Thread: Giving up on S3 already...

Default Giving up on S3 already...

So, I found myself teleporting around, looking for spots that I wanted to skate and realised that, even with everything that I love about S3, there's nowhere I really want to spend time skating. I think this is probably due to the repetition of spots between the first two games.

I've given up. I actually got bored of Skate for the first time in, what, 4 years? That and the real lack of anyone to play online with (apart from adda, who I've not had a chance to skate with yet - thanks for the add by the way) have really taken the wind out of the sails for me.

What a bummer.

Of course, this could also be to do with me getting Red Dead Redemption and being completely blown away... but really, I just can't find any excitement for S3 right now.

Perhaps if y'all added me and we hooked up online at some point, I'd get more out of it... but most of y'all are on the Xbox anyway, whereas I'm on PS3... sucks to be me in Port Carverton right now.

If anyone does fancy adding me and meeting up at some point, my PSN ID is budmuhnquai. Help me get back into it!

You can add me if ya want. I was actually thinking the same thing 2 days ago after i finished my video, then i just sat cruising around and not worrying about filming or anything again, and i keep finding new stuff to skate. You've also got the CAP to use too, so if you have a spot in your head, just build it. My PSN is ProjectOmega if you fancy it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Revolutionist View Post
    You can add me if ya want. I was actually thinking the same thing 2 days ago after i finished my video, then i just sat cruising around and not worrying about filming or anything again, and i keep finding new stuff to skate. You've also got the CAP to use too, so if you have a spot in your head, just build it..
    well said,

sometimes you get the feeling of not playing it, and you know what you gotta do.....

thats right, don't play it =)

just play it when you feel like and don't feel as though you have to play it because its new/your making a video.

Thanks for the reassurance guys. I feel bad, because my girlfriend bought it for my birthday and I've rapidly lost interest. Perhaps once I'm done with RDR I'll get back to cracking on it - I'll add anyone that posts their ID in here and perhaps we can have a hook up sesh soon?

Centainly mate, i have noone else on my list that plays skate.

i thk the city suxx balls too, its very uninspiring. its hard to say excatly why, but i feel you. last weeks ive been playing caps and custom spots exclusively, and loving it. ill drop into the city later maybe, but for now i have more than enough with customs.

It's not so much that it sucks balls, it's just quite uninspiring. I've not found a single spot that I could waste an hour on, like with the first two. I was so psyched by what I saw in the demo but it didn't live up to that. There's too many wasted spaces, like the quarry and the mega parks - perhaps they could have tightened those up to make them more interesting?

I'm also stuck onthe quarry trick list, as some of the required spins and tricks are just stupidly hard (for me - I'm way more into the smaller areas that I can focus on little tricks) - I don't want to have to fork over money for the Time pack when I've only got two trick lists left to do.

Downtown has the most fun places to go to. University has the pools and small house to house gaps that are fun. A bit of plywood makes a lot of difference.

while the city definitely is the worst of all three i think as of now, there's still stuff to find. you just have to dig deeper. i been skating a spot last night i could have been skating in the demo. felt fresh for some reason.

but as others said. take a break. it'll feel good when you come back.

you could add me on PS3, but i don't play anything online there anyways.

PSN is JestHatesYou.

Lately though RDR, UFC, and PC Games have been taking up most of my time. The only problem that I've had with Skate 3 is the absolute frustration from the Camera. Takes me more time to edit my tricks properly than it takes to get the tricks and once I have them edited in.. the camera glitches and goes all nuts after one proper playback.

Really takes the wind out of my sails when I realize that after the hour or two I've taken to get the trick is nothing compared to the 2-3 hours I'll spend in the editor trying to get the angles I want without it going apeshit glitchy. Only to end up giving up and saving the shitty version hoping to have the drive to come back to it later and get it correctly.

In any case.. feel free to add me and join me in any game I'm playing. Be forewarned though. The guys I run with in most games are pretty harsh and truly enjoy griefing the shit out of people. If you're easily offended then it's probably best to just play Skate games with me (as they don't play those games).

UG/Popless Pioneer pawnluvguitarist's Avatar

PC is by far the best city if the three for me. You have to dig a bit to find the special spots, and there's lots of opportunity for adding on to stuff with droppables.

It just feels more like a real city to me.

