Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pawn RL 2009/2010 Throwaway

UG/Popless Pioneer pawnluvguitarist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by briden View Post
    Man you love taking shit out of context; have you heard Gesmer talk about skating, or even seen his skate parts? Or rather, "choreography" as he calls it. HE looks at it as a dance, not me. His mindset is that of a dancer, not a skateboarder. So no he isn't skateboarding; he is dancing with a skateboard. I could go on about other stuff he says and his views, but it basically comes down to this: if you walk down the street with your board in your hand, then you're walking, not skating.

And I already stood up for freestyle, which is arguably the least popular form of skating right now, so your last point makes literally no sense.
    how does it make no sense? You said longboarding wasn't skateboarding you said dancing on a skateboard wasn't skateboarding, just wanted to see where you'd draw the line.

But yeah i've seen his stuff, like this one :

You do realize choreographed dance routines were huge in freestyle in the 70's just one of the poplular phases in skateboarding, it wasn't until guys like Mullen who started really pushing trick wise that the dance routines faded from the mainstream. Then mullens form of freestyle faded out and shaped how street skating is today. How is one trend, or one step in skateboarding's evolution less "skateboarding" than another?

Im not 100% sure Mullen formed street skating, but i dont think thats totally what you meant. I think it was more of a natural progression. Tony Alva and Jay Adams going over the coping in a pool might be more to credit for stretching peoples bounderies in skating. Mostly because there was no video and mullen wasnt in to many mags at the time. I think he probably deserves credit for doing a ton of tricks first even if they were done again by a lot of people before they saw him do it. But most if not all 80's/early 90's pioneers in skateboarding hold Mullen in a very high light.

I have never run into Satori before, but what i heard about him seems true, welcome to fluckit.
    ".........................................."
    Helen Adams Keller

oh yeah, totally didnt mean street skating was all Mullen, he was just a big step, just like Dogtown boys before him

I remember long time ago, someone coming here from skate this i think, complaining you were being a dick. Demz said you tell it like it is and dont give a shit or something, and people get offended. I said sounds like my kind of guy
    2 years ago i bet
    Helen Adams Keller

i guess im not a real skateboarder cuz i dont go tricks all the time.....i just carve the bowl at 25 mph.

Yes You Can!

Quote Originally Posted by Skatehead View Post
    i just carve the bowl at 25 mph.
    Now that's skateboarding haha.
    -Dharma Inc.-
    -Baroque-

Quote Originally Posted by PyR0MaNiAc225 View Post
    But like a funny sad, like when a girl gets cunt punted and she yells really loud and high and funny, but then she bleeds to death

Man you always have nice mannys and smooth stalls and bonks.
    Nice edit.

Quote Originally Posted by pawnluvguitarist View Post
    how does it make no sense? You said longboarding wasn't skateboarding you said dancing on a skateboard wasn't skateboarding, just wanted to see where you'd draw the line.
    I'm not even drawing the line myself, though. I'm just going with what he's saying: he has the mindset of a dancer. And honestly I'm not even trying to hate on him, but I see how it comes off that way. He's doing his own thing, and I have no problem with that, but he doesn't consider what he's doing to be skateboarding, so neither do I.

But it does bother me a little bit how you can tell from him talking that he's bitter about where freestyle skateboarding was going, all that "gliding and turning" talk. Basically talking shit about everything Mullen (and similar freestylers) did before Rocco's influence and the Plan B era. I don't even necessarily disgree with it, but he knew he wasn't going to last in the skate world and IMO he was just trying to save face.

And as far as longboarding goes, I can just turn the question right back (not directly at you, Pawn. Just in general): Where do you draw the line? Isn't the whole point of longboarding to get from point A to point B? Would you consider riding a Razor scooter to be skateboarding? Or driving a car? edit: What about ripsticks?
    Quote Originally Posted by momadaddy View Post
    i mostly play with myself now

I get your points, i think we are in more of a general agreement the more we clarify our arguments.

