Thread: How come no one has turned their s2/s3 companies into real companies?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    XBL
    TOATISCOMING

Default How come no one has turned their s2/s3 companies into real companies?

I have always wondered why haven't some guys turned the dopest companies from the skate community into
    companies in the real world. I can understand money being the main thing, but I am sure a lot of guys would
    love to have a DP, 5150, Hoodlum Fam, Pyschonaut, Vice, etc deck on their wall, or a shirt to wear.
    Hell I am sure some of the skaters would love to ride for said companies. I know I would.
    I don't know it was just a thought.

I know 5150 is a snowboard company, but they only make boards/bindings/boots, no apparel. I've only been snowboarding twice in my life, and when I first saw a 5150 board, I got pretty excited, haha. Even though our little fake team isn't related at all.

There is one guy in a nearby town who ran a little skate team/shop of his own that has his own printing press that I could ask to make those kinds of shirts. He is a pretty stubborn guy though, takes people's ideas with a grain of salt if it doesn't benefit him, in any way. So even if I asked if he could do it, he would just shoot it down, probably because I would be the only one buying them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiltzuh View Post
    I skate unrealistic in real life...i just learned ungrindables at my local park !
    Videos; www.youtube.com/derwreck

Resident Fruitbooter Roccityroller's Avatar

i forgot which company but someone made "Threat" decks for awhile
    Hoodlum Threat
    Youtube
    Live Stream
    Twitter

Blazing a Trail
    Steam
    Eastcoastskateboard1
    PSN
    anderson347
    XBL
    CoastSkates

Quote Originally Posted by Roccityroller View Post
    i forgot which company but someone made "Threat" decks for awhile
    Threat was apart of zero's distribution back in the day. But their distribution I think was Black Box and not the same guys who made s3 lol. But when black box distribution went out of business threat did to and zero went to dwindle. I wanted to make L8 media into an irl channel if that counts, like mainly for skate videos and such kinda like a media production company focused on skateboarding or something it was some weird idea similar to that. I would love to see Halcyon make boards or something.
    L8 Media

Team Avid

XBL
    TheDietTea

I'm sure we all would've wore some skate 3 team based merch.
    As far as I can tell no one here is that invested in it though.
    Not to mention some of the graphics being copyrighted or likeness of people and what not.
    In-Game Graphics were likely the closest thing to a skateboard company were going to see from this community.
    Come to think of it I can't think of anyone being that invested in a game.
    Other than big youtubers and dudes that compete in video game tournaments, sometimes have a few shirts.
    Here we had all the cool stuff from teams and none of the extra.
    No deadlines, no business models, no worries.

lol, yeah 5150 is real and someone posted pics of real Hoodlum decks a while ago (not affiliated with the Skate. team). There's a lot more to starting a company than "some people in a small gaming niche will like it". You have to think about market size, etc. It "could" work, but it's a big risk. You're essentially offering some custom decks and gear that only a small number of people would even be interested in. Im still trying to get my online barbershop going.