Thread: "skateboarding is so gay right now"

Default "skateboarding is so gay right now"

skateboardign has been so gay for so long that ive ignored everything concerning it in hopes to keep it a culture and not a sport in my own opinion....

i lost in 02 when skateboarding became the biggest shit since sliced bread....
    right when nike put its foot in the door....
    then all distribution companies started advertising its different distributions....
    and the company your rode for got more attention than the skater in the ad....

to me....

skateboarding went from fun to shit in about 3 years...
    sorry 99,00,and 01.....

skateboarding is so gay eric koston feels hes suppose to make a commercial telling everyone his shoe sponsor....

skateboarding is so gay ask chris cools outfit change....

i gotta stop now...

im absolutely disgusted at where the culture has gone from 92 to now...

sad shit...

Resident Fruitbooter Roccityroller's Avatar

That's why, as much as y'all hate on fruitbooting, I enjoy our culture much more than that of skateboarding. Going mainstream has killed your culture.. I'm not saying i'm not guilty, I have DC shoes... but not because of the hype, for the shear fact that they're comfortable.

and i have a DC hat... again, not because of the hype, but more because Ken Block is my flucking idol.

Y'all can hate on me all you want, yea, i'm a fruitbooter, yea, i'm proud of it. You know why? cuz i know that everyone i meet skating is real, they're there because they love to skate, not because MTV said it's cool.

I honestly feel sorry for you guys, because there was a movement back in the late 90's where everyone wanted to make rollerblading mainstream and "cool"...then we saw what happened to skateboarding... idk i think your destruction was our savior.
    Hoodlum Threat
    Youtube
    Live Stream
    Twitter

UG/Popless Pioneer pawnluvguitarist's Avatar

honestly I dont really follow the skating culture all that much. Its pretty lame how its become, but the culture has never effected how I skate/dress/act whatever. Skating for me is one on one with your board and just having fun with friends, not about being cool, fitting in and making money.

An i dont hate on anybody, rollerbladers, bikers, unicycles, whatever, its all good

The day i see a unicycle at a skatepark is the day that...well... idk what i would do, but that would be awesome
    Hoodlum Threat
    Youtube
    Live Stream
    Twitter

UG/Popless Pioneer pawnluvguitarist's Avatar

theres a unicycle guy at one of my parks all the time, he grinds with his pedals and does sets and stuff, its real cool

get mustafiz to film that! i wanna see it!!
    Hoodlum Threat
    Youtube
    Live Stream
    Twitter

that is sooo sick in some sort of weird way
    Hoodlum Threat
    Youtube
    Live Stream
    Twitter

"i think your destruction was our savior."

could not
    have been said better....

sad shit...
    i remember that after like 2 years deep of shit i said "wait what happen to rollerblading".....

oh it was doing its own thing under the spot light...
    asshole...

for the record..
    i never hated on any rollerbladers....

i did however hate on long boarders at the park....
    because it doesn't make sense....

im in redneckville so bare with me...

I hated on skateboarders, when i was younger... before i got "good"... you know when you start hanging out with all the "good" kids? and you meet the skateboarders that are "good" and you realize that the skateboarders/rollerbladers/bikers that actually have skills aren't hating on each other.

but people are like "oh f--- rollerbladin... they don't even put it in the x games anymore"...but what they don't realize is that rollerbladers made that decision for themselves... we got fed up with what was happening from corporations like that... people stopped showing up to these "contests"... "True street" contests became more popular.. the grassroots movement, pride in what you do. go check out rollerwarehouse.com some time... look at the clothes.. it's all "i rollerblade" this an that..

