Thread: If the effects of this solo last more than four hours, call your doctor.

Don't Worry, Be Happy
    XBL
    DonVigo

Default If the effects of this solo last more than four hours, call your doctor.

And brag. If anyone should be impressed by that, it would be a medical professional.

OH, yet another solo, by the by:

I'd appreciate any feedback I can get good, bad, or indifferent. Critiques breed development, and all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krome View Post
    this dude. this dude disappears for months then pops up with 5 full length vids in the span of 2 weeks.

I enjoyed my time with this video. I would say mix in a few more fisheye lens shots. My main thoughts on skateboard filming is that the spot is the real star of all my shots. So i would just say hunt for those gem spots. Check out that Animal Machine vid, great spot hunting in that. I'll be looking for your next production.

and there i was on GFaqs complimenting ur filming this time out, lol. but PermaAm brings up a good point. i would like to see a little fisheye in your vids too, now that i think about it. i also totally agree that spot selection is the real star. the 5 in 1's you and i used to do rubbed off on me. i'll session a good spot for hours on end, (admittedly, sometimes too long, as i end up with an overabundance of footy from said spot). but yeah, since the 5 in 1's, ive been having my skaters eye out for them special spots.

again, as i said on Gfaqs, SOLID work this time out. fully enjoyed it!

Don't Worry, Be Happy
    XBL
    DonVigo

Thanks a bunch guys! I actually just got the whole long lens thing going in the last couple of montages. I'm just kinda starting to get into the 10mm but I'll most def start using more of it. It's been kinda fun seeing what kinds of spots do well with what kinds of zoom. I do a lot of long lens on big gaps so they can be the star. I'm right there with you guys on that concept. Thanks again, more to come... Soon.
    this dude. this dude disappears for months then pops up with 5 full length vids in the span of 2 weeks.

Fluckit Senior Citizen replicant's Avatar
    XBL
    replicant#2618

funs gaps are fun.
    Bear "replicant" Powell
    "I am Shaolin-Style!"

XBL: replicant#2618

Currently Playing: Diablo 2 Resurrected, Elden Ring, Skate 3

Well after u posted about fluckit style I fig I better check a vid to see what u got going on...... 1st to admit I didn't see this yet and it's on page 2 call it mah bad but whatevs.......

Generally I'm not going to critique a vid at fluckit as to what u could improve on as I as a fellow flucker have no right to tell u what the fluck to do but it seemed like that's what u wanted in your post so here goes.......

This is just personal opinion but a couple of things i noticed...

1 I always prefer the vignetting turned off on long lens shots it's 1 click during uplOad and is important in ascetic appearance.
    2 and this is actually really most important in what I saw. Every trick and spot in my opinion should have been thought out before done I'd be hard pressed to believe everything in this vid was thought out...example a hurry on a ledge with a bigger spin out. That trick doesn't seem right there in fact a bigger spin outta hurry never seems like the right selection. When u see a spot u should see it filmed in your head before u even do it. I actually think it out before I do anything like bs to fs based on angle of gap do I want it to end skaters back or skaters front do I kickflip or heelflip because I want the foot to kick towards camera 90 or 270 out based on the second trick I want to hit next in the line. Basically that would be a long exPlanation saying this simple fact trick selection plus spot selection plus film angle is what creates great films.

Lastly edit wise landings and down beats if u don't currently know what a waveform is Look it up it's editing 101
    Ungrindable.........I beg to differ!!

I'm on my phone so mods forgive browser doesn't allow me to scroll post in edit

But above is all meant in <3
    Ungrindable.........I beg to differ!!

Pretty solid. A couple of bangers in there.. although I have to agree with JP, some tricks didn't seem thought out, it's like they just kinda happened while skating around.

My biggest gripe would be the lack of skate sounds though. I like to be able to here the grind, and especially the landing!

Don't Worry, Be Happy
    XBL
    DonVigo

Hey guys, this one drifted off the front page before I could get that feeback.

As far as the tricks, every so often I'm guilty of the "oh, that random trick looked cool" filiming style, but it's probably less often than you think. 9 times out of 10 I don't flim the first thing I land, as I'll try a few tricks out on an object before I commit. However, I've never thought as far as the feet in the frame... Like, totally above the level of detail I've been looking at. That's a game changer, really. Shame I've plunked a ton of footy for my next project already, but that's a noodler.

And I'm assuming "waveforming" has something to do with the sound file. Beyond that, I dunno. I can read that to see where the main beats are, but I've also never really tried too hard to make landings go on beat. Another detail to start tracking.

However, I like to leave the vignetting on for consistancy. I'm a little ADD and for some reason it distracts the hell out of me in montages where it switches.

Speaking of, Shaydee - Do you know how to keep that sound in a super long lens shot?! I know that up close shots are cake, as you're right there, but my long lens shots seem silent when I get my hands on 'em.

Seriously guys, thanks. That's EXACTLY what I'm looking for.

What sort of long lens are you using? I go for about 110 - 160mm and that picks up the skating sounds fine, sometimes I may up the volume of that clip a bit, but not often.

A solution, albeit a painful one would be to film the clip again up close and put that clips sounds in place of the long lens ones.
    Last edited by Shaydee UK; 05-02-2011 at 12:07 PM. Reason: typo