Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: I bring a gift!

Yes You Can!

Default I bring a gift!

Hey guys! My name is Jon West, I used to lurk here frequently back in the old days.
    Anyways, I thought I'd bring a gift.

WARNING: I am not an animator and a whole lot has to be tweaked.

Videos (Updated):
    Last edited by WestEnd; 06-11-2017 at 01:04 PM.

That's trippy, man. Welcome to Fluckit

Don't Worry, Be Happy
    Steam
    TheIronz
    XBL
    TheIronz

This looks promising! Keep at it man!

This isnt me being negative as I know you have said animations are all to be retweaked...

But I was genuinly laughing hard when he starts standing backwards and pushing in reverse and stuff!

Steam
    The_Astonist
    XBL
    Cothes

Yo that revert looks mad loose and fun haha.
    540s n stuff.
    Welcome.

Yes You Can!

Quote Originally Posted by TheIronz View Post

But I was genuinly laughing hard when he starts standing backwards and pushing in reverse and stuff!
    Hahaha glad you got a kick out of it. Some downright silly things happen sometimes. The pushing was just hacked together in the last 3 hours. I hope to get a Perception Neuron mocap suit soon, would really help with the animations. I have a lot of work to do with inverse kinematics on the pushing and some animation transition work to do.

I have no idea how things will go down when I start working in ollies and flips, let alone grinds. But I have an idea of how I'm gonna do it. Physics are a wonky thing sometimes.

Yes You Can!

Quote Originally Posted by Antwan View Post
    Yo that revert looks mad loose and fun haha.
    540s n stuff.
    Welcome.
    Thanks man! The powerslides feel really good, it's a lot of fun. You have to start getting momentum into a turn to keep spinning. I'll talk about the control scheme soon. But I know what you guys want, because it's the same thing I want. It's something I've been wanting to try and tackle for a long time.

XBL
    SKATAN 81

wow thats in 2 days !?!? by the way its been 5.5 years since skate is done . this game should be done since a longe time you lazy fool ... lol just kidding .. welcome :-)

Yes You Can!

Hah right? This will obviously take a long time to develop being solo at the moment with other work I have to do. But I will dedicate all my free time that my girl doesn't consume towards this. And as soon as I have something I'm satisfied with, I'll put a demo up for you guys to play. You'll need an Xbox controller hooked up to your PC though. I have another video coming soon, it's basically the same as the last one but I made the pushing miles better. It's still a little wonky but it's very early in development. Certainly a lot better than the last video.

Don't Worry, Be Happy
    Steam
    TheIronz
    XBL
    TheIronz

You are you gonna fit in around here.

Keep us posted.

Yes You Can!

Quote Originally Posted by TheIronz View Post
    You are you gonna fit in around here.

Keep us posted.
    I made the pushing miles better, still far from perfect. Updated the feet Ik to not look so silly. Gonna work on serious shit soon, like poppin ollies and what not. I want it to be realistic, and difficult. It will be nearly all physics based so anything might happen.

Little update:

Also maybe I should start a thread for updates? Where should I post it?

Steam
    jesselack

been wanting to do something like this for a long time. even downloaded
    unity but i had no idea what i was doing lol. really look forward to seeing what you come up with, and im always down to demo new games. especially physics based ones. ESPECIALLY physics based skateboarding games

XBL
    SKATAN 81

agree looks better now . just wait 1 day or 2 one of the admin maybe give your own section .

just a rendom question to someone with development skills , is it possible to make a mod of the skate serias ? re-skin skater and map and build on the trix and make it better ? like garrys mod ? allways when i see prob hunt in random maps like cod 4 or what else had to think about how amazing it would be to have this with a skateboard .

Yes You Can!

Hey guys! Sorry about the last video, it wasn't the video I meant to upload. This one is the actual update on pushing and Ik. It's MUCH smoother:

Quote Originally Posted by HCH Media View Post
    just a rendom question to someone with development skills , is it possible to make a mod of the skate serias ? re-skin skater and map and build on the trix and make it better ? like garrys mod ? allways when i see prob hunt in random maps like cod 4 or what else had to think about how amazing it would be to have this with a skateboard .
    I don't think the games were made with that in mind and I'm pretty sure they used their own engine, so if it were at all possible it would be crazy difficult.

i like how, even though there isn't much goin on, it still looks like a lot of fun. id roll around for a while with that guy that still hasn't learned how to ollie. skating is hard. that eskater is puttin in work to get his skills up.

Sweet, Keep up the hard work.

shit now I need another Fry meme.

wut
    SUPPORT YOUR HOMIES...

