Thread: Lav mic vs shotgun mic

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Lav mic vs shotgun mic

I'm currently getting everything together for a short film for s film festival for my school. But as of right now I'm not sure which is better for the video I'm shooting. I know shotgun is good for run and gun but I can tell lav mics better. But for the shoot I'm shooting it in an abandon building. I'm just worried cops may come, but the person that shown me it say people shoot stuff all the time and never got the cops there. I can get smart lavs from my school to use. The only problem is I never used them for my own video. How do you go by organizing the audio you want? I don't want a ton of audio files and not knowing which is the one I wanted from earlier. But the shotgun mic I have is the rode shotgun mic which is fairly good. But anyways enough with all the writing. What do you guys think about this?

this is a tough one. What the scenario? and is the dialogue more important than the cinematography?

If you can....use both. You wont regret it. but let me know what the scene is and I could maybe get an idea of what could help maybe.

Both, I don't want to lack in either since both are very important. But I'll give you the general idea since I'm still developing the story. 2 or 3 friends (depends how much actors I can get) are going to go see if the myth that a spirit comes back and goes after anyone that comes in the building on Halloween. As any other horror story you can see how this unfolds just by that brief scenario right there aha.

shit eh. You can only use one or the other right..?

Think if you were to use the shotgun, will it prevent you from doing stuff, whatever the case, same with the lavs.

Find the pros vs cons. if one outweighs the other use that one.

hell even go grab a random audio recorder's for cheap if you want and lay em around to capture the whole thing to timestamp the rest of your work.
    Last edited by saunders420; 09-09-2015 at 08:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by saunders420 View Post
    shit eh. You can only use one or the other right..?

Think if you were to use the shotgun, will it prevent you from doing stuff, whatever the case, same with the lavs.

Find the pros vs cons. if one outweighs the other use that one.

hell even go grab a random audio recorder's for cheap if you want and lay em around to capture the whole thing to timestamp the rest of your work.

I own the shotgun mic but the lav mics id have to get from my school. Sadly i never used a lav mic and never went through organizing audio or hooking them up. Shotgun would work easier but i think the lav would give better quality.

yeah use the lavs. Get to know them. always good to learn new tech and the process behind it. Dont be intimidated. Just extra work.

also if you really need a different sound, if it doesnt come out right///post work, you could always try and repair the audio, try to mix it to how you want it to sound.