Thread: Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 Review

Default Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 Review

I'll just start this off with saying this game is complete trash, as many of you already expected. I did not purchase the game, merely rented it for 4 dollars.
    (I've highlighted the main points of this in bold, in case you didn't want to read it all.)

When I was finally finished with the 7 GB day one update, (which is twice as big as the game itself) I was thrown into the introduction video, showcasing all the pros in the game. It was the usual THPS fashion and I liked that part, it took a huge downward spiral after that video though. The main menu just plays the same video in the background and I got the feeling it was causing issues for the menus to load because there were some awkward pauses just to create and load a new profile save. I take a glance at the main menu and see a few options, Play being number one, so no career mode to speak of. Next, I see Customize Skater, and this was a huge let down for me. Definitely the most dumb thing I've seen so far in my ten minutes of playing. You don't get to create your own skater, you heard me right, there is no New Skater slot for you to start off fresh with a completely stripped down dude with no stats and basic tricks. You have to pick one of the pros, or secret characters, to override their appearance to make your own. Not only is this ridiculous, but the customizing options are limited as fuck. You can't even pick and choose between shirts/pants/hats/etc., it's divided into three sections, and not even what you would think. There is 'Head' 'Body' and 'Board,' you can't even have a certain shirt with a different pair of pants, they are just set outfits you have to pick from. I couldn't even change their tricks after overriding one of the characters. I already knew this game would be trash because of Robomodo, but not even a half-decent custom skater? Fuck you Robomodo.

Next I see on the menu, Create-A-Park, always a classic for the franchise as a whole, I personally think Proving Ground showed the most potential when it comes to this mode on the franchise. Proving Ground let you freely rotate and place objects, where as before you were stuck to a grid and could only rotate objects 90 degrees. First thing I see when opening Create-A-Park on here is five themes, picked one of them at random. After I picked my theme, I see a screen for Park Size with small, medium, and large, and there is another let down. The older TH games would let you customize the park size by moving one side in or out. You could make a slim long park, or just a massive square, you get the idea. The thing with that was, if you made it bigger, you had less space to place more objects, made sense. Since I see these three sizes, I'm going to assume you can place a lot more objects in a small park, and a lot fewer if you choose large. I picked large and the first thing I notice, these fucking themes have a set layout that you just have to work around. I'm talking various heights, slopes, walls, and you can't delete any of this stuff if you don't want it there. I'm browsing the objects and there is a nice variety to work with. You can change the skins on most of the objects, mainly to fit the theme you picked, but you can choose between any of them. After picking a ramp and moving it around, I was stuck to the same 90 degree grid as previous TH games had. However, you can place objects wherever you like, at whatever height you want, (No merging though) you can make the ramp a few inches above the ground or go about 20 feet above the park. After placing a few things here and there, I tested it to see how it ran. Having just placed 5 objects and skating around, I saw a severe frame rate drop, and not due to the pieces I added. It just runs like shit even with nothing in it, I deleted the objects and tested again, and the same thing occurred. It goes from roughly 60 frames to about 15-20 the entire time. After experiencing that, I just had to exit and start to see how the actual game played, because everything thus far was so fucking disappointing, and infuriating, that I couldn't take it anymore.

If you thought that wasn't bad enough, oh boy do I have a treat to share with you. The gameplay is the absolute worst part of this game. I'm sure about 80% of you don't like the TH games to begin with, since we're all fans of skate, but this is the biggest dump on the franchise that I have ever seen. (I'm not including Ride, or Shred, for obvious reasons.) The few of you that do enjoy the TH games like I do, this is even worse than THPS HD. They managed to fuck up the physics of the game as a whole even more then before. The controls are wonky and unresponsive, they suggest you push with RT for fuck's sake. You can just hold A and go, like in older titles, but when you play the tutorial, they tell you to use RT. Your skater has super human powers and ollies ten feet in the air, even with the slightest tap of the A button, this is before I have even boosted any of my stats, by the way. (I understand the THPS games are arcade styled, but you could ollie at a reasonable height in the previous titles.) Not only is this weird for the game itself, I can't even imagine how hard it would be to properly set up a custom park to work with it. The animations for combining tricks, even just the tricks in general, is so horrible to look at. Their idea of a Wall Plant animation is just a one foot tailgrab, and that doesn't look good at all. There is only two speeds to this game, either go fast as fuck, or not at all. There is also frame rate issues within the normal levels. The game would suffer texture pop-ins even in enclosed areas, such as the berrics. You can NOT get off, or on, your board in this stupid game. Why the fuck was this a good decision to not put that in? Then again, I'm questioning why they released anything at all with how bad everything works. Next thing that comes to mind is the special meter, if you want to do more unique tricks, you have to push LB to 'activate' it. You can't just start doing those tricks until it's activated. Another thing that sucks ass about that is, you can't activate it until you land a decent combo. So if you're capable of maintaining a combo for multiple minutes, you're screwed on doing special tricks until you land once and start again. This is the part that is completely unexpected and unwelcomed. Once you activate special and start doing tricks, everything gets a 'special form' to it, rather then doing commands to use them. Back in the previous titles, if you got special, you had to input two directions and a button to use them. This game just changes a single kickflip to a triple flip if you're special is active. Another brilliant idea from the guys at Robomodo, once you think you've taken enough shit from this, they just throw more at you. There is also random dumb effects like Shaun White Skateboarding has, not to the extent of a circle bursting from your board every time you land, but you'll see sparkles and a wavy trail behind you, here and there. The soundtrack was fairly average, a few catchy tunes between every third, or so, song. Nothing worth remembering though, probably the best part of the entire game.