XBL
    SKATAN 81

amazing i could go for a ungrindable video even with this so far .. great job
    please ad manuals while powerslide so you can go for tailslides even in this early build :-)
    Last edited by HCH Media; 07-09-2015 at 02:09 PM.

for a second there i thought...

wait jon west like foundation jon west from way back?

this shit looks good though...
    james brown with the ankle work is kinda funny...

power back lip was dope...
    SUPPORT YOUR HOMIES...

Yes You Can!

amazing i could go for a ungrindable video even with this so far .. great job
    please ad manuals while powerslide so you can go for tailslides even in this early build :-)
    At the moment I am figuring out how to make a string out of analog stick input and then detecting gestures out of it. But as soon as I can get that figured out, you'll be able to set up each foot around different parts of the board.

I suppose I should take a moment to describe the control scheme I'm working on:

XBOX Controller.

On Ground Controls (For Regular foot):

Left Trigger - turn left
    Right trigger - turn right
    Left Trigger, then Right Trigger - fs powerslide
    Right Trigger then Left Trigger - bs powerslide
    Left Bumper - shift weight to nose
    Right Bumper - shift weight to tail
    A/X - push w/ left or right foot
    B - slow down with foot (you can slow down with powerslides too)
    Right Analog Stick - controls right foot
    Left Analog Stick - controls left foot

How will manuals work?

To do a manual, you have to hold the right bumper to shift your weight back and then use the right foot stick (right analog stick) to begin balancing a manual.
    For nose mannys it works the same but with the left bumper to shift your weight forward, then you balance with the left analog stick. I am still working out all the details, but it may require balancing with both sticks however that may get too tedious.

How do ollies and flip tricks work?

You have to set your feet up before flicking to get different tricks. To set up for an ollie, bring the right stick straight down and the left stick can either stay put or go straight down to put your foot in the middle of the board for a higher ollie. Snapping up on the right stick will pop your board. Remember this is physics based so it's just gonna rocket it up, you have to push the left stick up to level the board out. Just like a real ollie. How straight up you push the left stick up effects if the board will rotate or not. If you aren't perfectly up, your board might start to go into a kickflip or heelflip rotation, you may end up landing primo on an ollie.

If you do the same thing, right stick down and snap up, then left stick snap up and to the left, your board will start spinning like a kickflip. I'm working out now how it will be, but you'll have to catch the board to stop rotation.

If you bring the right stick down and to the right, you're putting your foot in that pocket for a tre flip, or three shuv. Slide it around fast enough and the board will start spinning like a 360 shuv it. If you slide it around but quickly flick the front stick up and left a little, it'll also add a kickflip spin to it making you do a 360 flip. It's all physics based adding forces to the board, so I don't know how it'll turn out with each flick.

How will you do fs flips and bs 360s etc?

The left and right triggers in the air will rotate you for fs and bs tricks. How far down you pull the trigger and how fast you pull it will decide how fast your rotation is. Again, set up will be important. Subtle details will make a difference, you don't bs 360 by setting up like an ollie, usually you get your toes in the back pocket and scoop. Maybe you'll land it setting up like an ollie but it will probably look way different than if you scoop it, that's assuming the board doesn't flip out on you before you get all the way around.

How about grinds?

It's going to be a combination of your angle when you hit the ledge or rail, where your left and right sticks are, and the weight modifiers(left and right bumper). This will probably be the most difficult part by far.

Again, I have no idea how these things will turn out, but I have a pretty good idea on how to program them. So wish me luck, I'll keep you guys updated.
    Last edited by WestEnd; 07-09-2015 at 02:33 PM.

Yes You Can!

Quote Originally Posted by Demzilla View Post
    for a second there i thought...

wait jon west like foundation jon west from way back?

this shit looks good though...
    james brown with the ankle work is kinda funny...

power back lip was dope...
    Thanks man, Demz you used to know me from way back, I was active in the community making videos and talking in the forums back when, but I can't for the life of me remember what my gamertag or username was then.

Also, I'm surprised someone knew about the old Jon West that rode for foundation. I'm not that Jon West but ironically I was flow for Tum Yeto for a bit (foundation/toy machine). If you want to watch some old footage of me skating, its in the same profile these videos are being linked through.

Steam
    jesselack

sounds amazing, cant wait to play. ill test the earliest build you could possibly release

i like the sound of the controls. ill be watching these updates closely. looks fun and the plans sound like they provide good depth.

