Thread: Phantom Flex

Default Phantom Flex

I came back from NAB last year seeing this camera's footage and was blown away. One of the projects I am currently working on is using footage from one of them and I was blown away.
    My client emailed me this afternoon with this video showing its true power................WOW.
    Thought people here would dig it.

Do you remember when you were a kid, playing Nintendo and it wouldn't work? You take the cartridge out, blow in it and that would magically fix the problem. Every kid in America did that, but how did we all know how to fix the problem? There was no internet or message boards or FAQ's. We just figured it out. Today's kids are soft.

Resident Fruitbooter Roccityroller's Avatar

i don't even wanna know what that thing goes for. Would be sick to shoot some skating with. lmao. 2500fps, most peoples brains won't be able to comprehend that.

60 fps @ 1080p = ~2% speed without frame loss. Good lord.
    Hoodlum Threat
    Youtube
    Live Stream
    Twitter

Retails from around 50k to 150k. That's some serious equipment right there. I doubt you'll see anyone rocking one of these in a skate video except maybe Spike Jonze.
    old psn: jest118
    new psn: jesthatesyou

Resident Fruitbooter Roccityroller's Avatar

slow motion fucking lightning... wtf

Hoodlum Threat
    Youtube
    Live Stream
    Twitter

Steam
    Monkadelic

that was awesome! BUT I THOUGHT THE red SERIES was the thing to have since the Hobbit is all being shot with a RED. like what is the difference between the 2? fps?or to reds have the ability to be shot entirely in 3D ?

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    that was awesome! BUT I THOUGHT THE red SERIES was the thing to have since the Hobbit is all being shot with a RED. like what is the difference between the 2? fps?or to reds have the ability to be shot entirely in 3D ?
    The reason why the Hobbit is being shot with RED is because it is cheaper than the Phantom. Phantom and RED are competing companies, both making high end 2K and 4K cameras. RED is amazing, terrible workflow, but amazing. Phantom is the same, superior quality but a little easier to work with. You are basically just comparing a Bentley and a Rolls.......both amazing high end luxury toys, each with their own fan base. I would take the Phantom, as I would take the Rolls. I have seen the two in action and although both are amazing the Phantom just has more raw power and functionality, which comes at a much higher price.

The base Phantom goes for 50k where as the RED base goes for 25k. This is just the base.......no attachments. You can easily tack on 50k to the Phantom and another 25k to the RED to get it the way you want.

Either way both sick cameras, just depends on your preference.

side note: Peter Jackson made a deal with RED also. They supplied him with 30 RED Ones for shooting the Hobbit. That too is the reason why, if you goto the RED website. Both Fincher and Jackson are on the home page. Social Network used RED and the Hobbit is using the new RED Epic. Its all about deals in Hollywood and I guess RED made the best one.
    Last edited by monkeysunkle74; 02-13-2011 at 09:18 AM.

Do you remember when you were a kid, playing Nintendo and it wouldn't work? You take the cartridge out, blow in it and that would magically fix the problem. Every kid in America did that, but how did we all know how to fix the problem? There was no internet or message boards or FAQ's. We just figured it out. Today's kids are soft.

jackass 3d used phantom for the megaslomos i thk. looks slowley.