could go around curves and things, but it could get snagged sometimes or look a little less than smooth.

Can I Kick It?

XBL
    DrMinagon

Nice! Smooth 360.

Can I Kick It?

Okay last video tonight. Ungrindables are in full effect, all physics there is no code for grinding yet. I hope it'll look this smooth and fluid when grinding is officially implemented. So far, bug free from the beginning of the rework and it feels SOOO much better.

Edit: Didn't realize you could hear me bashing the analog sticks so hard haha.

Last edited by WestEnd; 12-20-2016 at 10:41 PM.

Steam
    jesselack

Okay last video tonight. Ungrindables are in full effect, all physics there is no code for grinding yet. I hope it'll look this smooth and fluid when grinding is officially implemented. So far, bug free from the beginning of the rework and it feels SOOO much better.

Edit: Didn't realize you could hear me bashing the analog sticks so hard haha.

that nosegrind in the beginning was dope. this is really starting to take shape

Can I Kick It?

Happy late Chrimbus. Here are a few clips from me play testing. More Ungrindables, haven't implemented grinding yet, but have been working on flip tricks, which I'm not ready to unveil yet, a lot of animation (read IK (read inverse kinematics)) and other things need to be added. Bug testing yadda yadda. But hope these clips will hold you over.

Can I Kick It?

Can I Kick It?

Can I Kick It?

Can I Kick It?

And last but not least is a nice ole rack on the rail. There's full body collision and physics goin on.

Hallelujah sweet baby jesus!

Steam
    jesselack

this was so sick. I love how high you can bring up the tail on those crooks, I always felt like in skate your back truck was way too low. Looks like there's great possibility for popovers

Can I Kick It?

Thanks for the support guys. It's proven to be a huge huge challenge to get procedural flip tricks that aren't pre animated (how they were in the first prototype, adding that with this complex physics system is just proving to be way more challenging than I initially thought). Working on this game has brought upon extreme stress and the amount of time I've put into it meant that I've irresponsibly pushed away many things that need more focus in my life, including people and responsibilities. I truly want to bring this to you guys, but sometimes I feel I should have went with the original method, as the chances of bringing multiplayer to that are far greater, the chances for less bugs and glitches and the opportunity for more control as well as proper grinds. This would come at the cost of true physics based trucks. =/ Honestly though, in the end, we all just want the next EA Skate. If you haven't heard, the guys over at session snagged a berrics article, seems there is no end to their hype train, despite years of disappointments. They still claim the original footage is gameplay, just from the linear days, and not just animations. I have my doubts, but they say that have a legit team again and I wish them the best. Their hype certainly eclipses anyone else at the moment, I just hope they can deliver because that momentum can kill careers. I need a break, a vacation, I need to get my mind right. Like many others, I'm struggling financially, I'm in debt and need to get my priorities straight.

Edit: To clarify I am by no means giving up, I'm simply taking some days off. I have been putting in 12 to 16 hour days working on this when I'm off from my day job, and when I'm not I work 8 to 10 hours at my real job to come home and work til 1 am on this. It's not easy. I need a fresh mind and some rest to tackle these problems.
    Last edited by WestEnd; 12-30-2016 at 12:46 PM.

Can I Kick It?

Okay, I lied. I couldn't take a break. I worked through christmas eve and christmas, I worked through new years eve and I'm working now into 2017. I can't walk away from it. BUT! I figured out the secret to this complex beast. The system gets so complex that sometimes you have to go back and study it, understand it from it's core to be able to add to it. Flip tricks are working now. There is so much work to do though and I can't stop. I can't fucking stop. I have to do this. I've never been driven by something so much before. HAPPY NEW YEARS HOMIES!

Can I Kick It?

Happy late new years gift. It's sketchy still, so be gentle haha. It has no animation or IK for flip tricks just on or off when catching but that'll come in time. I am more worried about getting the physics and feel right at the moment.

lookin good. i love this thread

the determination I applaud. stay safe and dont break ya neck over it too much. take those needed breaks and rest. much respects!!!!!
    hearing the controller gave me the slightest insight, when you do the frontside flip are you catching that?? almost sounds like it, whats happening lol!!??? this is so hype right now fack
    so interesting to watch. when it comes time for everyone play, I cant wait to see how everyone attacks stuff differently. 0.o

Can I Kick It?

Yeah you have to catch your tricks. Currently, you only have to put at least one foot on the board, you don't have to catch it with both. Front foot or back foot catches add to your personal style and the way you want to skate.

Steam
    jesselack

Yeah you have to catch your tricks. Currently, you only have to put at least one foot on the board, you don't have to catch it with both. Front foot or back foot catches add to your personal style and the way you want to skate.
    AMAZING

Can I Kick It?