XBL
    SKATAN 81

i will build on this post here to not spam too bad .. :-)

@B - slow down with foot (you can slow down with powerslides too)
    pressing b button is for the power slide part not a good idea because you have to take your finger off the right stick so you can´t hold the motion or start the next without loosing time in the controlls . agree with slow down

.ps. i'm just wondering do you really need a process (RT+LT) to power slide ? wouldnt it be more fluid if you just turn or ollie into a 90° angle and use the speed to powerslide ?

@How will manuals work?
    :-) maybe just the click down on right or left thumbstick could be something ?
    so you have to click down after ollie or flip to manual

@How do ollies and flip tricks work?
    :-) marry me <3

@How about grinds?
    :-) so no force to the object ? and not a pre-renderd motion ?
    Last edited by HCH Media; 07-09-2015 at 03:17 PM.

Yes You Can!

i will build on this post here to not spam too bad .. :-)

@B - slow down with foot (you can slow down with powerslides too)
    pressing b button is for the power slide part not a good idea because you have to take your finger off the right stick so you can´t hold the motion or start the next without loosing time in the controlls . agree with slow down

.ps. i'm just wondering do you really need a process (RT+LT) to power slide ? wouldnt it be more fluid if you just turn or ollie into a 90° angle and use the speed to powerslide ?
    B isn't for powerslides, it just slows you down like in Skate. And trust me on the powerslides, they feel amazing. Basically when you powerslide in real life you lean in like a turn then push with both your feet. When you turn in skateboarding it feels more like a lean (excluding pivots). The triggers do a great job of replicating this feel. When you start turning with the left trigger and then push the right trigger, if you aren't going super slow you'll start to frontside powerslide. It feels like you're pushing into the powerslide with the same kind of force and balance you need in real life.

I can't wait for you guys to be able to play it, but it'll be a while. When you do and you start powersliding you'll understand why. It also means that your angular velocity, or the momentum of your turn also effects the powerslide, letting you do 180s and 360s or more. This was actually purely emergent behavior that I was really happy to discover.

Steam
    The_Astonist
    XBL
    Cothes

I've got a ton of energy invested in session right now.
    Anyone who wants to do this type of thing has my support though.
    So long as it ends up polished in the end I'm down to back it.
    Looks like it's coming along fast. Good stuff. I'll be lookin out.
    I did watch your videos too.. Really interesting to see someone playing with games mechanics and early builds.
    You're good at skating too! Keep doing your thing homie.

XBL
    SKATAN 81

dude don't give me a heart attack
    all my last videos are about powerslides in ea skate i use them to skate ungrindables curbs without a pre-renderd grind or slide motion i just shreed in the right angle and position over it so maybe you like this right here ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7789ms6L_I )

Yes You Can!

@How will manuals work?
    :-) maybe just the click down on right or left thumbstick could be something ?
    so you have to click down after ollie or flip to manual

@How about grinds?
    :-) so no force to the object ? and not a pre-renderd motion ?
    I've thought about clicking down on the analog sticks being the catch button for flip tricks. That way you could catch with either foot, or both. Perhaps getting two feet on will be necessary to land. Lets say you through a wonky hardflip and your front foot is above it when you click so you catch it with your front foot. But you back foot isn't. If you just click down then you wont catch the back and you'll bail. But lets say you caught it with the front but the back foot isn't above it, lets say you push the right stick left cause the back of the board is to the left of your right foot, and then click maybe you'll catch it then and can rotate to finish out the trick.

And as far as grinds... I still have to get through everything else first, but I want to have no magnetism, but maybe just guidance by force and momentum. But imagine a world of only ungrindables... I'll have to come up with some sort of system that will change the way you slide across based on what part of the board hits when you get on there, where your sticks are, you're weight modifier and momentum.

Fluckin' Hatchling

Jon this is rad man! I am a Unity developer myself, looks impressive so far. You writing your own physics code for this?

Yes You Can!

dude don't give me a heart attack
    all my last videos are about powerslides in ea skate i use them to skate ungrindables curbs without a pre-renderd grind or slide motion i just shreed in the right angle and position over it so maybe you like this right here ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7789ms6L_I )
    That video was super sick!

Quote Originally Posted by alex10s View Post
    Jon this is rad man! I am a Unity developer myself, looks impressive so far. You writing your own physics code for this?
    I'm using rigidbodies and constraining/adding force/torque to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Antwan View Post
    Looks like it's coming along fast. Good stuff. I'll be lookin out.
    I did watch your videos too.. Really interesting to see someone playing with games mechanics and early builds.
    You're good at skating too! Keep doing your thing homie.
    Thanks alot man! I'll do my best for you guys.

Yes You Can!

New video:

You use the left stick to move the left foot, the right stick to move the right foot. You can set up nearly any trick this way.

