Thread: EA Skate Speculation Leading into to E3

XBL
    Stokenstein

Default EA Skate Speculation Leading into to E3

I've seen a lot of speculation over a handful of things such as Atiba posting on Instagram from EA in front of their headscanning photo booth recently, EA refiling their Skate trademarks, and EA instituting the Skate servers again. I believe it was last February when an EA employee tweeted "#Skate4" and everyone went nuts also. It seems every year before E3 myself and many others get our hopes up due to something!

I guess what I'd like to do is break down why (potentially) none of this points towards Skate 4. First, Atiba being at EA. If you take a look at Atiba's Instagram, it's pretty apparent that he doesn't only do skateboarding photography/filming. He has a lot of lifestyle photos up and pictures of NBA players and similar athletes posted as well. I don't think it's farfetched to assume that Atiba, a local to LA and a photographer close to a lot of NBA players would be hired by EA to shoot for upcoming NBA games or headshots for Ultimate Team updates which EA does regularly. Him being in front of the cameras could just be him troubleshooting/setting up before bringing in subjects to shoot. Now if we saw a pro at EA or someone like Reda, then I'd be a little more likely to say that points towards something happening in the Skate world. That said, I could be wrong, I am just speculating. I feel like if EA was at the point where they were bringing in pros and skate photographers and all that, it'd be extremely hard for news of a Skate 4 to stay tight lipped. I'll post that Atiba screen grab at the bottom of this post.

As for EA refiling trademarks for Skate, this is something they will probably do for a very long time. They are still selling copies of Skate 3, both physical and digital, so they need trademarks. This is not proof of anything unfortunately.

So the servers going back up, this isn't one I can so easily brush off and it's the one making me speculate a bit towards something positive happening. Now, to start I'll say this could just be a simple quality update for a user base that isn't dwindling on Skate 3. The game is in the EA Vault, it's being sold digitally and physically, and they've even put the game in Xbox One cases for physical copies now. It's clear they're making money off of the game in it's current state and simply bringing servers back up where people can share clips and parks and all that is one easy way to keep people playing and to bring new and old players to the game. So while this is my personal favorite answer to the servers coming back up as it's not one based in hype, I can't help but wonder if they could have something coming up at E3.

This is where I'll make some baseless assumptions about what I think COULD happen at E3 or the near future. I do know that Skate was a VERY expensive game to make for EA. That coupled with the fact they had no way to bring in micro-transactions to further the profit made and make it a profitable game (like FIFA, Battlefield, Madden) is why we don't have a Skate 4. So while I don't think we're getting a Skate 4 I do think we could be getting a full on Xbox One/PS4 Skate 3 remaster with some new areas to skate. It's something I really could get behind. Even more speculative, what if they are remastering/reworking the worlds from Skate 1 and Skate 2 to be playable in Skate 3 with all the controls and mechanics of Skate 3 (walking, etc..) I think this is a way for EA to not have to spend the $20,000,000+ on making a Skate 4 and still capitalizing on the hype and bringing something fresh to the Skate world. Could this be what we see at E3 if we see anything at all? Could something 100% in house like this be quiet enough for us to not hear anything about it yet?

What do y'all think? Do you have any thoughts on what could be coming or if anything at all is coming?

Atiba's photo:

Chief Alcohol Strategist momadaddy's Avatar
    PSN
    momadaddy
    XBL
    momadaddy

I think it's possible. I think the timing is right and the whole server thing is very odd. I hope it's real. People haven't shut the fuck up about skate 4 for years now. Ea is bound to notice eventually. I can't help but think that if it is real it won't be what we want.

"Your friendship with xi SATORI ix has been broken"

EA is gonna do it eventually imo.

Need a spock meme for this.....it would be highly illogical for EA to not make a remaster. Include OG SanVan and/or S2 SanVan spots as another map to skate in.
    Hell even the other city spots from Skate it from wii. Slap a 60 dollar price tag, and it would be selling like hot cakes. with the PC realm even gathering a base for session. They could swoop in, put it on PC, and raise hellfire. That would be a sight to see.... a Remaster of the Skate series would be ideal.

XBL
    McBambi

I think if EA were not planing to do something new with Skate they would have communicated the "reactivation" of S3 in some way. now it just feels like a tease.

i saw the dumbass x7 albert vid my friend sent me about s4 and i was convinced it could come but i was still skeptical, then the servers came back and now i'm convinced it has a really good chance to get out. although one of my friends, friends interns at ea and he told him there will be a skate game and it'll either be skate 1, 2, and 3 remastered or skate 4
    sorry

