Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: What new tricks have you learned this year?

XBL
    TheDietTea

Got caveman slides almost everytime with an acutal drop in to the ledge Finger flip out.. 360 hand shuv out and hand varial flip out

Found a dope spot in the park to get a richie jackson style under rail pop under hop on deal.. loving that

Got a ton of manual combinations I don't think anyone does.. kinda cheesy but they are pretty technical too.

Skateboarding is a great time for me right now I couldn't be more pleased with how fast things are becoming fluid and how many ideas I am coming up with on the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Antwan View Post
    Found a dope spot in the park to get a richie jackson style under rail pop under hop on deal.. loving that
    haha, just saying hippie jump would have been easier to type and understand, that's cool though, I need to learn hippie kickflips.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiltzuh View Post
    I skate unrealistic in real life...i just learned ungrindables at my local park !
    Videos; www.youtube.com/derwreck

XBL
    TheDietTea

Yeah well what do you call the one he does with his hand though is it a caveman?
    That's the one I'm talking about..

Steam
    Boxerman08
    XBL
    Boxerman08

Skateboarding is a great time for me right now I couldn't be more pleased with how fast things are becoming fluid and how many ideas I am coming up with on the spot.
    I wish I could find the time to skate, or even the motivation. I didn't always really like skating alone, but with work and school at the same time, it blows lol hardly any free time, and when I do have free time, I just chill with friends or whatever... I can't wait to find the time to skate. And right now, with fkn winter coming up, I won't be able to skate for the next 4-5 months...

Don't Worry, Be Happy
    XBL
    DonVigo

Question for the jury: If you approach a wall (transition) where you would naturally turn frontside, but two seventy into a feeble (wheels on deck) it's a hurricane... Is it a sugarcane if you're going the opposite direction and leave your front wheels hanging into the tranny like a ally oop 270 smith???

If it's a sugarcane, that was the last trick I learned... Or I just spin around all funny and go backwards on my back truck with my front wheels dipped. Not sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krome View Post
    this dude. this dude disappears for months then pops up with 5 full length vids in the span of 2 weeks.

dont wanna start a thread so imma post mah videos hereee.
    an ollie
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSBu-nXiOnI

and me messing up my ankle a little bit back. the initial pain was both my knees but then i soon found out that it hurt to walk..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZw3hx6sajc

edit: and not to ignore you DonVigo but i have no idea
    Last edited by a red bicycle; 11-13-2011 at 08:39 PM.

Don't Worry, Be Happy
    XBL
    DonVigo

Quote Originally Posted by a red bicycle View Post
    edit: and not to ignore you DonVigo but i have no idea
    No worries, my man. One HELLUVA ollie you've got.
    this dude. this dude disappears for months then pops up with 5 full length vids in the span of 2 weeks.

Fluckit Senior Citizen replicant's Avatar
    XBL
    replicant#2618

Quote Originally Posted by DonVigo View Post
    Question for the jury: If you approach a wall (transition) where you would naturally turn frontside, but two seventy into a feeble (wheels on deck) it's a hurricane... Is it a sugarcane if you're going the opposite direction and leave your front wheels hanging into the tranny like a ally oop 270 smith???

If it's a sugarcane, that was the last trick I learned... Or I just spin around all funny and go backwards on my back truck with my front wheels dipped. Not sure.
    FS Hurricane = BS Sugarcane
    BS Hurricane = FS Sugarcane

Hurricane = Boardslide Setup
    Sugarcane = Lipslide Setup

Now you know the basics of when retards name tricks.
    Fuck Neil Blender!
    Bear "replicant" Powell
    "I am Shaolin-Style!"

XBL: replicant#2618

Currently Playing: Diablo 2 Resurrected, Elden Ring, Skate 3

Just got my kickflips back to normal....
    treflips too..

varial heels are easy, Inward heels are ALMOST on lock.

got crooks on rail finally,
    bs blunt on ledge finally as well (been like 3 months practicing that shit)

Switch blunt in tranny....

Saw a dude do a blunt airwalk/fingerflip out iin tranny the other day...he broke my mind...my new hero..

Also, benihannas<3<3

XBL
    TheDietTea

Quote Originally Posted by Boxerman08 View Post
    I wish I could find the time to skate, or even the motivation. I didn't always really like skating alone, but with work and school at the same time, it blows lol hardly any free time, and when I do have free time, I just chill with friends or whatever... I can't wait to find the time to skate. And right now, with fkn winter coming up, I won't be able to skate for the next 4-5 months...
    Just gotta do it man.. that motivation will drive you through it if you let it.. Surround yourself with only skaters once a week obviously don't ditch on plans but plan ahead.. maybe even more than once a week after you get warmed up.