edit: I just noticed this from looking at other's reviews, but you can't fucking fall from balance anymore. If you messed up in the older titles and couldn't keep your balance during a grind, or manual, you would bail. Simple as that, learn to keep it straight and in the middle or lose your shit, now the game just ends your combo, but you keep the score. Another thing to add to the shit list of this game. They treat you like you're a toddler, incapable of grasping the concept of the slightest mechanics like balancing, so you get a special participation award, even if you fuck up a combo, with an automatic land, yippee!

I went into this expecting shit, as is typical Robomodo fashion and got exactly that, this game lets you down in more ways you can count, and goes even further then that!

As Adam Sessler might have rated it, I give it 1 half-assed cash grab...out of 5. (If you wanted a 1-10 scale, I'd still say 1, yes it's that bad)
    Last edited by NotedDerk; 09-30-2015 at 02:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiltzuh View Post
    I skate unrealistic in real life...i just learned ungrindables at my local park !
    Videos; www.youtube.com/derwreck

wow.

i read the whole thing

Quote Originally Posted by EmmitBrown View Post
    wow.

i read the whole thing
    Tears still rolling for Tony. Its a fucking shame. I can only imagine that he got robbed once again by robomodo, Id take them to court for an unfinished game and unrepresentation of himself lol....probably too late for that hahahaha. Croc of shiiieet unfortunately, I bought HD like a fool, I know I wont even give 4 dollars to play this....thats the sad part. I really will never support robomodo. Just a damn shame
    Last edited by saunders420; 09-29-2015 at 09:22 PM.

Fluckit Master

Well written review Derk. I haven't played it, but after seeing the first gameplay video, fuck even the screenshots I was put off.

Now I hope every fucking developer will understand that thps is dead and should remain dead. It's and old outdated game that was good enough for the late 90's and early 2000, but shit today.

Robomodo wont get any money from me, nor did I plan to give them any to start with either. I'll settle for a middle finger instead.

Steam
    wrayayrton

thats a shame! I bought HD and thought it was sick and that the animations especially looked great. yes they are very cartoony and over the top but thats part of the fun! I still plan on trying THPS5 to get my own ideas of it. maybe next gen tony hawk will improve when they remake THUG or proving ground lol

Quote Originally Posted by Seanne1986 View Post
    Well written review Derk. I haven't played it, but after seeing the first gameplay video, fuck even the screenshots I was put off.
    Now I hope every fucking developer will understand that thps is dead and should remain dead. It's and old outdated game that was good enough for the late 90's and early 2000, but shit today.
    Robomodo wont get any money from me, nor did I plan to give them any to start with either. I'll settle for a middle finger instead.
    Thanks buddy, I would be absolutely supportive of a new THPS if Neversoft actually developed it, but since they're dead, so is THPS.
    Robomodo can fuck off entirely with their consistently terrible games.

edit: I just noticed this from looking at other's reviews, but you can't fucking fall from balance anymore. If you messed up in the older titles and couldn't keep your balance during a grind, or manual, you would bail. Simple as that, learn to keep it straight and in the middle or lose your shit, now the game just ends your combo, but you keep the score. Another thing to add to the shit list of this game. They treat you like you're a toddler, incapable of grasping the concept of the slightest mechanics like balancing, so you get a special participation award, even if you fuck up a combo, with an automatic land, yippee!

Last edited by NotedDerk; 09-30-2015 at 02:21 AM.
    I skate unrealistic in real life...i just learned ungrindables at my local park !

XBL
    SKATAN 81

lol nice funny review .
    Last edited by HCH Media; 09-30-2015 at 03:46 AM.

oh my god. My childhood is bleeding.
    Horsehead
    "like a gnarly dog on PCP with gold teeth biting your face."

XBL
    TheDietTea

Some things expected but some could definitely be building blocks.
    If ragdoll was more controlled it would be an awesome addition along side something like a difficulty for the game.
    A hard difficulty maybe including grind balance failures.
    Things they could do to improve the game aswell as some more pros if you can find them would be good for your review.
    Like I said in the other topic, you could do occasional video reviews.
    Fully capable and it's really all about the fan's opinion in the end.
    Nothing to lose in trying Derk. Should definitely have a go before chalking it up to a loss though.
    Could be cool.

