Thread: No more single city

Default No more single city

So I just found out that there's no longer one single city, which for me was one of the best things about Skates 1 and 2 - the freedom to skate for miles, one end of town to the other...

Totally bummed in the gob on this one.

How's everyone else feel about this? I mean, sure, I teleported a lot, but just as often rode the city end to end.

Sorry if this has already come up, but I've not been around on here for like a long long time.

you have to weigh the pros and cons.

sure, you don't have one big city but each of the three districts is a lot larger than 1/3 of san van, at least that's what you hear.

the game might run a lot faster with less city to stream, so less frame drops like at the library in s2 hopefully.

and honestly, how often did you skate san van from top to bottom?

for me, it's no big deal really. i always teleport around. i only skate around aimlessly when looking for new spots. i can still do that in each of the three sections.

it may sound like a step backwards but i guess we won't be missing it in the end.
    show us your teeth and show us your tits and show us the scars from the shit that you did.

my footage @ youtube & vimeo
    http://www.doppelgaengerproduktion.com

"how often did you skate san van from top to bottom?"

Hmmm... probably one in three sessions, at most, but still, going to miss it. I'm dreading the thought of invisible walls. You're probably right, it will make it smoother and will probably be handled in the best possible way, but it'll still feel weird... at least for a while.

This minor setback hasn't really diminished my skatelove, though. I'm super ready for 3.

wait!!?!?! its really not all connected?? WTF?

IMA HELLA MISS A FULL CITY
    i used to skate top to bottom and vice versa day in and day out.
    fucking bummbed....

Quote Originally Posted by Bud Muhnquai View Post
    I'm dreading the thought of invisible walls.
    i think it will be like the current maps borders. mountains, houses or walls or large hedges or something. it will be like three totally self-contained areas.

there will never be stuff like an ongoing street where you just can't skate further at some point.
    show us your teeth and show us your tits and show us the scars from the shit that you did.

you can still skate from one area to another..
    you just wont be in a city..
    youll be on the interstate...

while i dont like the idea of splitting the areas up..
    the pros weight over too much to ignore...

and hopefully later these areas become cities and we have our gta size multi city weve all dreamed for...

UG/Popless Pioneer pawnluvguitarist's Avatar

wonder what kind of estimate they have going for how big PC is compared to SV, like just a rough estimate...

Quote Originally Posted by pawnluvguitarist View Post
    wonder what kind of estimate they have going for how big PC is compared to SV, like just a rough estimate...
    my guess would be around 1/3 larger.

but if cougar mountain would have been a district with the spot density of the stacks it would have been a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Demzilla View Post
    you can still skate from one area to another..
    you just wont be in a city..
    youll be on the interstate...
    Wait....what?

So you can glitch up onto the interstate like in S1 and skate to the next part?

Doesn't that go against what they said about having to stream a whole city at once causing frame drops?
    [08:21 PM] thesignguy: i like to trap people with movables, its like my make believe audience, i leave them off screen when i film so people dont find me odd

Just turn right at every street and you can skate forever!
    ".........................................."
    Helen Adams Keller

Eesti

I've got faith, they did this for a reason. I can't see that reason being to make the game less enjoyable

kinda reminds me of the old th series before THAW which can be a good thing do to the "limited" area more work and detail could go into them because they don't have to worry about the filler to connect to areas, knowing this (1st I've heard) I'm curious on what they are going to do for the load screens.

Stopped Pushing Mongo Mourning Becomes Electra's Avatar

I'll reserve judgement until release day.
    PSN: Mourning_Becomes

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning Becomes Electra View Post
    I'll reserve judgement until release day.
    Im going to wait until it comes out aswell before I start judging something which really you do need the final product to do.

Quote Originally Posted by PS3 Skater View Post
    Im going to wait until it comes out aswell before I start judging something which really you do need the final product to do.
    yes x10.

A little speculation never hurts = if the interstate thing is true, and I trust Demz on this one, then it might not be so bad.

Banned

idk i dont think it will be to bad

No way can it be a bad thing. It's all about the spots.

OMGLOOL

i mostly teleport anyway, if im doing challenges mainly i like to skate round a bit aswell though. but when i find a tidy spot i tend to stay there for ages though

Seeing the collection of videos now and all the different interviews, I cant imagine this being that much of a bad thing, I mean even if they are completely separate areas, the chances are they are going to be a tad on the large side and it would shock me if BB didn't do something to connect the areas up. Anyway I'm pretty sure most of us use the teleport function on skate 2 anyway the majority of the time.....

2 days till the demo!! ... cant wait!!!
    I think 2 days sounds shorter when you say, "the day after tomorrow" lol bit on the random side tho lol

2 days till the demo!! ... cant wait!!!
    I think 2 days sounds shorter when you say, "the day after tomorrow" lol bit on the random side tho lol
    it's even only 46 hours, that means around 2760 minutes or 165600 seconds, i mean 165599, 165598 .....

Quote Originally Posted by schnavolda View Post
    it's even only 46 hours, that means around 2760 minutes or 165600 seconds, i mean 165599, 165598 .....

love that!

Minglin'

Now that I've played the demo, where you have to teleport between the skate school area and the university district my conclusion is: It sucks that the city is now divided into 3 sections.

I already found it annoying in skate 2 where you had to teleport to your DLC.

XBL
    TheDietTea

city not completely connected - less lag, faster load times between levels because they are not as big.. and even then it being broken into districts Wouldnt think they'd be seperated.. we got the university district and not even the full district to skate in the demo.

Seeing the Light

It can't be bad. It allows places to be much different than others. Like traveling from New York to Canada to Maine. It's better.

From what I've seen of the environment so far, I'm guessing this won't be as bad as I thought.

Regarding this being a non-open world game:

"To glean some insight into the larger game, I spoke with producer Chris Parry (more commonly known as Cuz) about a variety of topics. First, I grilled him about the all-new setting of Port Carverton, which represents the series' first foray out of the original city of San Vanelona. In the past, players have been presented with a single contiguous open world in which to skate, while Port Carverton is broken up into three discrete regions. Though in a technical sense this may seem like a step backward, Mr. Parry pointed out that it liberates the level designers. In the construction of San Van, having everything connected constrained the design to being essentially one big hill that would always dump players off in one of a couple of basins near the bottom."

shouldbefloating

this could just be a precaution to make our playing experience a little bit better..
    and i think skating with team members in one big area instead of the whole city would be nice
    being able to spot hunt but not have to skate 10 miles to get to eachother