Thread: Anybody know how to make this kick drum?

Fluckin' Hatchling

Default Anybody know how to make this kick drum?

Been pissing around in Ableton for like a month making some synthwave-y, kavinsky kinda stuff and I've started remaking tracks from different genres I'm interested in just to kinda broaden my abilities.

And so I started this track today and I spent hours upon hours trying to figure out how to recreate the sustained kick drums but to no avail.
    Everything else is more or less finished and I've got (kinda) similar sounding kick drums using some subtle reverb on an 808 kick and a separate sub-bass but they're just nowhere near as heavy.

I know some of you guys produce quality music and you're all super friendly so I thought I'd try here first.

Here's the track:
    https://soundcloud.com/driptothedrop...echa-dreams-ep

Oh and I'm not looking to copy anything or steal any artist's sound, it's purely just for study purposes.

Thanks guys ^^

XBL
    TheDietTea

I would say just contact the creator..
    I've done this in the past and most are friendly.
    One guy even sent me an instrumental for free use once.
    Some producers also feel their methods and beats are worth more than that.
    Rightfully so, charge for it, may not give you a step by step but you never know.
    Reach out.

Fluckin' Hatchling

I messaged him like a month ago on Soundcloud but he's not replied.
    I don't think he's been active for a while though unless he's just ignored it.

I know it's an 808 kick with a sub bass but I can't get the 'boom' sound that his have.

XBL
    TheDietTea

Yeah? Fair enough.
    I haven't started making instrumentals yet.
    If I knew I would tell you..
    A lot of people are linked in these days though.
    Probably somewhere they can be reached, so long as they are actively creating.
    I honestly think talking with the creator is the best option.
    You're trying to learn their program or technique and anyone else would just theorize on how to get it done.
    Cool to hear you've gotten close though, you'll likely figure it out with the right resource.
    Could also try looking up tutorials on your specific program(s) if you haven't already.

Fluckin' Hatchling

He seems like a humble dude and I'm sure he'll give me some tips at least but like I said, I don't think he's been active for nearly 2 months. :/
    It's not like a special kick that's unique to him though, that's why I came here to see if anyone knew anything about mixing 808's with a sub-bass.
    I've searched for tutorials but they're all too specific, they teach you how to make a particular sound and don't really explain how it works so I'm left not knowing how to fine tune it to my own needs.

I've tried hitting the books too but I still cant figure it out.

I appreciate the advice though pal.
    I think I'll just keep experimenting while I wait for him to reply.
    Meanwhile, if anyone knows the secret to fat, bassy 808 kicks then hmu ^^