Thread: what do you like to see in a vid?

Steam
    -T-
    XBL
    diamond bloke

Default what do you like to see in a vid?

I'm curious to know how people come up with the tricks they do in their vids and just how they skate in general.

Personally, i like to see creativity in vids rather than going over board with realism, I do enjoy realistic vids but sometimes i see combos and i think they could do better, I really enjoy it when someone has a unique style such as pawnluv, perm, sickone5 etc. i love how they do huge gaps or just hit something going rapid and still somehow keep it sort of realistic looking if that makes sense, also their choice of music for vids too

i ride a scooter (don't start, i skate too) so i mostly try and imagine a combo i'd probably do rl (or think about doing) and think about how i'd do it on a skateboard, i love doing "body twister" combos and tricks over real high shit, i basically just like to try keep it stylish rather than realistic

How do you play??
    RELΛX X SVPREMΛCY
    D - T - B - C - R - C - J - M - T - F - J
    ig: @yung_turkish
    tumblr: kushman-titan.tumblr.com
    youtube: youtube.com/kushmantitan
    snapchat: murkingherkin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYrmmRNPymQ

XBL
    TheDietTea

I was pretty much the same way. I've come to appreciate the hyper realistic parts now though. It all makes me think and it all takes skill.

I use to feel the same way as you as well, but everyone has their own style. You probably just don't notice because some of them look very copy, paste as the next guy.

Trick selection plays a big role, you'll notice watching a guy doing fifteen big flips down stairs/gaps, and quickly grow tired of it. Balancing a lot of different tricks is the key to making a good part, no matter how much you like doing crooks on ledges.

Execution, this involves speed/pop/landing, I really notice this from the more realistic players now, more then ever. It takes a lot more effort to go the right speed the entire clip, pop your tricks exactly right (not an inch too high over a gap/ledge/rail), and landing relatively straight. Some people just pick one thing over the other in that category, spend more time popping tricks just right, over caring whether or not they land decent.

Filming is another personal touch to someone's style, in fact, it makes all the difference to some people. If your filming sucks, people are going to notice, so a lot of us have a good idea on how to make it look now. The key is to find the best angles, and throw your style into it, so if you do big gaps and go fast, owl cams and long lens are really your only option. More realistic people are inclined to follow real world filming techniques, stopping at the top of stairs if a line ends there, following the skater from a single position. Either way, you can choose to get up close and personal with your camera, or try to never cut off your body during your clips, but lots of people have found amazing ways to make their filming top notch.

Spot selection is the last thing I can think of. If someone's part is just them hitting the same, completely obvious and overdone, rails in the game and nothing else, it will not hold my interest, and I will quickly stop watching it. This requires the most creative thought process in the game, in my mind. I want to go into a video and see a few clips where I am baffled and think 'wow, never thought of hitting that spot, that way.'

That's my two cents on that subject anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiltzuh View Post
    I skate unrealistic in real life...i just learned ungrindables at my local park !
    Videos; www.youtube.com/derwreck

Steam
    i_am_a_snail

Quote Originally Posted by NotedDerk View Post
    Spot selection is the last thing I can think of. If someone's part is just them hitting the same, completely obvious and overdone, rails in the game and nothing else, it will not hold my interest, and I will quickly stop watching it. This requires the most creative thought process in the game, in my mind. I want to go into a video and see a few clips where I am baffled and think 'wow, never thought of hitting that spot, that way.'
    lets collab at the blue rail near kube plaza, never seen anyone hit that before

Quote Originally Posted by i am a snail View Post
    lets collab at the blue rail near kube plaza, never seen anyone hit that before
    Okay, we could easily make a full part there of nbds!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiltzuh View Post
    I skate unrealistic in real life...i just learned ungrindables at my local park !
    Videos; www.youtube.com/derwreck

XBL
    emericaridr11

Crook it

haha hate that blue rail.. it's not even an interesting or good looking spot or even a fun rail for that matter..

My favourite videos are realistic but I've come to appreciate almost anything since I've been on this forum.. If a trick takes time and effort, it's instantly likeable for me. So the way I skate is that I try to be creative and push the limits of what is possible and still be realistic and making it look the most realistic it can look. What I like the most is trying stuff which I've never seen before.. But that means that out of a hundred things I try just 1 works, but when you get that 1 to work it's really satisfying to know you've done something noone's ever done before. When you're not playing realistic I think it's much easier to come up with stuff that's never been done before because there's no limit to what you can do, so in my opinion that makes skating realistic a bit harder and forces you to be more creative.. I'm open to discussion though because I know there are some people here who have a different opinion on the matter. COME AT ME BRAH

XBL
    emericaridr11

yeah I'm one of the goofy ones who could care less about the Prowlin/Skelli style (I personally think its hard to watch)
    but I understand the style (and can respect it big time)

as far as what I look for in videos, I like filming.... if you got smooth/classy/somewhat interesting filming (or super good realistic, which Ive only seen 2-3 times not to say some other realistic videos have bad filming just not super good) then I dig big time
    most everyone will say DON'T USE ANYTHING OVER 17mm for Follow Cams, well I really really like the look of the 24mm follow cam (like in the s3 trailers).... I dig it cartoony for some reason IDK

I am also big on music choice, if I don't like your song I watch it on mute
    I dig hard tricks or creative tricks too, but if those tricks don't have good filming I dig no more

so I'm a "Filmer Punk"
    I guess
    Last edited by emericaridr11; 01-16-2016 at 09:52 AM.

