Thread: Pawn RL 2009/2010 Throwaway

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    UG/Popless Pioneer pawnluvguitarist's Avatar

But the very first skateboarding was just riding around on boards that more resembled longboards than standard modern skateboards. Just riding banks or carving bowls, no tricks just literally street surfing. By your definitions of what skateboarding is you could argue that skateboardings pioneers weren't actually skateboarding, and that's just not right...

I don't really care if a longboarder is considered a skateboarder or not, I really don't. This convo has gone way to far already imo
    But a rip stick and that thing you put up aren't skateboards, that pic is close, but a razor scooter? come on. A longboard is just a longer version of a skateboard. If a longboard is not a skateboard in your view where the hell is the size cutoff? there is pretty much every size available so you would need to draw the line somewhere, its ridiculous. I'm curious, do you just not want to be called something IE a "skater" if a kooky longboarder is called one too?

A bicyclist is someone that rides on a bike no?
    ".........................................."
    Helen Adams Keller

XBL
    TheDietTea

In certain circumstances sure, longboarding is point a to point b..
    But there's more to it; just like modern skateboarding.. some carve roads at high speeds, some skate like they were using a modern one.

Just a random video.. The size of the board doesn't matter man.
    I keep finding more.. and I'm enjoying it..

Sure, you can do tricks on a longboard, or on a techdeck, or on a broken tree branch if its shaped right. Again, the shape doesn't have anything to do with the intent. If there's a nail sticking out of a piece of wood and I knock it in with my skateboard, does that suddenly make it a hammer? No, it's still a skateboard that's being used as something else. I'm hammering with a skateboard. But this is getting a little too philosophical for my tastes, nobody can win an argument like this.

I think this video sums it up better than my words can. This is the gonz skateboarding on a longboard.

Quote Originally Posted by momadaddy View Post
    i mostly play with myself now

i never seen that video of Gonz skateboarding in that vert contest
    ".........................................."
    Helen Adams Keller

XBL
    TheDietTea

Hahaha..
    This discussion is bogus.
    If longboards aren't skateboards then neither are "normal" sized boards because we didn't have them back when.
    It's like saying someone on a modern sized board carving a bowl isn't skating..
    it's about adapting to your environment and technically, riding a board is doing so..
    someone that has never been on one before; it's doubtable they could carve or just ride straight.

The early skateboards are/were still called skateboards, although as far as I know, the first ones were 2x4s with roller skates attached, not longboards. Todays skateboards are also called skateboards, but longboards are called longboards. The name itself has 100% more to do with surfing than skateboarding.

Ex: Freestyle decks, even though they have a slightly different shape and are used for a different type of skateboarding, are still called skateboards.

Skateboarding and longboarding have their own board shapes (both in overall size and wheelbase), standard wheel size/hardness, completely different truck geometry, and even pads are different.

edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by thesignguy View Post
    A longboard is just a longer version of a skateboard. If a longboard is not a skateboard in your view where the hell is the size cutoff?
    It's not about the size, size has changed since the beginning and is still changing. Your average board today is 8+ inches, but less than 10 years ago that was considered a big board and really hard to find in shops.
    Last edited by briden; 03-08-2011 at 01:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by momadaddy View Post
    i mostly play with myself now