Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: I bring a gift!

Just commented on youtube, I've been subscribed to you for a while now. I was watching some podcasts and saw that on the top of my feed, looks so great man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiltzuh View Post
    I skate unrealistic in real life...i just learned ungrindables at my local park !
    Videos; www.youtube.com/derwreck

Steam
    jesselack

Quote Originally Posted by WestEnd View Post
    this is everything i've ever wanted in a skateboarding game. can't wait for the final animations because those tricks look too good for the placeholder anims lol. The slow ass backfoot catch kickflips: love. the nollie heel with the steezed out back foot: love. the nollie big heel with the back foot(front foot??) catch: LOVE. This is looking awesome dude.

And just to reply to what you said earlier, i don't really have anything to add to the conversation earlier but I like providing my support, in whatever amount possible. I'm very interested in game development (but I'm absolutely terrible at math so it's pretty much a no-go for me) and i love seeing how games are made. You do a very good job of chronicling your progress and, like i said, I enjoy providing support.

quick edit: Also really liking how low the pop is. one of my biggest problems with the skate series was the fact that the highest ollie (and, subsequently, every other trick) you could flick in the game was literally the highest ollie in the world. I think it was Scott Blackwood or maybe Cuz who said on the EA Forums when the OG Demo first dropped that the max ollie height was based on the current world record. IMO it shouldn't be like that at all. Maybe for ollies you could do the highest ever, but for other fliptricks it should be varied. you don't see people throwing down 45" tre flips on flat ground
    Last edited by noobtard07; 01-21-2017 at 02:55 PM.
    RISE Sorable: why do something in a game you can do in real life

Can I Kick It?

Thanks again for the support guys. I completely agree about the height of tricks. Right now, for what ever reason, ollies seem to be a little floatier than doing flip tricks. I don't know if that's just an illision because the board isn't flipping but I don't like the feel of it, so it'll likely feel a little heavier to do ollies to keep on par with how flip tricks feel.

XBL
    emericaridr11

absolute killing it WestEnd, when time comes and you decide you need to make some maps/spots.... hit me up man Ive been making some rad realistic spots on Cinema4d for a while now

LOOKS SO FUN ALREADY!!!! goofy still animation wise of course but super slick man

Can I Kick It?

Thanks man haha. Yeah I could use help with the map, I am a programmer not a modeller, not an animator. Actually almost all the animations you guys saw were coded procedurally lol. But yeah, it'll get better with time. Anyways... here is another top secret bonus clip for you guys. Thought it might bring some nostalgia back if you guys remember the original first clip of skate.

Can I Kick It?

Okay, a better 5050 this time.

XBL
    DrMinagon

Looks sooo amazing!
    XL: DrMinagon
    Team Name: Minagon

Steam
    jesselack

Okay, a better 5050 this time.

would love to see an overcrook down this rail

Can I Kick It?

I've changed the joints a bit since the last video to better accommodate flip tricks. They aren't as stiff now, reason being if you catch the board crooked or real tweaked you'll still land and the board will self correct the players proper rotation. So currently he won't hold his weight forward enough to stay locked in.

I'm currently looking into methods for grinding. I'll try to stay away from magnetism, but I need to ensure the board aligns to the grind you intend to do, to some extent. It can't be purely physics based as weird things can happen, plus it's too hard to do any long grinds that way. I'll have to have some form of control over grinds

Steam
    The_Astonist
    XBL
    Cothes

Haven't been tuning in but the bails look hilarious.
    He gets back up too haha.
    Make sure you backup your work on a floppy disk bro. Super Safe.

I remember you saying there were no 'magnets' in your game, that last 50-50 clip showed the skater slightly rolling around on the rail at the end. That looked great to me, since locking in grinds was a simple task in the skate games because of the magnets. I would find so much more gratification for actually trying to lock in grinds, vs. the game mechanics just doing it for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiltzuh View Post
    I skate unrealistic in real life...i just learned ungrindables at my local park !
    Videos; www.youtube.com/derwreck

Steam
    jesselack

Quote Originally Posted by NotedDerk View Post
    I remember you saying there were no 'magnets' in your game, that last 50-50 clip showed the skater slightly rolling around on the rail at the end. That looked great to me, since locking in grinds was a simple task in the skate games because of the magnets. I would find so much more gratification for actually trying to lock in grinds, vs. the game mechanics just doing it for me.
    agreed. skate allowed this freedom to an extent by being able to land on a specific side of the rail/truck. you could make front feebles look real nice

Can I Kick It?

Quote Originally Posted by NotedDerk View Post
    There are a lot of design issues to work through. For one, certain grinds become almost entirely impossible to get into, and if you do they are impossible to hold for long, if it's entirely physics based. So with that there goes curved rails and half of the more difficult grinds.