But to answer your question i really wouldn't draw a line, its more of a spectrum that branches off into different areas. At one point you'd have the beginner kid doing caveman stuff and throwing his board around and at the other end you'd have all the best pros in street, freestyle, vert ect. I just find it hard to think of someone doing anything with a skateboard and it not being called skateboarding.

I get your points, i think we are in more of a general agreement the more we clarify our arguments.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to pick a fight or anything, but I think we both interpreted each other's meanings differently.

I just find it hard to think of someone doing anything ON a skateboard and it not being called skateboarding.
    I'll agree with this.

I think my point is more: Just because you're doing something on a skateboard, that doesn't necessarily make you a skateboarder.

And to adjust what I said earlier, longboarders aren't skateboarders because longboards aren't skateboards. The same way that ripsticks aren't skateboards, and neither are these:

Longboarding is kind of like skateboarding, but with training wheels.

But the very first skateboarding was just riding around on boards that more resembled longboards than standard modern skateboards. Just riding banks or carving bowls, no tricks just literally street surfing. By your definitions of what skateboarding is you could argue that skateboardings pioneers weren't actually skateboarding, and that's just not right...

I don't really care if a longboarder is considered a skateboarder or not, I really don't. This convo has gone way to far already imo
    But a rip stick and that thing you put up aren't skateboards, that pic is close, but a razor scooter? come on. A longboard is just a longer version of a skateboard. If a longboard is not a skateboard in your view where the hell is the size cutoff? there is pretty much every size available so you would need to draw the line somewhere, its ridiculous. I'm curious, do you just not want to be called something IE a "skater" if a kooky longboarder is called one too?

A bicyclist is someone that rides on a bike no?
    Helen Adams Keller

The early skateboards are/were still called skateboards, although as far as I know, the first ones were 2x4s with roller skates attached, not longboards. Todays skateboards are also called skateboards, but longboards are called longboards. The name itself has 100% more to do with surfing than skateboarding.

Ex: Freestyle decks, even though they have a slightly different shape and are used for a different type of skateboarding, are still called skateboards.

Skateboarding and longboarding have their own board shapes (both in overall size and wheelbase), standard wheel size/hardness, completely different truck geometry, and even pads are different.

edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by thesignguy View Post
    A longboard is just a longer version of a skateboard. If a longboard is not a skateboard in your view where the hell is the size cutoff?
    It's not about the size, size has changed since the beginning and is still changing. Your average board today is 8+ inches, but less than 10 years ago that was considered a big board and really hard to find in shops.
    Last edited by briden; 03-08-2011 at 01:29 PM.

XBL
    TheDietTea

In certain circumstances sure, longboarding is point a to point b..
    But there's more to it; just like modern skateboarding.. some carve roads at high speeds, some skate like they were using a modern one.

Just a random video.. The size of the board doesn't matter man.
    I keep finding more.. and I'm enjoying it..

Sure, you can do tricks on a longboard, or on a techdeck, or on a broken tree branch if its shaped right. Again, the shape doesn't have anything to do with the intent. If there's a nail sticking out of a piece of wood and I knock it in with my skateboard, does that suddenly make it a hammer? No, it's still a skateboard that's being used as something else. I'm hammering with a skateboard. But this is getting a little too philosophical for my tastes, nobody can win an argument like this.

I think this video sums it up better than my words can. This is the gonz skateboarding on a longboard.

i never seen that video of Gonz skateboarding in that vert contest
    Helen Adams Keller

XBL
    TheDietTea

Hahaha..
    This discussion is bogus.
    If longboards aren't skateboards then neither are "normal" sized boards because we didn't have them back when.
    It's like saying someone on a modern sized board carving a bowl isn't skating..
    it's about adapting to your environment and technically, riding a board is doing so..
    someone that has never been on one before; it's doubtable they could carve or just ride straight.