Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Skate 3 the last installment in the skate. series?

Steam
    Monkadelic

hey Cuz, in spite of my drunkent rant, i have nothing short but the utmost respect for you guys that were on our side and am very appreciative what you have done for the series... I am very sad to see you go, but you gotta do what you gotta do right? Im not playing as much any more, but that also doesn't mean im gonna stop.....even if all the reels get faded out just hoping on for a sesh everyonce in a while still gives me the buzz i need ( minus the six pack hehe) keep rolling.....

Was that Cuztard guy....was he Cuz?? Holy shit.

Cuz if you read this, I want to say that I'm very thankful for all of your hard work. I love this game... and I won't stop playing it, even if there's only 3. I have a passion for this game that some people wouldn't understand.

I really wish I could skate with you online. I've always dreamed of doing that, but I figured it would be impossible to communicate with you. One session with you would be the coolest thing ever . My GT is MarcoPoloUSN if you actually read this.

The heyday of skateboarding games is past, the head of EA, the company that makes Tony Hawk rival franchise Skate, told Kotaku in an interview this week.

EA chief John Riccitiello, whose company's Skate series has been regarded as the better skateboarding video game series in the last few years, sees skateboarding as part of a bigger group of games he thinks will stick around.

"When it comes to action sports, I think that's going to be an an ongoing exciting genre," Riccitiello said during an interview in New York City. "But at least for the level of excitement out there, skateboarding seems to have run its course as the representative example in that broader genre."

Tony Hawk games used to be annual best-sellers but have flopped creatively and commercially in recent years. EA's Skate series, which seemed to surpass the Tony Hawk games in quality has never generated the same buzz as those earliest Tony Hawk games.

(from kotaku)

music games? D:

Riccitiello had been more optimistic about music games, which he believes will make a comeback.

As an example of a new action sports game that is clicking with gamers, Riccitiello cited his company's revival of NBA Jam, a game that has been reviewed well this fall.

Don't Worry, Be Happy Cookiesupporter's Avatar

Music games haha

As if there aren't enough already...but whatever. The series was a blast.
    I did it all for the cookie

Resident Fruitbooter Roccityroller's Avatar

i mean did anyone really think it would last forever? But they did give use to the tools to build whatever we want and keep the game fresh, so we can't complain too much. Someone will come out with something eventually. Once they think the "community" wants one.
    Hoodlum Threat
    Youtube
    Live Stream
    Twitter

This is heartbreaking news. EA just uses things up and spits them out. Cuz, I really wish you guys had signed with a more supportive publisher than EA.

They squeezed you for their annual release scam, and basically blew up the spot over the course of three years, leaving nothing left. Fuck EA.
    I wanna be the life of the search party.

Don't Worry, Be Happy Cookiesupporter's Avatar

ok I got a question which might be dumb, if so I'm not even sorry...

Soooo couldn't BB look for a new publisher (dunno which, cause I have no overview over the branche) and publish a skate game in 2 years or so`? Of course it wouldn't be called "Skate" I guess, but that's no problem I guess. Or is this impossible because of any weird laws and rights EA has? Or is there anything else makeing this completely impossible?
    I did it all for the cookie

Fluckin' Hatchling

SSX Rumour update:

NO...much of the Skate team is not working on the enw SSX. That is inaccurate and beyond misleading.

I know of maybe 2-3 people that worked on Skate that were working on SSX when I was "seasonally rolled off". These numbers may be higher now, as I am not privy to their current staffing. But it is not much or the soul...for sure.

It's a bummer that they are saying this...it is our legacy...the Skate team's legacy that they stand to diminish if the game bites.

Scootie, J-Bomb, The Darkman, Benny, the world builders, the main physics and animation SEs...nope!

well ssx is gonna be junk....damn....hoope the squirrel suit flyng is legit tho.
    man I was hoping ssx and flickit.

Stupid fucking people, and their stupidity.
    Last edited by saunders420; 12-08-2010 at 09:25 AM.

as soon as i read the "similar controls to skate" it happened...

ea has taken the engine...
    prolly the rights...

and is going to destroy it into the floor with any game it can...
    watch..
    adventure girl using the kickflip to punch or throw shit...

shits weak...

(coughhjgfueakhbfaeboipressurehfoaieubfhenginehfio rahiofcough)
    SUPPORT YOUR HOMIES...

