The problem with high detail textures with cel shading is that it makes the cel shading look like a crutch for subpar graphics, even if it isn't.
that was exactly what I was using it as, also as a way to have a cool looking style from a simple 3ds max viewport preview

(just look at the new Tony Hawk game's recent attempt to use cel-shading)
maybe this is an unpopular opinion around here but I think the new tony hawk game looks fucking sweet

That being said, simpler textures, models, and overall graphics have absolutely zero impact on how realistic the animations would have to be, that's only if you change the actual proportions of the limbs and such.
and that's the plan, i plan to make a few departures from absolute realism in the ability to have ridiculous lines, and thus the animations will reflect that. originally I just went for a different height and colour interaction for the characters of my skate animations, not quite so much changing the sillhouette, but although that makes character creation easier with the use of direct photos to textures, I think a hand-drawn flat shaded look would make this stuff more immediately discernable from every other skate game, but it kind of takes the game's appearance further away from the "magical realism" that skate 3 aimed for in which a detailed believable scene is invaded by something unbelievable or impossible i.e. a 360 hardflip nosebluntslide nollie 360flip out