Thread: XBOX 360 emulation

Steam
    wrayayrton

Default XBOX 360 emulation

I have a pretty nice PC and would like to use an Xbox emulator to play one of the many downloadable skate 3 .iso files on my pc.
    I have found several different emulators and several different .isos
    does anyone have any experience with this? I'd love some suggestions as to the best way to do it, or if I should use a ps3 emulator, etc.

Steam
    wrayayrton

i tried a bunch of them turns out they're all bullshit and viruses lol unless somebody knows a real functional method for this, this thread can be locked.

XBL
    TheDietTea

I guess theoretically a computer could run Xbox 360 games these days with the right build.
    Not exactly a legal way to go about it, could've guessed there would be shady outcomes.
    Best to wait for Project: Session, an actual skateboarding game release for PC will be so much better.
    I've been studying the skate trailers lately, to think they made them on a PC..
    If we get something even close to that realistic, fluid, it really will be the pinnacle of the genre.

Der Mohn Tintenfisch PoppySquidJr's Avatar
    Steam
    PoppySquidJr
    XBL
    PoppySquidJr

Quote Originally Posted by Antwan View Post
    I guess theoretically a computer could run Xbox 360 games these days with the right build.
    Not exactly a legal way to go about it, could've guessed there would be shady outcomes.
    Best to wait for Project: Session, an actual skateboarding game release for PC will be so much better.
    I've been studying the skate trailers lately, to think they made them on a PC..
    If we get something even close to that realistic, fluid, it really will be the pinnacle of the genre.
    This is overestimating emulation a bit. Emulation (typically) requires almost 4-5x the actual power of the original hardware to properly replicate in software. This is why an older computer struggles with dreamcast/Ps2 emulation. It will probably be a good few years before x360/ps3 emulation could even be reasonably considered.
    The artist formerly known as Luft

XBL
    TheDietTea

I don't know, I mean, if modern PCs are really better than current gen consoles I would picture emulators being fine.
    I guess I looked at it a bit like backwards compatibility though..
    If Xbox one can do 360, why not a modern PC?
    Haven't learned much about emulation but I didn't think it was that intensive.
    Another misconception I had was ROMs not being modern because the consoles were older or discontinued.
    Sounds less likely you'd be pegged if they've moved on. Assumptions..

Steam
    wrayayrton

xbox one and xbox 360 are likely similar architecture and instructions. to emulate xbox on a pc youd essentially have to have a software interpret every xbox command and translate it to be processed by a computer is what i have gathered from my brief 20 minutes of internet research about emulation. my computer is easily able to run modern ps4/xbox one games made for PC so I kinda got excited that I'd be able to just get an emulator and download a skate 3 iso and chug away making dope skate 3 edits and using fraps to record animation references haha. no big deal

Der Mohn Tintenfisch PoppySquidJr's Avatar
    Steam
    PoppySquidJr
    XBL
    PoppySquidJr

Quote Originally Posted by wrayayrton View Post
    xbox one and xbox 360 are likely similar architecture and instructions. to emulate xbox on a pc youd essentially have to have a software interpret every xbox command and translate it to be processed by a computer is what i have gathered from my brief 20 minutes of internet research about emulation. my computer is easily able to run modern ps4/xbox one games made for PC so I kinda got excited that I'd be able to just get an emulator and download a skate 3 iso and chug away making dope skate 3 edits and using fraps to record animation references haha. no big deal
    It's still not that simple unfortunately . You have to make it simulate the processing of these commands in another program, which grows to an exponentially more taxing system the more high-end the system gets. Even 3DS emulators can't get any further than loading a game at single digit FPS right now.

My old laptop could CRUSH PS2 era games for PC (as most PCs could nowadays), but can't run a PS2 emulator. It's the same concept.

Hell, we don't even have a playable emulator for the original xbox yet for these reasons (the ps2 architecture is more adaptable to PCs [The wii's too, surprisingly], making that easier to emulate than most systems)

Don't think of it like running an x360 era game on your PC, think of it as running an x360 era game in a virtual box (or a virtual box within a virtual box, for microsoft systems). It starts getting real sketchy.

TL;DR I don't want to be a downer, but it's better to just pull that bandaid off now. I wouldn't expect a working 360 emulator for several years. Maybe a PS3 emulator within the next few, maybe.

Another point to kinda make it easier to understand: If emulation was as easy as being able to run that era of a game on your computer, then "bad ports" wouldn't be a thing in the industry because games wouldn't need to be ported to or from PC.
    Last edited by PoppySquidJr; 08-20-2015 at 01:34 PM.
    The artist formerly known as Luft

^^ exactly. you have to use your processing power to emulate the chipset to send the "instructions" through and then the game on top of that. it's why you need an i5 or i7 to run dolphin emulator and run gamecube games and you still can't run them all.

XBL
    TheDietTea

Pretty interesting, did not know that about emulation.
    Any reason you suspect PS3 before 360 Poppy?

Wray, replying to your animation thread here.
    It won't load on my phone when I attempt to reply haha.
    I think that last one might technically be a tailwalk?
    Was thinking an airwalk is grabbing the nose.
    Still, great work as usual. I really dig the crazier ones personally.
    Shows more of what can be done I think.

if your really interested wray, dolphin emulator(wii) and skate it. those exists virus free on the internet somewhere. Just dont fall for any more bugs lol