PSN
    momadaddy
    XBL
    momadaddy

Quote Originally Posted by My Elementality View Post
    i saw the dumbass x7 albert vid my friend sent me about s4 and i was convinced it could come but i was still skeptical, then the servers came back and now i'm convinced it has a really good chance to get out. although one of my friends, friends interns at ea and he told him there will be a skate game and it'll either be skate 1, 2, and 3 remastered or skate 4
    Don't listen to Albert! Ever. He sucks

i know but it was convincing, also he was like "i recommend you watch this with your parents cause there are some big boy words in this vid" lol. but if you watch it, you'd understand.
    Last edited by My Elementality; 06-08-2018 at 11:09 AM.
    sorry

Minglin'
    XBL
    The Susans

After in n out told me and the spectrum guys everything that went down between the transition of skate 2/3 I don’t think skate 4 will happen and if it does it will be farther away from the original skate than skate 3 since majority of their demographic of sales is starting to come from kids who don’t skate and do that stupid trick line trash. I do believe I remaster is in the works, but I think it will just be a s3 remaster for the next gen consoles with maybe dlc.

Best case scenario they remaster skate one with skate 3 filming and you can get off your board. That’d be the best.

remaster skate 3 with the skate 1 and 2 maps included whether it be dlc or not it would be cool. i think that's what they'll do to be honest as well josh.
    sorry

Minglin'
    XBL
    The Susans

Quote Originally Posted by My Elementality View Post
    remaster skate 3 with the skate 1 and 2 maps included whether it be dlc or not it would be cool. i think that's what they'll do to be honest as well josh.
    Remastering maps takes a lottttt of work and maps of those size take a long time as well just due to them being one giant continuation unlike skate 3 which broke it down to three smaller maps which they did to cut costs or that’s what Cuz was telling people, but that dude got fired so who knows hahah. All I know is I hope they focus on what skate was built on not what skate 3 was built on.

yeah, it would be insane if they made a remaster of all the maps. it would be cool if they made it like skate 1 as well. don't think that'll happen though unfortunately.
    sorry

The cameras in that pic are from a photogrammetry rig - used for making photoreal 3d models of people, or anything else. Maybe he posted it because he's a photo nerd looking at hi-tech photo gear. Or maybe he's getting scanned for an S4 promo. Maybe he's directing a shoot. Who knows. It's pretty clear to me though, that those aren't Atiba's cameras, but rather a scanning rig in a studio.
    likebuttermag.com
    XBL: BladderBoy
    PSN: TheLikeButterGuy
    Steam: monthackma

XBL
    dudren42

I'll bet that if skate 4 actually is released, it will come with micro-transactions for your equipment, like paying a few cents for a deck or some clothes. quote me on this

XBL
    Stokenstein

Quote Originally Posted by dudren View Post
    I'll bet that if skate 4 actually is released, it will come with micro-transactions for your equipment, like paying a few cents for a deck or some clothes. quote me on this
    This was the original struggle and ultimately why EA could not afford to keep making Skate games.

A lot of us have racked our brains trying to think of ways that people would spend money in-game. The problem with buying decks and clothes is that ultimately, EA is licensing those brands and it costs EA money to do that so the profit-margin is minimal. I think that's why that didn't work.

I've yet to hear a legitimately good idea for implementing micro-transactions in the game. I'm someone who bought keys in Rocket League and packs in Fifa Ultimate Team. I'd TOTALLY spend money in Skate games but I just can't figure out a product that's both simple enough to make and be profitable for EA and good enough to actually be sought after by players.

XBL
    Stokenstein

Quote Originally Posted by BladderBoy View Post
    The cameras in that pic are from a photogrammetry rig - used for making photoreal 3d models of people, or anything else. Maybe he posted it because he's a photo nerd looking at hi-tech photo gear. Or maybe he's getting scanned for an S4 promo. Maybe he's directing a shoot. Who knows. It's pretty clear to me though, that those aren't Atiba's cameras, but rather a scanning rig in a studio.
    Exactly. That's what I was getting towards. Atiba, if you look at his Instagram, it's pretty clear he shoots a lot of lifestyle stuff and studio stuff of basketball players. He lives in LA and I don't think it's farfetched for him to be directing / working on shoots in Redwood for NBA games or whatever. I certainly don't see it as a definitive sign Skate 4 is imminent. I find it hard to believe if they were bringing in pros and shit we wouldn't be hearing about it, the skate industry is not one that can keep a secret very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Stokenstein View Post
    This was the original struggle and ultimately why EA could not afford to keep making Skate games.

A lot of us have racked our brains trying to think of ways that people would spend money in-game. The problem with buying decks and clothes is that ultimately, EA is licensing those brands and it costs EA money to do that so the profit-margin is minimal. I think that's why that didn't work.

I've yet to hear a legitimately good idea for implementing micro-transactions in the game. I'm someone who bought keys in Rocket League and packs in Fifa Ultimate Team. I'd TOTALLY spend money in Skate games but I just can't figure out a product that's both simple enough to make and be profitable for EA and good enough to actually be sought after by players.

