Thread: HELP! - Intel vs AMD (pc build)

XBL
    emericaridr11

Default HELP! - Intel vs AMD (pc build)

Intel vs AMD, of course I did my own research but I didnt get many answers mostly just "go with intel"
    here is my basic run down....

everything Im looking at is on craigslist and pre-owned, but all have gaming mobos and just decent specs all around, however I am wondering about these in particular:
    AMD 9590
    AMD 8350

Intel i5 6600
    Intel i5 6500
    Intel i5 4690

Intel i7 6700
    Intel i7 4790
    Intel i7 5280
    Intel i7 4770

-is having a i5 6600 really that much more beneficial than a i5 4690? (which seems to be the most popular gaming processor I see)
    -someone shed some light on this whole action, where dem geeks at?

- is a i7 really that much better than a 8 core AMD?
    - for rendering AND gaming is AMD or Intel the way to go?

- Im looking for all the info I can get, for reals... lay it on me please, I want to know!!..... My main use will be 3d rendering/game design stuff/editing... and then of course games too
    - Im fine with GPU info, I got them bitches down just fine... its the processor and mobos that get me

HELP PALS!! or dont, whatever

I can't give you quite more of an answer than you've already got.. Just get an intel ;P AMD are kinda the budget processors and intel for the more high end pc's. intels give you a higher framerate, and with quite the difference.
    Can't tell you much about the difference between the i5's though. I got the i7 6700 and works great in combination with my gtx 970, gives me decent framerates on highest settings for most games, except bf1 I gotta play on high settings.

I'm running an older model of the i7 (3770k) and it's still working great for me. From my personal experience I would recommend an i7 for sure.
    All of my friends have had amd cpus that they like, but my intel has never let me down, so i'll probably stick with them.
    Also, if you google something like cpu benchmark tests there's some sites that compare value, power, etc, so you could check those out too.

Reading alot about the new ryzen cpu being a beast in terms of editing multitasking etc. https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/

Quote Originally Posted by Reserrved View Post
    Reading alot about the new ryzen cpu being a beast in terms of editing multitasking etc. https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/
    this. ryzen taking the charm for price/performance
    are you upgrading just your cpu?? if so what socket is your cpu using, use cpu-z and it will tell you in the package line.
    then you can find the best processor for your machine
    Last edited by saunders420; 04-10-2017 at 09:08 AM.

XBL
    emericaridr11

Quote Originally Posted by saunders420 View Post
    this. ryzen taking the charm for price/performance
    are you upgrading just your cpu?? if so what socket is your cpu using, use cpu-z and it will tell you in the package line.
    then you can find the best processor for your machine
    I was thinking about what you would say Saunders, nah man that comp we were talking about on Facebook (the one I traded a guitar for) had to be sold to fund for my fathers kidney stone surgery (Ive been back on the mac for months and months)

so if I cant afford a Ryzen, then go with i7 4 Core is what yall saying.... fuck the AMD 8 Cores right?

Steam
    jesselack

simplest answer i can give: STRICTLY workstation PC: go Ryzen. Cheap, 8 cores, and definitely a monster in terms of rendering/multitasking/etc. Gaming? Not so much. In fact having 8 cores for gaming is useless considering most games barely even utilize 4 cores.

Workstation AND gaming? Go Intel. I have an i7-6700K OC'd to 4.4ghz and the thing is KILLER. I'm a TV and Film Major so I do a lot of video editing projects with high end cameras. Rendering uncompressed FHD video is a breeze, Blender renders are quick (500+ sample render in about a minute), Photoshop and AE are lightning fast.

As for gaming, let's put it this way. Paired with my gtx980SC, I can run ANY game from like 2014 and back on ultra at 60fps, 1440p. Some newer games I have a little trouble with (and by that I mean having to play them on "very high" instead) but that's entirely related to my GPU. Still tryin to get that 1080Ti
    RISE Sorable: why do something in a game you can do in real life

XBL
    emericaridr11

Im going to link some that Im looking at, could some of you dudes compare and let me know which you think would benefit a Render mostly then Gamer 2nd

YALL ROCK, I want to learn... Im a nerd myself

Steam
    jesselack

Quote Originally Posted by saunders420 View Post
    couldnt recommend this site enough
    RISE Sorable: why do something in a game you can do in real life

XBL
    emericaridr11

Oh yeah that was my first stop... pcpartpicker, helped with a good idea on budget.....