Then, on the other side, if it's too easy it's no fun. I think the happy medium I'm looking for is a type of soft lock that has no magnetism but how you land determines the kind of soft lock that will happen. Something that you can fall off of, but will encourage you to continue down the rail or ledge as you intend, even if it curves. This will be complicated given the extreme amount of joints and physics involved. But I've done something similar on the prototype that you guys never got to see. The first physics build that had the death crash lol. It just wasn't the smoothest grinding because colliders would bounce along the rail/ledge

Can I Kick It?

So I went back and tightened up the joints when grinding so I was able to do this:

Steam
    The_Astonist
    XBL
    Cothes

I think the illusion of loose fluidity may come down to the animations while the skater kind of just lingers there between actions.
    I'll bet it is hard, but that's why it's good to have a vision or goals. Set out to hit your personal marks and have it be all you want instead of it being real life.
    The drawing board would be endless recreating real life skating. That is what I just thought anyhow, seeing that last video there.
    He looks stiff but the board remains loose. It's interesting seeing the process.

Can I Kick It?

I'll work on animations soon, gonna focus more on gameplay first. Animation can always be added on later, like sound.

Steam
    jesselack

So I went back and tightened up the joints when grinding so I was able to do this:

the overcrook

and the kickflip front feeb

this thread is killing it!

keep up the great work man!

Can I Kick It?

Thanks everyone I'm glad you enjoy the progress. Just a small update, I've been balancing manuals (lol) lately. There's some interesting issues that arise with manuals, not bugs just design choices.

For example, let's say you want to do a kickflip nose manual up and onto some manny pad. With flip tricks usually being around knee height or a little higher at max, it's very difficult to land in a nose manual. Or even catch it before you hit the ledge or manny pad. I can solve this a few ways. One is increase the max height of any pop. Or increase the max flip speed. These both come with the consequence of occasionally popping higher or flicking faster than you want, it just happens that way sometimes.

Currently if I'm trying to kickdlip nose manual on flat for instance. I have to flick it so that the board rotates forward towards a nose manual, catch it and continue to hold it forward to carry out the nose manny. If my board didn't flip forward but instead rocketed I won't likely be able to hold the nose manny without bonking my back trucks. When you land the board kinda bounces down a little while it balances out. This isn't a problem if the board is already rotated forward by the time you land, and the board has a good bouncy life added to it. But it can be a problem trying to flip into manuals on anything higher than the ground. At least with such a low pop height and flip speed.

The other thing I'm playing with is increasing the forward rotation speed and or the max angle you can catch the board forward and backwards if that makes sense. This way you can tweak your ollies and catch tricks more tweaked out than currently possible, but it also helps keep your back truck away from the ground when you first land into a nose manny. Same for manuals with the front truck.

In skate manuals were animated, like all tricks, and then a ragdoll uses custom hinge joints and applies torque and forces to match the animations. There are no board animations in mine for it to follow, just the forces I apply based on the input you give. So a manual in my game is just torque added until you're balanced. There is nothing stopping you from coming down and bashing all four wheels down if you couldn't rotate enough into the manual before you land. Or if the impact is too big and you can't hold the manual.

This also effects grinds, it's currently really hard to flip into ledges that are around knee high. It's not bad jumping down big handrails because you can gap out, but definitely some tweaking will have to be done
    Last edited by WestEnd; 01-27-2017 at 09:37 PM.

maybe do something like compression before the ollie (setup) versus the speed of the skater and the flick (velocity) impacting how much force you have created, height and distance.

max ollie height is at 45 inches, 1.14m roughly. thats a record I cant believe. o.O

talking nonsense here but would decreasing the gravity(or adding weight to the character/objects) with minor adjustments while increasing the height of the ollie compensate for floatiness and hangtime?

that nosegrind nollie heel out is amazing btw. everything since the year started is quite epic. kudos

Can I Kick It?

It seems that slightly increasing flip speed and increasing the max angle you can tweak stuff helps a lot. I know it's only a tiny manny pad in this video, but even the taller part connected to it I have no trouble doing kickflip nose mannies, bs flip fakie mannies etc. it becomes hard to do tre flips into mannies on the taller stuff though.

that was dope.

feet moving around for balance it looks like ahah. damn dude. amazing to say the least.

the feet moving is you setting for the next trick I imagine?

Can I Kick It?

Quote Originally Posted by saunders420 View Post
    that was dope.

feet moving around for balance it looks like ahah. damn dude. amazing to say the least.

the feet moving is you setting for the next trick I imagine?
    Yup.

Here's another video:

Yup.

Here's another video:

Its Lit..
    IM A BOSS ASS BITCH

Can I Kick It?

Wow guys, life is ironic. https://twitter.com/HuskyHog/status/825216875021869056 a senior manager at EA tweeting #skate4. So there it is. This game stood a chance precisely because there was a void since 2010 of any other skate game. They have the money and resources to make skate 4 infinitely better and more polished than I ever could. All this work and sacrifice, I'm not even sure if it's worth it anymore. I started this because I wanted the skate that never was, but now we are more than likely getting it. I just don't know what to think right now.