I usually have to walk like 8 blocks everyday here in NY just to skate but that motivation keeps me pushing..
    I've gained my stanima back and working on even more of it.. skating full days when I can.
    to my surprise people are digging this stuff I guess that's why I assumed a little taste was ok for my teaser.. but it's all good. Having people cheer you on for your obscurities is awesome.. People that don't skate and skaters alike.. can't stress how great the atmosphere for skating is here.

Conquered some steep ass banks today.. upping my confidence.. got another caveman tail slide today fingerflip out.. busted ass but I've never felt better.. got them dialed on flat ledges and working on hubbas.

Still working on halfpipe manuevers trying to get the manual up board tap piv manual back down just keep slipping up so three parts to it I would say..
    1.Manual up
    2.Board tap side of halfpipe from manual
    3.slight pivot manual down.. keep slipping up.. the halfpipe is steep but not incredibly I mean I can get the first two parts.

Steam
    Boxerman08
    XBL
    Boxerman08

Just gotta do it man.. that motivation will drive you through it if you let it.. Surround yourself with only skaters once a week obviously don't ditch on plans but plan ahead.. maybe even more than once a week after you get warmed up.

I usually have to walk like 8 blocks everyday here in NY just to skate but that motivation keeps me pushing..
    I've gained my stanima back and working on even more of it.. skating full days when I can.
    to my surprise people are digging this stuff I guess that's why I assumed a little taste was ok for my teaser.. but it's all good. Having people cheer you on for your obscurities is awesome.. People that don't skate and skaters alike.. can't stress how great the atmosphere for skating is here.
    There's nothing good or even skate-able really within a pretty big radius. I have to take a buses/metros to get to something decent. A place I used to go often is like 45 minutes away by bus, so it's definitely a bitch to waste so much time travailing. I don't know many people that skate around where I live anymore as well, so it's that much harder to skate with friends. Honestly, if it was just 8 blocks away, I would walk/skate that shit anytime

I've been to NY before though, and it does look like an amazing place to skate, I envy you for that

XBL
    TheDietTea

Yeah I guess man.. if you don't just enjoy cruising you might just take that trip when you can if you want to..
    you sound like you want to but you won't give in.. no changing who you are!

I've been messing with front foot bonks planting the back foot
    Thinking about taking it to walls and into manuals.. rainy today however so just thoughts of this.

Steam
    Boxerman08
    XBL
    Boxerman08

well the thing is, if I have someone I know who's down to skate, I'm ready to travel if I can easily get there by bus/metro/train lol but nearly everyone I know stopped skating, and only a few still keep at it, but we don't have the same schedule really so it's hard to skate. I'll hopefully be more into it when spring comes around, since canadian winters are harsh as fuck lol snow for the next 4-6 months... I'll be skating (or try to) once a week at an indoor park, but doing that could become expensive in the long run. 15$/4hr session (approx.), but I'm still ready to do that haha

UG/Popless Pioneer pawnluvguitarist's Avatar

1 foot 270 shuv boardslide on a parking block

XBL
    replicant#2618

Quote Originally Posted by pawnluvguitarist View Post
    1 foot 270 shuv boardslide on a parking block
    I need footage. Sounds funky looking.
    Bear "replicant" Powell
    "I am Shaolin-Style!"

Quote Originally Posted by replicant View Post
    I need footage. Sounds funky looking.
    cameras been dead for weeks, hopefully new footy at some point.

Yeah, its really a weird trick. I started by first doing 1 foot 360 shuv its to manual right next to the parking block, then quickly turning the manual into the boardslide. Just slowly doing less and less manual until it was landing right in the boardslide

That sounds sick! Still on your custom shape deck?
    Quote Originally Posted by momadaddy View Post
    i mostly play with myself now

Quote Originally Posted by briden View Post
    That sounds sick! Still on your custom shape deck?
    yeah, im on to my second one, almost totally chipped away, but i dont wanna start a new set up till winters over.

XBL
    TheDietTea

yeah, im on to my second one, almost totally chipped away, but i dont wanna start a new set up till winters over.
    I hear that man but some dude hooked me up with a bunch of decks
    I usually shape them just by skating around but certain points get jank and cut me started wearing gloves..
    something about my current deck too I've had it for quite some time hard to let go even though it's starting to split from the bolts.

Got manuals to front foot bonks

started manualing up turn manual down on this half-pipe

Got spacewalks into a steep ass bank hauling ass haha so fun

Got A Few sal-flip variations.. Nollie Hand varial flip
    still working at the 540 shuv variant.

Shit ton of caveman variations I can't even explain you'd probably have to see them.. I'll try to explain one though
    Roll up pop the board into my hand, jump 180 and stand on the side of a tall bank, jump from the bank to one foot tailslide a fairly high ledge next to the tall bank.
    Last edited by Antwan; 11-20-2011 at 05:40 PM.