Still going at it. Flip tricks are a strange thing. They need to be a little difficult, but not because of something out of your control. I don't want it to be difficult because of some randomness beyond your control. I want it to be something you can rely on, so you can get better at it. Because flip tricks are procedural and not animation based, everything from the pop height, the scoop and flip speed are all set based on your input. It's difficult enough that you have to time your catches to not catch the board in primo or upside down, but it shouldn't be out of your control. You should get frustrated if something is difficult because you can get better at it, not because it's something unpredictable. Then also there is making all the flips look nice. You can do really slow flips if you want, which would never land on flat ground. But you might want to do a really slow tre flip down a big set, or a fat and slow kickflip over a big bump to drop. So you can do that, but on flat you wont catch it before it hits the ground. It's a fine balance between gameplay and control.

Also probably gonna add more animations in, there's only been two animation poses in the latest few videos. Imagine how much better it could look with actual animations. Again there is a lot of IK (inverse kinematics(read as code controlling foot placement)) involved as well, so it's not 100 percent controlled by animation. Anyways guys, thanks for those that keep up with this. You'll be the first I reach out to when I'm ready and confident for that kind of testing. I'm doing all I can.

Steam
    jesselack

Still going at it. Flip tricks are a strange thing. They need to be a little difficult, but not because of something out of your control. I don't want it to be difficult because of some randomness beyond your control. I want it to be something you can rely on, so you can get better at it. Because flip tricks are procedural and not animation based, everything from the pop height, the scoop and flip speed are all set based on your input. It's difficult enough that you have to time your catches to not catch the board in primo or upside down, but it shouldn't be out of your control. You should get frustrated if something is difficult because you can get better at it, not because it's something unpredictable. Then also there is making all the flips look nice. You can do really slow flips if you want, which would never land on flat ground. But you might want to do a really slow tre flip down a big set, or a fat and slow kickflip over a big bump to drop. So you can do that, but on flat you wont catch it before it hits the ground. It's a fine balance between gameplay and control.

Also probably gonna add more animations in, there's only been two animation poses in the latest few videos. Imagine how much better it could look with actual animations. Again there is a lot of IK (inverse kinematics(read as code controlling foot placement)) involved as well, so it's not 100 percent controlled by animation. Anyways guys, thanks for those that keep up with this. You'll be the first I reach out to when I'm ready and confident for that kind of testing. I'm doing all I can.
    dank

Can I Kick It?

New video in the works. All about flip tricks.

Can I Kick It?

Also since flip tricks are pretty much done I thought I'd go back to working on the demo level. Here's another progress pic on it.

Once I get this in the game and half decent looking I'll film the video about flips.

Steam
    jesselack

Also since flip tricks are pretty much done I thought I'd go back to working on the demo level. Here's another progress pic on it.

Once I get this in the game and half decent looking I'll film the video about flips.

lookin good brother

Can I Kick It?

Thanks man I feel like you and only a few other people still keep up with this thread. Lol. I could post a video tonight showing flip tricks, but I wanted to get a rough version the demo level up and working for me to skate in first. So at least there's something interesting in the background as well. The video will likely be just flip tricks but the point of the video will be to show how you can style your own tricks and catch them. I could do a pop shuv so many different ways, I can do tre flips and steeze out my back foot or tuck it forward. You can catch one foot and leave the other hanging or move it around. Or catch with both feet. So the video will show all of that. If I get the demo level in the game even if it's not 100 percent how it will look when the demos ready, you'll get an idea of some of the spots that will be available in the demo.

Edit: Actually you could peep the spot out now if you wanted. It's an almost 1 to 1 replication of a real spot. It's legislative plaza in Nashville TN. It's all marble.
    Last edited by WestEnd; 01-20-2017 at 06:36 PM.

Thanks man I feel like you and only a few other people still keep up with this thread.
    I haven't been commenting because I don't have anything to add to the conversation, but I've been following every new reply. I'm sure I'm not the only one either, it's amazing to watch your progression with the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiltzuh View Post
    I skate unrealistic in real life...i just learned ungrindables at my local park !
    Videos; www.youtube.com/derwreck

Quote Originally Posted by NotedDerk View Post
    I haven't been commenting because I don't have anything to add to the conversation, but I've been following every new reply. I'm sure I'm not the only one either, it's amazing to watch your progression with the game.
    ditto.

Can I Kick It?

Awesome guys, hearing that helps keep me motivated.

I'm editing out what was a bit of a rant, because I would rather put out content. But the spirit behind what I wrote, was more or less that I am excited for the game and the controls I have. I can't reveal all the details just yet, but will soon. I will elaborate on some of the finer details of catching, pushing and otherwise styling your tricks out later down the road. I just want to keep that to myself until the time is right.

Here's another progress picture of the demo level.

Last edited by WestEnd; 01-21-2017 at 12:39 AM. Reason: blah

XBL
    DrMinagon

Always hyped for new post in this thread. Keep it up!

Can I Kick It?