XBL
    TOATISCOMING

It's seriously sad that I didn't even play the game, and knew it was trash!

I was actually going to make a thread telling people to boycott this game lol. Good review m8.

Der Mohn Tintenfisch PoppySquidJr's Avatar
    Steam
    PoppySquidJr
    XBL
    PoppySquidJr

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Tony Hawk games officially died with Neversoft. Without Neversoft there will never be another good one.
    The artist formerly known as Luft

the worst part is, as visible in all the video reviews and gameplays, that it's not even as good as the first one on ps1. the control of the skaters doesnt look very direct and it makes it look like a frustrating clusterfuck if you actually wanted to play. the neversoft games weren't BAD, they were an enjoyable arcade combo/point-accruing experience. this just looks like "we gave up and you bought this game before so buy a shitty version because its new"

edit: yeah i think the license expiration had something to do with it. i just wish tony cared a little bit more about his name than to let it be on this crap. if he doesnt care about vgames, he shouldnt have his name on one. if he DOES care about games theres no way he would let this get through quality control. do you give a shit, Tony?

oh and is Weezy in the game? shit, does that mean jereme rogers is on the soundtrack? lol. i love weezy but im not buying a crap game to play with toonchi
    Last edited by EmmitBrown; 10-01-2015 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EmmitBrown View Post
    i just wish tony cared a little bit more about his name than to let it be on this crap. if he doesnt care about vgames, he shouldnt have his name on one. if he DOES care about games theres no way he would let this get through quality control. do you give a shit, Tony?
    This. Did he ask to make another one? Why was this series randomly rebooted? I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Roflcopter View Post
    This. Did he ask to make another one? Why was this series randomly rebooted? I don't get it.
    Activision had a contract with the tony hawk franchise since 2002 and it expires this year. I'm sure they pushed Robomobo to shit out one more title before it's done with to milk whatever money was left from the fans that were willing to try another THPS, even if it's Robomodo behind the development. Seanne posted a link about it earlier in this thread.
    Last edited by NotedDerk; 10-01-2015 at 02:09 PM.

XBL
    TheDietTea

haha.. I cant even remember how I felt about the early tony hawk games.
    There was no comparison and I was about eight years old when pro skater dropped.
    The old days had a lot going for them.
    It wasn't money out of my pocket, every game was great back then and I always played with friends.

yeah i read the link earlier. the question is Tony goin around doin publicity and crap trying to say its a good game and has shit never seen before (dont remember the exact hype terms he used). Contracts must be strict as hell, or he just doesn't give a shit about quality, if he was pushing this crap that hard.

XBL
    TheDietTea

I imagine hes at least played an early build..
    He could also have lower standards than gamers.
    We immediately say to ourselves, is this worth the price?
    While he may be more along the lines of..
    Do I find this fun, is skateboarding involved?
    If so, No more no less. No thought about what's wrong with it.

but wouldnt he notice it isnt as stable as the first game that came out over 15 years ago? not to mention all the glitchy fuckups that he couldnt have missed unless he only played for a few seconds.

edit: if it really is a "no more, no less" whatever that means, then he's a piece of shit that doesn't give a shit about quality control or customer satisfaction. he should go back to delivering pizza hut pies.

if i was famous and had a biopic made about me, and hired the producers and director of Singled Out to make it, it would be my fault it sucked
    Last edited by EmmitBrown; 10-02-2015 at 11:03 AM.

Great write up. shame it was wasted on this game..
    I would have just posted this.

Ask me Anything, I live in the Future. Just don't ask me about the Rhinoceros!!!

"The most dangerous creature on the face of the Earth, is an educated idiot."

http://www.youtube.com/user/DaaG00n

XBL
    TheDietTea

Not asking you to accept it as a high quality product Emmit.
    More like, putting yourself in his situation.
    Involved in skateboarding but not so much in games.
    Saying, do the best you can and I'll love it unconditionally.
    Again, Tony's mindset as I've observed it, could be wrong but it sounds right.. To me.

what if blackbox told Variflex to make some boards to include with Skate. special editions saying, "do the best you can and ill love it unconditionally?"

that would show that they didn't really care about the finished product.

you can make any excuse you want for Tony but it's obvious he doesn't give a shit about the quality of the game with his name on it.

XBL
    TheDietTea

Haha.. I'll give you that.
    I guess I don't want to see it like other franchises.
    There aren't any others I can think of with a sort of just "hype man."
    It may be the only role he plays as far as the games go.

Then the talk of the old games made me think.
    They weren't out to prove anything and We weren't out to judge.
    Any flaws the older games had I wouldn't remember personally.
    Which brought me to that mindset..
    Maybe just holding on to the series for dear life.
    Still thinking about the old ones and their successes.
    Probably pretty stoked with skate out of the picture.
    At least when it was in the early stages anyway.

This guy has made the closest thing to a video review that I would have made.