Thread: Capturing on Ubuntu (Linux)

XBL
    TheDietTea

Default Capturing on Ubuntu (Linux)

So for the longest time I thought capturing gameplay from a game console on Linux was impossible.
    If you're unfamiliar, Linux is a different operating system, an alternative to windows.
    It can get pretty technical, a lot of terminal commands to get things moving.
    It is completely free though and now finally, Ive stumbled across people capturing successfully through it.
    This is by no means a permanent solution for me even if I get it to work but there may be a sort of last hurrah involved with skate footage I've been stacking.
    On top of Linux being completely free so is its software.
    There's a video editing suite for it called KdenLive, very similar to Sony Vegas.
    So, just something cool to share I thought.
    Ive had the worst luck with windows.
    If anyone's interested in this Ill let you know what's going on.
    If I can figure it out anyone can, not too tech savvy, might be a better alternative even.
    Maybe not, I just know I couldn't keep viruses off of windows and Linux has virtually none.
    Last thing Ive heard is most are not playing games successfully through Linux.
    Strictly capturing and editing. I've never had an elite setup so this sounds DOPE to me.

Steam
    jesselack

in terms of actually playing games i think only like 2% of steam games support linux lol. but the free editing suite sounds nice

XBL
    TheDietTea

Yeah, exactly. The initial thought for Linux users is to install windows using a virtual PC or a mirroring program called Wine. It doesn't work in every scenario though. My back up PC has always had Linux Ubuntu on it so seeing this now is great having no other means to get an edit done and not trusting windows! Haha.

XBL
    TheDietTea

So I haven't completely given up on the OS on USB yet.
    Got up early and tried some new things..
    I am able to capture, convert, edit and render.
    The only problem is capturing itself.
    Quality is standard but better than a phone so it would do if I can stop the stream from lagging.
    Theories or suggestions appreciated.
    VLC player is an option, just can't get it to see the Dazzle DVC 100.
    It's a bit trickier as I cannot install the standard cap card driver in Linux.
    Progress though. Took a minute to get this far haha.
    I'll shell some bucks later if I must but I see potential for now.