BUT everything I'm looking at is used on Craigslist so i will actually get a better deal (by about $200 to $400 off a new machine price)

Im gonna link the few I'm looking at (all i7), and you sides can maybe push me in the right direction

Last time I came directly to Saunders and he didn't lead me wrong, I trust y'alls judgement more than a forum

XBL
    emericaridr11

Ok here are the 3 PCs I'm currently looking at (I have $850 too spend as of today, and a bunch of mmj concentrates, some people like that on craigslist):

-

#1: I'm Fine With That
    processor: i7 4790k
    cooler: corsair H100i liquid CPU cooler
    mobo: gigabyte GA-X97X-SLI
    gpu: asus gtx 970 strix 4gb
    ram: corsair vengeance pro 16gb
    hdd: samsung 840 evo 250gb, 1tb sata
    case: corsair carbide 500r
    power: corsair CX750m
    peripherals: lg super drive
    price: $900 (would try to get it for $750-$850)
    pic

CRAIGSLIST COMPUTER LINK - i7 4790k

-

#2: Wild, I Can Make That Work
    processor: i7 7700k
    cooler: corsair AIO cooler H100I v2
    mobo: asus prime z270-a
    gpu: msi gtx 970ti
    ram: HyperxFury16gb
    hdd: samsung 840 evo 128gb, sandisk ssd plus 240gb
    case: corsair carbide 200R
    power: evga 600W bronze 80+
    peripherals: zowie ec2-a, razer blackwidow 2014, asus VG248QE 24", logitech speakers
    price: $900 (would try to get it for $800 maybe $750)
    info & pics: crazy, would need a new case and bigger sata drive, is moving cases a big task? Would i need new thermal paste?

CRAIGSLIST COMPUTER LINK - i7 7700k

-

#3: Oh Yeah That Works
    processor: amd ryzen 7 1700 3.0ghz
    cooler: amd wraith spire
    mobo: msi b350 tomahawk at am4
    gpu: xfx radeon rx 480 8gb
    ram: evga supersc 16gb ddr4
    hdd: samsung 850 evo 250gb
    case: corsair 100R atx mid
    power: evga supernova g2 650w 80+ g fully modular atx
    peripherals: none
    price: $1000 (going to try for $850 $900, but might have to cough up the $1000 which I can't really do haha, love craigslist)
    pic: none, case only

CRAIGSLIST COMPTUER LINK - AMD Ryzen 7 1700

-

My budget limits me to craigslist as prices are normally negotiable

the way i see it...

Since gaming will be my 2nd priority (editing/rendering being 1st) the newer Ryzen 7 1700 build would do me best, the i7 7700k build is a desperate man and I would have to buy a hdd and new big case, the i7 4790k is kind of my fall back and I'm pretty sure I can talk him down to about $775... ryzen winning solely on 8/16 (core/thread) used in render apps

Right?

Thanks to everyone who has chimed in, it helps it really does... this will most likely be my last "ask" post so cheers and chime in again!

ps: this was a intense post to do on a cell phone
    Last edited by emericaridr11; 04-15-2017 at 01:59 AM.

I'd go for the first one, if you can get the price down low enough, you can just replace the processor, cuz that seems be it's only weak point..

Amd..
    you could try getting a better cooler for it, that stock cooler is meh.
    But fine if you don't plan to OC it, would be a shame not to though.
    Price is wrong though. $1000 lol All new it don't even cost $900

Ask me Anything, I live in the Future. Just don't ask me about the Rhinoceros!!!

"The most dangerous creature on the face of the Earth, is an educated idiot."

http://www.youtube.com/user/DaaG00n

XBL
    emericaridr11

Right on daag, yes the one I was looking at was a bit pricey but it had a gtx 970

I have decided to go ryzen built by myself after talking to Saunders all night on facebook..... your the fucking man Saunders!

My build comes out to $950

Here is what i had mapped out, but I'm getting a few things cheaper on craigslist I just kept them in the list for budgeting purposes.. instead of the gpu I'll be buying a slightly used gtx 970 ($180), and instead of the mobo and cooler I'll get a new one from Craigslist for $80 (for both tomahawk mobo and evo 212 cooler combo), and there is some cheap $25 Hag 912 cases on Craigslist too... basically anything that saves me money

However I do kind of want to get the ryzen 7 1700x version cause im not sure I feel 100% safe overclocking yet and stock 3.4ghz seems mad chill for me, so that upped my build $80 (but i also understand that if overclocked the 1700 vs the 1700x is basically the same (minus power consumption)

Here is what I'm looking at, and trying to subsitute anything for Craigslist parts.... looks like by the end I'll spend $900 give or take (a bit more cause i need a sata drive too and possibly a sound card and wireless card)

Gonna have to borrow a hundo from pops Hahahahahahahaha

List:

Looking good. you know that the new AMD RX580 is out is a couple of days.. Some saying 18th April so Tuesday.. Retailing around $220/250 and is = to a 980Ti.
    So basically a GTX 1060 6gb for a lot less.
    http://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-rx-58...official-leak/

970 is good, but that 3.5GB might limit you.. Nvidia had to refund people because they lied about it having 4GB hehe
    Ask Saunders about it, as i know he owns a 970. Good card though and will meet your needs im sure.