SWITCH FS 360s.. thanks to my friend. forreal i owe it all to him

XBL
    replicant#2618

cameras been dead for weeks, hopefully new footy at some point.

Yeah, its really a weird trick. I started by first doing 1 foot 360 shuv its to manual right next to the parking block, then quickly turning the manual into the boardslide. Just slowly doing less and less manual until it was landing right in the boardslide
    Sucks about the cam, but I do look forward to seeing it at some point.
    Bet you need a fair speed to keep the boardslide smooth looking which could lead to some nasty falls.

something about my current deck too I've had it for quite some time hard to let go even though it's starting to split from the bolts.
    My Santa Cruz deck is finally splitting at the bolts, but I refuse to replace it until my trucks come through the deck.
    I have it too comfortable right now to break in a new one.
    Last edited by replicant; 11-21-2011 at 05:20 AM. Reason: multi-response
    Bear "replicant" Powell
    "I am Shaolin-Style!"

Sucks about the cam, but I do look forward to seeing it at some point.
    Bet you need a fair speed to keep the boardslide smooth looking which could lead to some nasty falls.
    i wish, only slid about a foot or two, far from clean, smooth or fast, but its a start.

When you guys say "splitting at the bolts," do you just mean pressure cracks?

XBL
    TheDietTea

Well I wont speak for replicant but on my end I'm not the least bit sure.
    I really only just started stomping my tricks and even then I just started thinking bigger
    My boards been through hell..
    Completely soaked in water a few times.. banged into shit..tossed around trying to figure certain tricks out.
    If the board wasn't as thick as it is I think it would be done by now.. but I keep using it.

I have lines coming through the wood and griptape outward toward the tail end of the deck from the bolts.
    Last edited by Antwan; 11-21-2011 at 03:44 PM.

XBL
    replicant#2618

i wish, only slid about a foot or two, far from clean, smooth or fast, but its a start.
    Definitely a good start. I can't wait to see it in motion.

Quote Originally Posted by briden View Post
    When you guys say "splitting at the bolts," do you just mean pressure cracks?
    Yeah, mine are pressure cracks. The perils of me refusing to use risers for like 15+ years now. ^^;

I have lines coming through the wood and griptape outward toward the tail end of the deck from the bolts.
    If the cracks [lines] are running lengthwise on your board originating from the truck base plate area, then you have pressure cracks.
    To me it sounds like that is what you have. Mine are on both trucks and run slightly toward nose/tail and inward.
    With your being more toward the tail end it sounds like your heaviest [roughest] landings are more on your tail where mine are focused directly on the trucks themselves.
    It's pretty common for people who don't use risers and somewhat common on those who use absorb risers.
    "Back in the old days" when we used 3/8"-1/2" or so risers I rarely ever saw it, but it still happened sometimes.
    Bear "replicant" Powell
    "I am Shaolin-Style!"

Don't Worry, Be Happy
    XBL
    DonVigo

I'm somehow olderschool than Rep! I refuse to rock less than 1/4's inch worth of risers. Usually a pair of standard ones, though. I learned REAL quick that the Dooks Stacks with the foam layer just squish and create play that's bad for your deck and hardware alike.

Could have something to do with my inability to ride wheels less than 56mm though. I carve hard, and wheel bite bites.

XBL
    replicant#2618

Quote Originally Posted by DonVigo View Post
    I'm somehow olderschool than Rep! I refuse to rock less than 1/4's inch worth of risers. Usually a pair of standard ones, though. I learned REAL quick that the Dooks Stacks with the foam layer just squish and create play that's bad for your deck and hardware alike.

Could have something to do with my inability to ride wheels less than 56mm though. I carve hard, and wheel bite bites.
    Hehe, I just got used to no pads with the "new school" switchover. My wheels are 55 spitfire manslaughters which I am on my last set of. QQ I love these wheels.
    Bear "replicant" Powell
    "I am Shaolin-Style!"

Don't Worry, Be Happy
    XBL
    DonVigo

Hehe, I just got used to no pads with the "new school" switchover. My wheels are 55 spitfire manslaughters which I am on my last set of. QQ I love these wheels.
    I remember when the older kid on the block that got me and the other little kids into skating got his first new school deck. 9" wide, big trucks, and TINY wheels with no risers. I tried going down the street on it once and just hated the feeling. I think I was 18 when I got my first set of wheels smaller than 60mm. Like, the 56-58's I ride now are a compromise in my head 'cause I barely cruise down the street for transportation purposes anymore. I've had the same set of Sector 9's for about 6 years now, and will finally replace them next year with some Bones Greek Captains. I think it's cause I'm also a car guy, but to me, wheels are the most important part of my setup.

