Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Der Mohn Tintenfisch PoppySquidJr's Avatar
    Steam
    PoppySquidJr
    XBL
    PoppySquidJr

Quote Originally Posted by wrayayrton View Post
    tbh that's kinda what I thought looked cool is the combo of celshading with realistic textures. I will continuously be updating the character models and may go for more low-poly versions with less photorealistic textures but I like the scenery as is. If I was to make lower polygon more basic chararacters however, It would probably drive more simplicity into the animations and scenery too and idk if thats really what I wanna do for a PC skateboarding game centric around realism. jet grind radio looks cool but it is in no way based on realism.

the most important moments I hope to capture is the satisfaction you get in skate and ssx as you see a really complicated line or string of tricks barely landed, then go in and look at the fabulously animated replay from all angles. but hopefully the moment will be more satisfying due to the string of failed attempts preceding it

even if i keep mental ray mode, I'm gonna have to do lower quality preview viewport renders just so my computer doesnt have to shit itself every time I try and render out an animation
    The problem with high detail textures with cel shading is that it makes the cel shading look like a crutch for subpar graphics, even if it isn't. Cel-shading is meant to be used as a stylistic choice to lighten the GPU load on a game, but generally speaking people find cel-shading with realistic textures to be really muddy and gross (just look at the new Tony Hawk game's recent attempt to use cel-shading)

That being said, simpler textures, models, and overall graphics have absolutely zero impact on how realistic the animations would have to be, that's only if you change the actual proportions of the limbs and such. Many 3D Indie games, for example, focus on highly detailed animations to compensate for the graphics being literal stand-in graphics and simple templates.
    Last edited by PoppySquidJr; 09-08-2015 at 11:50 AM.
    The artist formerly known as Luft