I don't care about ABD spots (such as the infamous blue rail) as long as it's not just a 3 flip or boardslide or whatever.
    When I find something to skate I always try to think of what might not have been done there. I'm not a living encyclopedia when it comes to what has been done where (especially for S2) but for the most part I'm happy with what I do at spots.
    My favorite tricks in other dudes videos are ones that make me mad I didn't do/think of them first.
    I just do tricks that I think look good. A lot of the time they take me a while to get.
    It bothers me in parts when the camera shakes at the end of a line/trick. I know it happens to everyone where you don't notice it when filming once or twice and it ends up in a part (same with ghosting in S2) but there are solos I watch where it's about every trick and it drives me nuts!
    The owl cam thing for me is hard to watch because there's so much going on, despite that, I still think some of the tricks they do are the most difficult that can be done in the game.
    I also haven't seen the 80's VHS theme in a while and I'm glad because that was overdone to shit. Irl included.
    Also not a fan of parts that are 50% skating and 50% other shit.
    I guess for me it's more of a list of "dont's" than "dos." Im not too picky as long as I can tell someone took their time finding good tricks and filming them well.

Steam
    i_am_a_snail

Quote Originally Posted by emericaridr11 View Post
    most everyone will say DON'T USE ANYTHING UNDER 17mm for Follow Cams
    do people say this? i mean maybe in skate 2 but in 3 it's a lot easier to get away with lower mm settings since you dont have to worry about ghosting. you can easily make 14/15mm look incredibly solid, all my footy is 14-15mm for lines and, like, 12-13 for single tricks.

as far as what i like to look for in videos, and as someone who prefers to watch and make more realistic-style edits, it's gotta have both the substance AND the style. anyone can do X trick, but only a select few can do X trick with Y tweak at Z spot and hit W landing animation as they roll away. ive spent like 15-20 minutes trying to get ollies over big gaps because i wanted a certain landing animation. demz takes DAYS to get the animations he wants. once you watch enough videos it's easier to understand what i'm talking about, it becomes very apparent which clips had the most time spent on them, and those are the clips i like to see.

XBL
    emericaridr11

Quote Originally Posted by i am a snail View Post
    do people say this? i mean maybe in skate 2 but in 3 it's a lot easier to get away with lower mm settings since you dont have to worry about ghosting. you can easily make 14/15mm look incredibly solid, all my footy is 14-15mm for lines and, like, 12-13 for single tricks.

as far as what i like to look for in videos, and as someone who prefers to watch and make more realistic-style edits, it's gotta have both the substance AND the style. anyone can do X trick, but only a select few can do X trick with Y tweak at Z spot and hit W landing animation as they roll away. ive spent like 15-20 minutes trying to get ollies over big gaps because i wanted a certain landing animation. demz takes DAYS to get the animations he wants. once you watch enough videos it's easier to understand what i'm talking about, it becomes very apparent which clips had the most time spent on them, and those are the clips i like to see.
    yeah I meant ANYTHING OVER 17mm..... you caught me Snail
    my bad my bad

boobies and 'xplosions

Awful Awfuls!

unique style.. the games been out for so long that you can spot a cliche trick, style, spot a mile away . people that choose to skate differently all the while retaining good filming and tricks are the best in my book. i also appreciate people who take time to get clips, some people stack a bunch of basic clips and then quickly put them together to put out a video as fast as possible. all that i will say about that is that 90% of the time it shows that they were rushing. quality over quantity

Yes You Can!

-quick and precise flucking

-speed. Unless you have to hit some transition or other stuff that requires low speed, it's gotta be as fast as possible

-movements that make sense. I like it when it seems like there's coherent animations to the character and board, when they're not cut short/defying physics.

-when the skateboarder seems alive. it sucks when you execute a trick, and the animations end, and the dude just goes idle until he lands. or if there's a stretch of rolling, and he's just standing completely still on his board. carve, push, gesture.. do something.

-wild stuff. go crazy as long as isn't totally random.

-weird stuff. I like glitches and bugs. it's cool to see people surf them

-basic stuff done right.. I'd rather see a kickflip shifty done to perfection, than a bunch of nollie lazer late shuvits and whatnot. not saying they can't be good though.

-people who remember that it's a game, and that it's fun. in most cases, videos that strive to be epic and and pompous just seem super lame. not saying it can't be good though.

-under-rotation done right.. this goes for real skating as well
    Last edited by Thick; 01-22-2016 at 06:07 AM.