That's what y'all are really missing...pride for what you do and why you do it. there's still people out there that rip for the sake of ripping, don't get me wrong, but as a whole... it's all about the benjamins...and if you watch dogtown and zboys (i think was the name of the movie)...get back to your roots... it's not about the benjamins at all.. it's about the hunt... the friends... the love.
    Hoodlum Threat
    Youtube
    Live Stream
    Twitter

i just wanna know who spraypainted "nigz" and "sailor" at the x-games

like what the fuck?

well i agree that skating has lost that spark that made really unique. not that it isnt unique now it's just everytime u see a dude skating they either have nikes on or lakai or w/e fuckin shoe. if u ask them whyt hey got it they may say "cause nikes beast!" or "HAVE U SEEN FULLY HAIRED!?!?!" or something. like they never really explain much and it seems like u only spend ur money on the big shots who are popular at the time. if u wear ipaths then some ppl may think u dont have much skating knowledge, even tho uve been shredding for over 9000 years longer than they have even learned how to push. But honestly i mean it was kinda good and bad at the same time that skating got like the way it did. i mean pros get paid more for their shit and thats good. but its the originality of the skating thats lost its touch because all people think about is nike. hopefully some of these corporations will notice that famous spots are gettin torn down and can try and to do something about it.....be useful
    IM A BOSS ASS BITCH

Quote Originally Posted by K05T0N View Post

like what the fuck?
    is that suppose to be for show? cause if it is.....*chuckle chuckle chuckle laugh*
    IM A BOSS ASS BITCH

Skateboarding is what you make of it; not what some jerk on a blog says, or what the idiots on ESPN say it is--Ignore that shit cause it aint real. Also, using a multi-million dollar production movie as an example of "what skateboarding should be about" is a contradiction; sorry.
    I love skateboarding and I always will, because of what it has provided me--no one is paying me any money to slappy the curb by my house. Whatever happens on the 'corporate' side of skateboarding will never change my mind. The true culture of skateboarding lies within the act of skateboarding and not within the mere perception of it.

edit: it looks like that unicycle guy is holding his nuts the entire time;..now thats 'gay'.
    Last edited by heshfield; 08-10-2009 at 04:07 PM.

the reason i used the movie is because, as a rollerblader, that's the nearest i have to understanding the "roots" of skateboarding. I'll admit, i don't see all of skateboarding... i don't expect to understand, just like i don't expect anyone here to understand rollerblading.
    Hoodlum Threat
    Youtube
    Live Stream
    Twitter

I hate that it's some sort of weird take on what they consider "street" culture now. They're just trying too hard to hire people to duplicate what they could have someone legitimate do for probably half the cost. I almost liked it better when they were completely fucking clueless. Like the first xgames course that looked straight out of the nickolodeon gameshow "Guts". I think they even had the aggro-crag. Neon and purple everywhere.

omg i remember that... they were like purple and green...

edit...yup purple with fun designs...

and no i didn't search for rollerblading, honestly, it's the first thing that came up when i searched 1995 X games street

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X5Rh3IURHg
    Last edited by Roccityroller; 08-11-2009 at 09:04 AM.
    Hoodlum Threat
    Youtube
    Live Stream
    Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by pawnluvguitarist View Post
    honestly I dont really follow the skating culture all that much. Its pretty lame how its become, but the culture has never effected how I skate/dress/act whatever. Skating for me is one on one with your board and just having fun with friends, not about being cool, fitting in and making money.

An i dont hate on anybody, rollerbladers, bikers, unicycles, whatever, its all good
    This

IM A BOSS ASS BITCH

Quote Originally Posted by Hitmanx123 View Post
    AR knows best

indeed
    IM A BOSS ASS BITCH

so true about the ads in tw

dude, i saw an ad(in transworld) for a disney show called Zeke and Luther
    I raged pretty hard
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeke_&_Luther

u got beef with zeke & luther?

whoa man, I'm not trying to start anything

thats what i thought

What "ruined" skating can't be based solely on the skaters themselves.. Blame Corporate sponsors like Mt. Dew and MTV and Redbull.. Honestly, if one of those companies came up to you, and said they would give you a $2million contract plus free product, in exchange for media coverage and being in ads and "competeing" in "Dew Tours," would you NOT do it? Specially now, with the times.. Just remember, we all do something we don't like for Money.. And as for Nike.. Ever actually skated in a pair of Nike SB's? Hightops and mids, even the lows, are the most comfortable shoe I've ever skated in.. But I skate in any shoe that feels good.. Not because PRod wears Nike, or because Mike Mo wears Lakai.. Just don't point the finger at skaters alone for doing what they need to make money.. Remember, once you go pro, skating isn't a choice anymore, it's a job..