I wonder if anyone lurking this thread could possibly know/share any info on when the servers would go down?
    ".........................................."
    Helen Adams Keller

Cuz: Again, many thanks go out to you guys. I've been a hardcore gamer and skate culture fan for a long time and skate entertained me for countless hours. I'm glad you guys made a product that you were proud of, I'm glad you guys kept an eye on the scene before EA chewed you up and spit you out, and I'm super bummed that I can't look forward to a long Skate future under your watchful eye. I hope you stick around with us until the bitter end, when EA kills the servers.

I really think this concept that the skate-gaming market is dead is based off of the foolish head-meet-brick wall development of the recent Tony Hawk games and the obviously awful Shaun White games. The Tony Hawk series hasn't been relevant in so long, and the Shaun White games have been awful since SW:Snowboarding was first even suggested, and these miserable attempts at uninspired games basically ruined it for all of us. Had they not flopped so miserably, I think the gaming market wouldn't have been so convinced that skateboarding was dead as a concept/market.

It's fucking criminal and I'll probably never forgive EA, or the Tony Hawk and Shaun White devs.
    I wanna be the life of the search party.

its just not fair, cuz thank you for all of your work into the series,

it was bound to end, maybe its skates time....

for me i dont want it to but it just might

Fuck. Just Fuck. I love this game. It is my favorite video game of all time. There might never be a better game.

Cuz, thank you. Thank everyone that you can for me. Whether you intended to or not, you brought together a small group of friendly, ultra-creative people who will probably stay in contact for a long, long time. That alone is worth it.

I hope I have enough time to get clips for one last solo. I'm swamped for the next two weeks.
    Horsehead
    "like a gnarly dog on PCP with gold teeth biting your face."

Blazing a Trail SeksulChokolate's Avatar
    PSN
    Weird_JamJar
    XBL
    SeksulChokolate

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Cuz, thank you. Thank everyone that you can for me. Whether you intended to or not, you brought together a small group of friendly, ultra-creative people who will probably stay in contact for a long, long time. That alone is worth it.
    qft
    Hoodlum: Threat

i want a hair off cuz's beard so i can finally become a real man not this wooden puppet with a giant phallus for a nose
    EzPzLemnSqueezy http://www.youtube.com/user/EzPzLemnSqueezy Fuck

Jack: I watched this, and now I'm officially retarded. Even as tipe these, I can fell my brian sloery grating numb. gnow, wheen eyee ophen my mouf is begin to drewl tiem. Tanks for you to my for is different.

ef aye wash tis gain ten I no tinker moar. then sreepy teim 4evrr.

Steam
    Boxerman08
    XBL
    Boxerman08

I've heard S3 was the last skate game in the series, along as there aren't going to be any new DLC's (thats just what I've heard anyways...) But even though S3 might be the last skate game in the series, I've still had an amazing time and countless hours played ever since the drop of S1. Got each of the skate game on the date they came out, and played it often until the new one would come out. I still play S3, not as much as I used to because of other real life shit, but I still play it and have a blast every time because I find new stuff and new ideas come into play. I just hope that the servers dying out is just a rumor and won't happen, because I think that will pretty much kill the skate.community... :S

After being a part of the community since shortly after OG Skate dropped, it's really disheartening to see everything so broken up and left in shambles (more or less). I've had a LOT of great memories playing these games, and met a lot of great people (most of them gone now). I'd like to say thanks to everyone who kept finding cool spots, glitches, and lots, lots more; to all the community members who helped shape the games over time, who thoughtfully and intellectually got their points across, and to all the haters for making me realize "hey, this is just a video game" when in heated arguments. To my past teams (Massacre, Frequency, From Hell, Catface), and to my friends from all over the world, thanks.

- Brandon (aka Corpsey)

Amateur Flucker

awesome to see Cuz dropped by for the community, was no doubt BB's #1 employee

if I hadn't of read most of your guys' replies, I would have guessed the Skate 3 servers would still be up for at least a couple years now.. I mean, the game boasted all these different features that relied heavily on the community aspect of it (skate reel, cap sharing, graphics creator...)

don't you think it just sounds silly having all those online functions removed only after a year or so of being released?
    Scharkey

Blazing a Trail

Well it was fun while it lasted and for me I will continue to play for a long long time.. Thanks for all that you've done Cuz and its to bad our plans didn't happen , but its no biggie

Keep Rollin