Blazing a Trail

what flix and stevland said.
    I m not in love yet

I still think its just about getting used to it.
    just wander and youll find something

Pawn, i really dont know how you can say this city feels more real. Its really far from looking like a city in Europe (and im pretty sure even in the US you wont find anything similar)

well i'm workin on a new park, so come sesh it with me when i'm done bud!

Quote Originally Posted by adda89ldn View Post
    well i'm workin on a new park, so come sesh it with me when i'm done bud!
    Sounds mighty fine to me.

Blazing a Trail SeksulChokolate's Avatar
    PSN
    Weird_JamJar
    XBL
    SeksulChokolate

Quote Originally Posted by pawnluvguitarist View Post
    PC is by far the best city if the three for me. You have to dig a bit to find the special spots, and there's lots of opportunity for adding on to stuff with droppables.

It just feels more like a real city to me.
    I agree with you pawn
    Especially with the implementation of plywood and object dropper...I feel like even if i cant find a natural spot..which I always seem to find...I can always just make one happen
    I feel like it makes it more rewarding landing a trick at a spot that you added on to

Resident Fruitbooter Roccityroller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SeksulChokolate View Post
    I agree with you pawn
    Especially with the implementation of plywood and object dropper...I feel like even if i cant find a natural spot..which I always seem to find...I can always just make one happen
    I feel like it makes it more rewarding landing a trick at a spot that you added on to

and that doesn't even consider in CAP.

you want recognizeable places to skate? look up chrisquarry on skate.create. He's done hubba hideout, love park, MACBA, Wallenburg, Rincon, and pier7.
    Hoodlum Threat
    Youtube
    Live Stream
    Twitter

Community Center DLC would help for a cruisin around just for fun sesh.

Maloof and the Ghetto Spot are good for that too.

Ill be honest and say ive seen too much of San Van. Now adding on extra new districts, that would be ideal. Just dont go back to SV!

Granted i have only got maybe 3 hours of gametime in on a constant manual controler, and its rented on top of that.... But.... I hated s2 first few days, and i have enjoyed pc a lot so far. The colors in old town sucked, waterfront or whatever was the biggest waste of space ever. Ispent more time in the streets of the city trying to find something that was never there. When you looked around they ruined good og spots with plopping a goofy pyramid or someshit right on top of something. S2 had upper and lower rez and thats it period. I have not even been to the city yet in pc so i cant comment on that. But one thing i have noticed is almost everything is skateable so far. Quarky angled walls, parking blocks, bariors, seems like everything will except you riding on it which is a big plus. It is very spread out, but this far (even a couple hours) i had seen all of s2. I am far from bored yet. I have seen maybe 1/10 of pc. My choice of spots has always been completely different from most though. I spent a hour goofing around outside of where that ship or sub or whatever the fuck that piece of shit is. But with cap none of it really matters. S3>s2>s1 plain and simple no doubt.
    ".........................................."
    Helen Adams Keller

like most other things, i totally agree with you SG, im in the same boat.

Like theres an empty parking lot just outside the allmart plaza, i could skate that for hours. The simple things, building stuff, getting creative...

or all the curbs that you can slappy

Stopped Pushing Mongo aaronberlin's Avatar

I may be a fairly unfamiliar face around here, but i'm looking to get a little more known.
    I'm on the ps3 side of life, and i hate it just as much as everyone else. I'm not really enjoying the city as much as s2, i can't really dig the long mellow rails everywhere but downtown, and all the good cap's seem to be on the box.
    But i think skating with people would bring back some fun, even if, as pawn said, it was a vacant parking lot with some droppables.
    Anyone on ps3, add me @ aaronberlin, just put s3 or something in the message.

JayMosEnvied

sometimes I get bored with the game but as mentioned if you find a good spot and be creative you can skate it for hours. there has to be a spot you like haha. take a break though then hop on when you really want to play. i might buy RDR haha

Banned

I personally loved s1. The way it was good to skate but not meant to skate seemed very realistic. And for some reason, i just really liked the old subway system of getting around. maybe its cus im an NYer. Maybe its because i had gotten bored of tony hawk and how every map in it had ramps and rails on the walls like theyre trying really hard. I loved the simplicity of skate 1, plain and simple.

The thing that's keeping me coming to S3 is, as thesignguy mentioned, how skateable the city really is. I've tried little tricks off of all kinds of things (some completely unrealistic) and found that it can at least be attempted in most cases. Makes for some fun clips.