XBL
    TheDietTea

Quote Originally Posted by K05T0N View Post

like what the fuck?
    You might want to look at it closely..
    Look's like N1UZ to me..
    not to mention the U that you are saying is a G, is split up..
    not a common style if so.

Skating is what you make it.. enjoy it or stop doing it.

Get Stoked

When it comes down to it, skateboarding is a democracy and it's the skateboarders fault that all of this mess is happening. I completely agree that skateboarding is super fucking gay right now, but, corporations and business are always going to want to make money. These money-dudes are going to come in, make offers, win the person over and have a product to make money off of. That doesn't make skateboarding gay... the people buying those products, watching these contests, and spreading the gayness are the people making it gay.

It's just like anything else corrupt that can't be governed... you have to boycott it to get rid of it. Let's be real though, that's never going to happen. So, I watch the culture I have grown up with crash and burn like everything else. I'm used to it by now.

Really when it comes down to it though, I can still go out and ride my skateboard, alone, where ever possible. That's all that matters to me... I don't conform to what people think skateboarding is or should be, skateboarding is what it is to me. No one will ever take that from me...

We have to remember, people enjoy skateboarding for different reasons and whatever that reason may be, we have no right to take it away. To do so is selfish and a step closer to douche-bag than the senior citizens running the X-games.

As long as I'm able to buy what I need to skate, none of this shit matters to me.
    Agreed that watching skate videos and contests is fun, but nowhere near as fun as the real deal; doing it myself.

And this 'newfound' popularity that skateboarding has spawned the last couple of years will probably fade in a couple of years. If you think about it, it's not the first time skateboarding becomes popular to the public.
    The big corporate brands will most likely ditch skateboarding when it starts to fade again, which I really think it's going to do...

Corporations and contests are not an accurate barometer of skateboarding; though the criticism and complaints are valid, we should remember that the 'culture' lives in the streets not in the boardrooms, so to speak.

...and anyways, there isn't really a singular 'skateboarding culture'--skating has always been characterized by its diversity, different styles etc.; to assume that there is a static skateboarding culture seems to play into the marketing mindset...
    Last edited by bene317; 10-06-2009 at 05:45 PM.
    "Bene's tranny skating is still sick as ever. Bene just loves them trannys."--Nolan

"You call it religion, I call it shit."--Ian MacKaye

Steam
    fallingskyline
    PSN
    fallingskyline
    XBL
    fallingskyline

Imo what makes skateboarding gay is the fact, that it lost its purpose to be fun for most of the people, if i go to my local skatehall, i don't see kids that do something for fun. they just go there to prove something and score eachother out the whole time. c'mon i mean when i started skating back in 91 it was so total different to what it is now. surely i went through a lot of trends, too (hence the small wheels big pants era) but the focus in skating has always been fun and having a good time with your friends. when we went to contests it was more about getting wasted then actually skating, there were enough dates were i got in the finals and then fucked up because i was already to stoned, drunk or whatever. but if you go to a contest nowadays its DEADSERIOUS BUSINESS... and i gotta agree with demz on 99-01 being the years to ruin skateboarding to what it is now...

cole's change from normal (chill style) to zero's glamrockqueen was just ridiculous
    Skate Till Death (STD) / Doppelgänger Produktion (DP) / Small Town Crime (STC) / Dharma Inc. / Cap Faction ST

Seeing the Light

Just know, if a faggot skater(poser) shows up at my local park, the hardcore
    kids will no matter what beat the shit out of you.
    One time, these faggots showed up with really gay hair and ryan sheckler boards
    and RS(Ryan sheckler) clothing brand t-shirts and shit, they were at the flatground
    spot playing a game of ollie skate.

They were drinking gatorade(note, I love gatorade and drink all the time there.
    No difference if they drink it, I'm just sayin')
    anyways. They were spouting off shit, saying they were better than those oldfaggots in the combi bowl.
    Hardcore kid is smoking a cig, he comes up and flicks the bud at his face. fight ensues.

Who wins?
    Hardcore kid. FUCK YEAH!

Edit:
    lol
    Last edited by Liekhug; 11-13-2009 at 05:54 PM.