XBL
    TheDietTea

I was hanging out with this guy in his mid 30s nothing huge but he had some old school style
    modern board and some big ass wheels Like just a step below long boarding wheels..
    Guy was cruising.. I might have to try some of the bigger ones.

I went out for a little bit today There's a manhole cover near the ledges in the park
    got a nice powerslide on it.. pretty different.

i still prefer the small wheels, like 48 ish. I like to be as low to the ground as possible. I love loose trucks too, with big wheels and no riser pads i'd be just asking for wheel bite haha.

XBL
    TheDietTea

Yeah I need to experiment more with wheels..
    I've been thinking about a custom setup
    it's a bit odd but so is my style..
    some bigger wheels in the front and smaller in the back maybe.
    I've noticed the front wheels get so flat it's crazy.. in a month or so one wheel is half of what it used to be..
    Having trouble getting speed because of.. yeah that's something I noticed is really fun too..
    I like a bit of flatground but I like to think I could adapt to anything in weird ways.
    It's amazing what you can come up with if you enjoy making things up.

Yeah I need to experiment more with wheels..
    I've been thinking about a custom setup
    it's a bit odd but so is my style..
    some bigger wheels in the front and smaller in the back maybe.
    If you do that, I'd put a high truck in the back and a low in the front to even it out. You want to avoid a lowrider setup if possible.

XBL
    TheDietTea

Haha true that..
    Damn that would be badass though lowrider hahah na
    It wouldn't work I'm guessing, the lowrider thing.. but yeah you're right..
    I'll have to talk to some skate shops.. there's like three near me in willamsburg.

I need glove recommendations too if anyone does that sort of thing.. I guess that's more longboard status eh..
    Something cheap yet effective I'm not palming down hills or anything just to protect my hands.

I did try the med tape on fingers just doesn't cut it for what I'm trying to do.. I'm surprised Mike V gets use from it.

XBL
    TheDietTea

Got my manuals down pack..
    Going so far with them now.

Got a few powerslide variations at a medium speed
    Dog piss slide? Grab the nose of the board plant the back foot extend the front and slide the tail while pushing it forward on flat

Footplant nosegrab slide? plant the front foot pull the nose toward you and push the tail out sliding on the ground quickly shift back to regular on flat

XBL
    TheDietTea

Finally got turn arounds on a steep bank today..
    There's a crack before it so it's kinda hard and I've never done anything steep but it's basically a powerslide 180.. so fun.

Starting to fuck with wallies up ledges, came naturally after sliding the bank.

Can I Kick It?
    Steam
    MacksHeadroom
    XBL
    MacksHeadroom

Last time I skated was a year ago and i was 300 lbs (yes i typed that correctly)
    But a year ago i had heel flips on lock...

Now im 220 and want to see if i can finally learn how to tre flip or atleast see if i can still ride the damn thing...i just could never get the whole puzzle together

I've learned: Fakie B/S Fullcab flips, SW F/S Bigspins, Fakie B/S double flips,Nollie F/S 360's And now i'm trying to get them inwards heels on lock

XBL
    TheDietTea

Well I am feeling pretty confident with carving up steep bank walls now..
    leaning into halfpipes at highspeed to carve small lines..

Anyone here skate vert effectively?
    I'm looking to get into doing stalls but I'm not sure how to approach it
    what's the easy one to try first.. Also what's weight distribution like?

Well I am feeling pretty confident with carving up steep bank walls now..
    leaning into halfpipes at highspeed to carve small lines..

Anyone here skate vert effectively?
    I'm looking to get into doing stalls but I'm not sure how to approach it
    what's the easy one to try first.. Also what's weight distribution like?
    I've never ridden a proper vert ramp, but I've skated vert bowls and holy shit is that the best feeling ever. But I wouldn't worry about vert just yet, try to find a nice mini ramp to get used to pumping and carving.

Have you done rock to fakies yet? I did those first, then got up to fakie tailstalls, and would just go back and forth doing them until my legs hurt. I learned bs pivots first, but axle stalls and feebles and bs pivots are all basically the same thing when you're stalling them; honestly I've seen tons of people learn all of those the same sesh, in any given order. Once you're comfortable with kickturns, just pump harder and get one up onto the coping. If you need to, set the front truck down, then bring it back in. In all seriousness, it's so much easier than you're probably thinking it is, just don't overthink it. And in regards to the weight distrobution question, I say keep it in the ramp at first, but as soon as you feel you've got a certain one dialed, work your way into standing up on it and grinding. But remember if you stop and hold the stall too long, it'll throw your momentum way off and you'll lose your special meter.