I'll probably be doing a reverse Q&A in the next day or so to ask you guys about certain features and how to implement them best. I have a few solid ideas and want to know what you think about them.

Also anytime you want to ask a question or suggest something please do, I'm all for it.
    Last edited by WestEnd; 07-09-2015 at 09:40 PM.

XBL
    emericaridr11

hahaha looks so fun, love the way certain set ups look, like a nasty looking heelflip
    thats tight

and that powerslide feet together, now get some funky balancing going when that shit happens.... Love It!!

holy crows. that looks great.

XBL
    Stokenstein

Welcome! This looks pretty slick.

Yes You Can!

Thanks everybody for the warm welcome and critiques!

I just spent hours on end remaking all the animations for Goofy footed people. I figured it's time to properly implement it now rather than shoot myself later.

First question before I go to sleep:

Would you rather the controls reverse when switch?

For example, in Skate if you did a 180 and quickly held the stick down to some degree, your controls would be reversed, as in what would be a nollie heel would still be a fakie flip. You know what I'm talking about?

OR

Should it instantly swap so that what would be a kickflip regular would be a kickflip switch. Does that make sense?

Der Mohn Tintenfisch PoppySquidJr's Avatar
    Steam
    PoppySquidJr
    XBL
    the Luftwaffe

Quote Originally Posted by WestEnd View Post
    Thanks everybody for the warm welcome and critiques!

I just spent hours on end remaking all the animations for Goofy footed people. I figured it's time to properly implement it now rather than shoot myself later.

First question before I go to sleep:

Would you rather the controls reverse when switch?

For example, in Skate if you did a 180 and quickly held the stick down to some degree, your controls would be reversed, as in what would be a nollie heel would still be a fakie flip. You know what I'm talking about?

OR

Should it instantly swap so that what would be a kickflip regular would be a kickflip switch. Does that make sense?
    I'm gonna throw a vote in for switching controls, it's what we're used to and feels familiar, but moreso than that it adds the extra challenge to switch that would otherwise be non-existant
    GT: the Luftwaffe
    Steam: ♣ PoppySquidJr ®²

Haven't had Xbox Live in a long time, but feel free to add me if you play Dragon's Dogma I guess, the pawn stuff still works with silver lol

Yes You Can!

Quote Originally Posted by PoppySquidJr View Post
    I'm gonna throw a vote in for switching controls, it's what we're used to and feels familiar, but moreso than that it adds the extra challenge to switch that would otherwise be non-existant
    Okay this gets a little confusing.. Switch as in reverse controls? Or kick flip is a kickflip switch or regular?

I guess you mean reverse them so a fakieflip would be the motion of a nollie heel normally?

Update: At the moment you can now ride Goofy, all the animations are new so they look a bit different. Some things are still a little wonky goofy footed though.
    The controls play like switch at the moment, which is upside down (as if riding switch regular at the moment) from normal. I want to change that tomorrow, so that if your stance is goofy then popping ollies would be the same as regular. A goofy footed kickflip would be done like a regular heelflip.

Update 2: I may start working on popping ollies tomorrow after I clean up the goofy footed stuff. I have no idea how this will go, it might get real real ugly.
    Last edited by WestEnd; 07-10-2015 at 01:43 AM.

Don't Worry, Be Happy
    Steam
    TheIronz
    XBL
    TheIronz

This looks like we.could INVENT new tricks! I love the possibilities in gaming today!

i know what youre talking about and that way worked so well. you get used to the controls for natural stance and you have to concentrate a tad on the switch variants as theyre reversed.

Yes You Can!

Quote Originally Posted by EmmitBrown View Post
    i know what youre talking about and that way worked so well. you get used to the controls for natural stance and you have to concentrate a tad on the switch variants as theyre reversed.
    That's how I feel. Playing around with it today though, it feels good but looks weird because you're seeing your feet re-position in directions opposite that you are moving the stick. It's messes with my mind a bit.

Der Mohn Tintenfisch PoppySquidJr's Avatar
    Steam
    PoppySquidJr
    XBL
    the Luftwaffe

Quote Originally Posted by WestEnd View Post
    That's how I feel. Playing around with it today though, it feels good but looks weird because you're seeing your feet re-position in directions opposite that you are moving the stick. It's messes with my mind a bit.
    Yea I can see how that'd be really weird... Jarring discord between visual and physical input. At the end of the day it's up to you to decide which is better to work with, unless you can get something playable out before finalizing the decision haha
    GT: the Luftwaffe
    Steam: ♣ PoppySquidJr ®²

Haven't had Xbox Live in a long time, but feel free to add me if you play Dragon's Dogma I guess, the pawn stuff still works with silver lol