Wow guys, life is ironic. https://twitter.com/HuskyHog/status/825216875021869056 a senior manager at EA tweeting #skate4. So there it is. This game stood a chance precisely because there was a void since 2010 of any other skate game. They have the money and resources to make skate 4 infinitely better and more polished than I ever could. All this work and sacrifice, I'm not even sure if it's worth it anymore. I started this because I wanted the skate that never was, but now we are more than likely getting it. I just don't know what to think right now.
    if skate 4 ends up being nothing like the original trilogy, and rather physically plays Skate but is structured like thps, would you regret your decision to scrap it? it's a niche market and those aren't EAs strong suit. the odds aren't in their favor regarding giving the game to a studio that's actually passionate about skating. just some food for thought.

Steam
    The_Astonist
    XBL
    Cothes

I would like to see this polished and finished.
    You've come pretty far.
    You're right about it not being Skate 4, but I don't think it ever would be anyway.
    It's one thing to feel like it wasn't or isn't worth your time, it's another to think it won't live up to a certain standard.
    If Skate was the Fuel It never ran out, if anything it just got refilled.
    There Was EA Skate, and Tony Hawk is in the Corner Crying itself to Sleep Forever Alone.
    The thing That made Skate so good was the Control and Feel. I'm sure We can agree that Everything else is Debatable.

Steam
    jesselack

i honestly couldn't give less of a shit about some squid from ea tweeting that. unless they bring back blackbox and give them full creative control it's more than likely going to be nothing like the original. in which case, your creation would probably be far better received by the skateboarding community.

edit to add: you've also progressed a ton on this game in the last year and scrapping it simply over this would I think be a very poor idea. I don't know what you do for a job but what you've made already would look amazing on a resume haha
    Last edited by noobtard07; 01-29-2017 at 02:42 PM.

Don't Worry, Be Happy

Definitely don't give up.. I still want to play this.. look like you've made a lot of progress

I say keep it up or use it in an application to whatever studio is working on Skate 4.

I'd love to see it finished personally.

Also, do you want this thread like moved and stickied somewhere? Kinda like that it's always been in Introduction though, haha.

Steam
    The_Astonist
    XBL
    Cothes

I wanted to reiterate on my previous post a bit.
    What you Have here is unique. While not having any team you've accomplished what most don't seem to.
    I think in partial it's because you set your own rules and agenda but it's still inspiring. To see the thing through to it's entirety though, no one could take that from you.

just because skate might be coming out. we still need a legitimate announcement. besides....what we have all seen. Im sure people would donate to your cause in the future if you still plan to release something. Id give you loot to play this, never make yourself out to be less than something. You did all this by yourself

Can I Kick It?

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. For now, I'm going to try to clean up and smash some minor bugs and quirks before I continue to add stuff. Then I will likely properly add grinds in. After that I'll add maybe off board walking and running etc, complete the cycle between bailing and getting back on your board. After all that, I've still got to add goofy foot XD. Thankfully I've programmed it in such away as to abstract the controls from the effects, so when goofy all I have to do is swap one thing with the controls and then just make the animations for goofy stance.

Steam
    jesselack

inching towards a polayable demo

which i would literally pay for. honestly a lot of people would just based off what you have right now

Don't Worry, Be Happy

Quote Originally Posted by noobtard07 View Post
    inching towards a polayable demo

which i would literally pay for. honestly a lot of people would just based off what you have right now
    This is true. I would buy the app.. I play lots of skate games on my phone.. this one is in 3d person.. would be fun

Steam
    jesselack

Quote Originally Posted by EternalRewind View Post
    This is true. I would buy the app.. I play lots of skate games on my phone.. this one is in 3d person.. would be fun
    i would never play this game on my phone, it's built for a controller and a controller only. "Skater" is perfect for mobile

Definitely meant to be played with a controller.

Can I Kick It?

Yeah guys, this is going to be on PC and hopefully the consoles one day. You must have either an pc gamepad, xbox 360 wired controller, xbox one PC compatible controller, ps3/4 PC compatible controller.

Steam
    jesselack

Yeah guys, this is going to be on PC and hopefully the consoles one day. You must have either an pc gamepad, xbox 360 wired controller, xbox one PC compatible controller, ps3/4 PC compatible controller.

PCMR

wired xbox controllers are the best low budget gamepad option for PC gaming. plug and play, works flawlessly. Ps4 controllers can also connect to your pc/laptop if you have bluetooth, also very easy.

also, @west, what are your pc specs? I have a pretty beefy PC but im just wondering what someone like you who actually develops games is running

Can I Kick It?

gtx 1070
    i7 6700
    16gb ddr4 ram
    Pci-e NVMe 950 ssd