Also don't bother with the X. all R7's are the same bin. X basically means WE (AMD) overcloked it a little bit for you. hence the higher Stock. lol

Save yourself some money and get the 1700 & check out some reviews about 1700 vs 1700X
    you will see it don't mean nothing once you OC it to 4Ghz equal to a 1800X.

But if it was me i would be looking at a M.2 PCIe NVMe instead of the normal SSD and a Rx580.
    $10 or 20 more in prices. But worth it

What ever you get, it's better than you have now huh.
    so really it's a win win.
    Last edited by DaaGooN; 04-16-2017 at 01:43 PM.
    Ask me Anything, I live in the Future. Just don't ask me about the Rhinoceros!!!

XBL
    emericaridr11

Super slick daag cheers! I'll go with the 1700, makes sense the 1700x isn't really stock 3.4 but more so factory overclocked.(which could explain the higher power comsumption?)

I truly know nothing about ssd action, she'd some light or have a suggested product (250gb)

There is also a MSI R9 390 8gb gpu for $180 on craigslist, never opened or used... I assume that's a good card too? (8gb surely it screams)
    Last edited by emericaridr11; 04-16-2017 at 02:10 PM.

Don't bother with the 390... Rx480 is better and the new Rx580 is basically a Overclocked RX480 it turns out.
    Amd tend to re-badge cards with tweaks ect.. but when the 580 comes out the price will go down on the 480 .. then you can grab it! by the end of this week.

you have a m.2 on that mobo, so why not make use of its crazy speed!
    3GBs Read / 1.5GBs Write
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-M-2.../dp/B01M211K53

Vs normaly Sata3 SSD's limit of 512mb/512mb.

Tom does really good reviews.
    Last edited by DaaGooN; 04-17-2017 at 12:01 PM.

Here is his R7 1700 review.

XBL
    emericaridr11

Sick sick sick, but having a 480 and m.2 puts me over budget.. not sure I am going to be able to do those (I don't even have $20 more than $850)

That's why I'm trying to get a few things used or new on Craigslist for cheaper (tons of 970s for $150) like a slightly used gpu that's better than the gtx 1050ti (Which seems to be one of the only decent ones in that price range)

BUT if I overclock the 1700 (Which seems like I have to for games) will a Cooler Master 212 evo even be enough? (assuming it even fits in my case)

Also: will any psu work with my build?
    Like this Sentey 1000w Modular one? ($50)
    Link to cl ad:https://denver.craigslist.org/sop/6083953774.html
    Last edited by emericaridr11; 04-17-2017 at 12:59 PM.

First of all. DO NOT cheap on the backbone of the build. get a good PSU. even if you have to give up on something else.
    you would only need a 650watt anything above it is overkill. that build will pull about 3/400watt from the wall anyway.

Also remember you can pick up a SSD cheaper second hand.. that would save you money if you can get one.. i myself have only SSD's in my pc. 250GB for OS , and then 2x500GB for other stuff. all my HHD are in a 5bay external via usb3.

You can replace the GTX1060 with RX480 or 470 if you like. they will all do 1080/60 on high to max no problem.

the Hyper 212 is good budget cooler & may get you a little better in temp wise, but the stock cooler on the new ryzen is also good.
    http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-1700...hmarks-leaked/

Just note that with AMD ryzen they done something they are now trying to correct. they put a offset +20c on the temps. Hence why people think they re hitting 70/80c and really it's 20c lower. i think a lot of the mobo makers are now correcting it in bios updates.
    https://linustechtips.com/main/topic...00x1700x1600x/

Put it this way. 16core @ 4Ghz @ 65c is Great on a stock cooler.

M.2 SSD & better Heatsink can be got down the road, if you ever need it.
    Upgrades

This is what i would buy.. and it's just a lil over your own. would be a nice beauty machine.
    Hope it helps.
    Last edited by DaaGooN; 04-19-2017 at 03:40 AM.

XBL
    emericaridr11

Im pm-ing you...... you got to check what i got going on