The only thing i can think of is like csgo style loot boxes. Where the community design decks,griptape,wheels etc and EA picks some and puts them into a crate. Have a new crate every 3 months or something but keep the free ones too.
    Last edited by Reserrved; 06-08-2018 at 08:49 PM.

PSN
    momadaddy
    XBL
    momadaddy

He took that photo off of his instagram?
    Last edited by momadaddy; 06-08-2018 at 10:54 PM.

as long as microtransactions aren't like pay 5$ to crook easier then i'm fine. cosmetic only
    sorry

XBL
    Stokenstein

Quote Originally Posted by momadaddy View Post
    He took that photo off of his instagram?
    It was on his story, so it disappeared after 24 hours. There may have been a couple more, but this one is in front of the cameras so everyone freaked over it I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by iamjoshk View Post
    After in n out told me and the spectrum guys
    I forgot these guys were a thing lol
    Good ol days.
    Kids table.
    Miss it.

PSN
    momadaddy
    XBL
    momadaddy

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd it's gone. All that shit last week was a huge coincidence I guess. But at least we have servers again

San Diego, CA to Flagstaff, AZ to Dallas, TX
    XBL
    TSxR3N3GAD3

Quote Originally Posted by momadaddy View Post
    Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd it's gone. All that shit last week was a huge coincidence I guess. But at least we have servers again
    Man, I hope everyone doesn't fall off the face of the Earth within the month. I was looking forward to some solid seshes when I get home

PSN
    momadaddy
    XBL
    momadaddy

I still play. I've been stacking clips for a new video. I just never know when I'm playing because my work schedule sucks.

XBL
    Stokenstein

There’s one little sliver of hope left. Former EA Sports employee tweeted this on the 9th: https://mobile.twitter.com/fakeimmig...30252196474880

Still, I don’t see how someone under NDA would so brazenly go against that agreement, but maybe? I say it’s more likely he is just joining in on the support. He hasn’t replied to any replies though.

Also, we technically could see Skate at one of the other presentations from Xbox or Sony.

Quote Originally Posted by iamjoshk View Post
    Remastering maps takes a lottttt of work and maps of those size take a long time as well just due to them being one giant continuation unlike skate 3 which broke it down to three smaller maps which they did to cut costs or that’s what Cuz was telling people, but that dude got fired so who knows hahah. All I know is I hope they focus on what skate was built on not what skate 3 was built on.
    Skate 3 was broken up into 3 parts with different teams in the office working on each section. So someone working on the Industrial section, didn't have much say in the overall design in the Downtown section. That's how they have a different aesthetic.
    Cuz never got fired. He quit because everyone knew the Blackbox team was disbanding after Skate 3, and he found another game studio to work at.

Quote Originally Posted by Stokenstein View Post

EA never paid to license the brands in the game. It was basically a handshake deal acknowledging that by putting the brands in the game for free, the skate companies are getting a lot of free exposure. That's why you don't see Skull Skates in the game. Some of the producers wanted Skull in the game, but Skull said "F U. If you want my brand, pay me." And so they didn't pay.
    Anyway, I'm still crossing my finger that 4 is in development, or we get a 1-3 remaster pack.

XBL
    Stokenstein

Quote Originally Posted by kellylitz View Post
    Skate 3 was broken up into 3 parts with different teams in the office working on each section. So someone working on the Industrial section, didn't have much say in the overall design in the Downtown section. That's how they have a different aesthetic.
    Cuz never got fired. He quit because everyone knew the Blackbox team was disbanding after Skate 3, and he found another game studio to work at.

EA never paid to license the brands in the game. It was basically a handshake deal acknowledging that by putting the brands in the game for free, the skate companies are getting a lot of free exposure. That's why you don't see Skull Skates in the game. Some of the producers wanted Skull in the game, but Skull said "F U. If you want my brand, pay me." And so they didn't pay.
    Anyway, I'm still crossing my finger that 4 is in development, or we get a 1-3 remaster pack.
    Nice! That’s pretty legit. Shame Skull wasnt in, but I’d have put money on that being the response.

I wonder if there becomes some issue of selling “packs” or whatever of those brand’s products for profit that those brands aren’t seeing, if that were to be a way of monetization.

A remaster would be nice, or something that let me play the Skate 2 map with the features of Skate 3. The fact that 3's map was broken down into 3 separate teams is painfully clear when you play the game, and I still think the game is missing a lot of the intimate small, realistic spots that you could find throughout the map in 1 and 2.

The entire direction of Skate 3 feels like they relied to heavily on the concept that they advertised in the early trailers, online multiplayer, with these super huge highway sized spots so everyone has space to hit a trick simultaneously. That may have sounded nice on paper but it's not what I play Skate for.
    I wanna be the life of the search party.

XBL
    Stokenstein

PlayStation France posted this yesterday: https://twitter.com/PlayStationFR/st...341069312?s=20

Assuming it’s nothing but coincidence. Boy have we gotten jerked around this year. haha