Thread: Kick Flick

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Steam
    wrayayrton

The problem with high detail textures with cel shading is that it makes the cel shading look like a crutch for subpar graphics, even if it isn't.
    that was exactly what I was using it as, also as a way to have a cool looking style from a simple 3ds max viewport preview

(just look at the new Tony Hawk game's recent attempt to use cel-shading)
    maybe this is an unpopular opinion around here but I think the new tony hawk game looks fucking sweet

That being said, simpler textures, models, and overall graphics have absolutely zero impact on how realistic the animations would have to be, that's only if you change the actual proportions of the limbs and such.
    and that's the plan, i plan to make a few departures from absolute realism in the ability to have ridiculous lines, and thus the animations will reflect that. originally I just went for a different height and colour interaction for the characters of my skate animations, not quite so much changing the sillhouette, but although that makes character creation easier with the use of direct photos to textures, I think a hand-drawn flat shaded look would make this stuff more immediately discernable from every other skate game, but it kind of takes the game's appearance further away from the "magical realism" that skate 3 aimed for in which a detailed believable scene is invaded by something unbelievable or impossible i.e. a 360 hardflip nosebluntslide nollie 360flip out

Steam
    wrayayrton

And now, for all of the camera possibilities I have considered. also, the pros/cons of each. any other suggestions of cameras you guys can think or more pros/cons of the current ideas are encouraged

Still Topdown Cam:

Pros- no skate game has been done like this, would allow for more mobile/mouse centric gameplay (i.e. drawing/brushing the skater's path and then hitting key commands for tricks necessary along the way), will be much less of a task and probably in the end allow for more simple physics without close scrutinization of animation that closer cams bring
    Cons- requires a system for moving the camera to be separate from controlling the skater, kind of static, not really that exciting

Improved Skate Cam:

Pros- sick as fuck, exciting, allows for a more recognizable gameplay style, good for realism and ridiculousness
    Cons- VERRRRY difficult to make I'm sure,

Sidescroller Cam:

Pros- my anims look best this way IMO, MUUUUCH simpler to program skateboarding game results (2.5 D)
    Cons- sidescroller makes realism very difficult to mimic, also requires levels designed especially for 2d skating, much less creativity

Topside Cam Locked to Skater:

Pros- Could be part of the topdown (brush skating) idea I had (keybind will lock camera to char), if not would make for interesting control scheme, much more mobile-phone accessable
    Cons- less impact, no thought has yet been put into whether turning will be possible or simply "lane changing" this way.

THPS/third person platformer Cam

Pros- Game becomes inviting to THPS FANS, more focus on scenery
    Cons- Game becomes repulsive to SKATE FANS, less likely to be a simulation experience at this angle/distance

Foot Cam

Pros- much more grounded to skateboard tricks, less focus on arms/ top body animations, keeps game in realistic scope
    Cons- skater blocks much of the screen, needs to understand whether youre going at something backside or frontside, you dont get to see the fingers (my fav part) as much

Steam
    wrayayrton

nobody even commented on the last one but heres another game-related animation. I've decided to redo all the character models in a much more "lowpoly" style, and will post an update on that soon

I like the animations. The skater's body is moving and alive.
    Horsehead
    "like a gnarly dog on PCP with gold teeth biting your face."

XBL
    TheDietTea

I think the option to switch between cameras would be good.
    Side scrolling cameras are okay for linear games.
    I'm guessing you're approaching an open world game with the compacted spots just around that rooftop even.
    Would be cool to see some bailing animations too!
    Your game, just some ideas, if you want them.

Steam
    wrayayrton

Going to redesign all the characters to be much more basic, flat, lowpoly, and cartoony because it's looking more and more like mobile may be the best platform for someone like me to first try making a skateboarding game, also I plan to make the sillhouettes much more distinct and drive the "character driven" SSX tricky aspect of the game. the idea is still to have the same animation style and realism but at this point I'm pretty sure the scenery will be having an overhaul too

@antwan- bails is a good idea. I typically have more fun animating the skateboarding and figure bails in game wouls just be ragdoll physics, but I maybe can post a few examples up here since its true it would be smart to start looking early at how to make such a system
    Last edited by wrayayrton; 10-02-2015 at 07:56 PM.

Steam
    wrayayrton

heres another video update with some new animations