I've played Skate since S1, but I'm not a good skater irl. I had to learn what good lines were and what to look for in spots to skate (once I got S2, I had a lot of help with that from the videos everyone here posts... thanks guys!) I was finally to the point where I could try some pretty gnarly tricks once the S3 demo came out. I instantly fell in love with hc mode. It has it's quirks, but it adds that challenge back to finding spots to hit.

Haven't even played with object dropper much, and haven't messed with cap yet. Minus all of that, NSV was my favorite city to skate because of where my learning curve was at the time. But with the added physical realism in the game, along with cap and the dropper, It's only a matter of time before PC becomes my favorite skate city... Or I'll just hit some parks

PC is without a doubt the worst of the 3 cities. At least if you're into realism, which I am.

PC offers some different flavors, but for the most part, it's all just overly scaled gigantic theme park areas. PC feels more like Tony Hawk than ever. Every area you skate is the size of a 16 lane super highway.

It's funny cause I was always a little pissed about S1 and S2's lack of good banks, or banks that you can grind at the top of or banks with ledges built midway, and S3 has beaten that horse to death, reanimated it, then beat it to death about four more times.

The entire city is full of banks and banks with ledges on them. Every single area you skate has a bank now. It's almost stupid. I have yet to find a small, intimate spot like you could find on S2. I mean, remember the hidden loading dock spot from New San Van? There seems to be little to nothing like that.

Every spot you skate feels like a skate park or a skate plaza. Nothing feels like a city anymore.

Don't get me wrong, I still love the franchise and will play S3 as much as I played S2, and I'm sure Skate 4's city will be even more of a Tony Hawk Rollercoaster World than Skate 3, but I'm disappointed in the direction.
    I wanna be the life of the search party.

This seems like an important discussion. I'm not bored with the city yet because I know I have not completely explored it completely, but there's some shit wrong with it. Object dropper is handicapped, I've completely frozen my xbox after creating a setup in the city maybe 10 or 11 times. None of the other Skates ever froze my xbox completely.

Some of the things we asked for are packed in though. I think we should wait for the patch before we give up. As it is, I've already made some shit happen that simply was not possible in skate 1 and Skate 2.

I'm not going to skate feverishly, but I'll skate steadily. I'll tell you this, access to roofs, plus roofs actually having respectable physicality, plus the new speed glitch, means people who like death defying gaps won't get bored anytime soon.

I found a massive roof to roof gap with a funky landing that's just barely possible that I spent over an hour mastering and I never felt bored.

And, anyone who wants to add me online is welcome to it. I'm pretty low key, just don't be a yappy 12 year old racist and we'll be good.
    Horsehead
    "like a gnarly dog on PCP with gold teeth biting your face."

personally I love the new city, its beautiful, very aesthetically pleasing. Not a lot of "perfect" handrails and sets, but a lot of opportunity for the quirky little things that i'm into. I like not being handed spot after spot, although there are quite a few nice ones, but i like being able to add on to pre-existing setups to make things work.

It kinda just comes down to your mindset and how you look at things. Seeing the possibilities, finding something where others see nothing. I kind of see the districts as just different backdrops for CAP, instead of starting from scratch, you are in a beautiful environment with a few obstacles already there as your starting point.

I dont see myself giving up on S3, im liking it far more than the other games, and with object dropper, CAP and hardcore mode, (and hopefully the patch that gives us more merging options) I think i'd be content if this was the final game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    And, anyone who wants to add me online is welcome to it. I'm pretty low key, just don't be a yappy 12 year old racist and we'll be good.
    Ahhh... fuck... guess we can't be friends...

Totally agree with you though - the city is big and needs exploring. And you can't give up until a patch comes out...

Right now it's about finding a nice little spot (like that roof gap you mentioned) and just skating the fuck out of it until you need to move on. There's lots of little spots to be found. They're just hidden amongst the 45 stair sets, three story high banks, and ledges that look like houses... hahah

I just hope that the patch fixes the CAP framerate problem. So many good parks but skating them feels so sluggish and tedious...

Still love the game though. Just have to make it your own and have fun the way you want to have fun. People obsessing over the little problems need to just cool off a little...
    ----------------------
    --> "I wont give up my real friends just to play that game alone at home with headphones on, isolated from social contacts. Why did u (EA) had to ruin a game that hard? Did someone just poop in your cereals? Are we to blame for this action? "

Quote Originally Posted by BeatChemist View Post
    I just hope that the patch fixes the CAP framerate problem. So many good parks but skating them feels so sluggish and tedious...
    qft