Thread: FEEDBACK REQUEST - Alternative Fish eye

Default FEEDBACK REQUEST - Alternative Fish eye

Howdy.

I'm trying to create a more realistic look to my videos, and my first task is to create a better fish eye effect. I've also changed the video ratio as the majority or skate vids i watch aren't widescreen.

This is my 2nd test. And feedback or opinions would be great and appreciated.

Looks really good to me, but if you're looking for criticism I'll give it. With the bs 180 5050 and the gap to back tail especially, you aim the camera right at the skater, and the spot ends up being out of the shot. Next to owl camming, this makes videos look the most unrealistic. The skater doesn't always need to be center-frame. And if you can't keep both the skater and spot in frame, don't be afraid to back up.
    Quote Originally Posted by momadaddy View Post
    i mostly play with myself now

Don't Worry, Be Happy
    XBL
    DonVigo

Quote Originally Posted by briden View Post
    Looks really good to me, but if you're looking for criticism I'll give it. With the bs 180 5050 and the gap to back tail especially, you aim the camera right at the skater, and the spot ends up being out of the shot. Next to owl camming, this makes videos look the most unrealistic. The skater doesn't always need to be center-frame. And if you can't keep both the skater and spot in frame, don't be afraid to back up.
    "Make the spot the star of the shot."

Not something I have an easy time with, myself.

Also, say no to the Muska deck. He sucked in 98 when that came out, and he's... I dunno... What is MuskaBeatz doing these days? Still doing simple-ass tricks with some gimmicky boombox on his shoulder?!

(Yeah, I do know what he owns, and he's pretty cool in all reality. I just hated that MF in 9th grade when all the clicky kids trying to get into skateboarding rode his jock while there were MUCH better skaters out.)

Anyway, the effect works fine, just follow Briden's advice. It's a tricky balance to get a good shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krome View Post
    this dude. this dude disappears for months then pops up with 5 full length vids in the span of 2 weeks.

Blazing a Trail

I like it better, the widescreen that is...TBH i dont even like that letter box shit on any media, like movies and shows, I dont see the point of it at all.. Tt has something to do with something but whatever, just fill all 32in of my hdtv please lol. I always adjust my tv to zoom in and hide that useless shit.. I do so without distortion, maybe some loss of resolution but I dont notice it.. Also when watching movies/tv shows on my PC that is hooked up to my main TV, I use a media player called "GOM", if i change the settings to "zoom out by aspect ratio" and then "full screen stretch", then I can hide the black bars with out distortion and again I dont notice any loss in resolution.. sorry for the rant, I just hate that letter box lol

Anyway how did you get widescreen ? I got it to work with my thrasher s&d montages but I dont know how to with .skate stuff..
    Last edited by EternalRewind; 04-28-2011 at 03:25 AM.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Briden - I hear what saying and I deffo agree, the clips in this vid were done in seconds and i'd normally take my time getting just right. The vid was about the distortion effect, the screen ratio and the fish eye vignette.

DonVigo - lol. Not a fan of Muska either tbh I just really liked that board.

EternalRewind - Fair play man each to there own. I dont really have a preference myself. i've been watching a lot of old skate vids that have been converted over from vhs and they are all 4:3 and i just thought it would cool to try it.

My actual intention is to use it on s2 vids, as s2 quality is a little grainy which will give that tranfered from Vhs look :-)

Dazzle is the esaiest way I found to make it look like S2

Blazing a Trail

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post

EternalRewind - Fair play man each to there own. I dont really have a preference myself. i've been watching a lot of old skate vids that have been converted over from vhs and they are all 4:3 and i just thought it would cool to try it.
    i think you misunderstanding me...I like what you did with the aspect ratio when in fullscreen on youtube.. You have made it 100% fullscreen, I like this as I said in my post...Letter box = a black bar on the top and bottom of the screen...I dislike that....Again how did you do this?

Banned

when it comes to tripod (fisheye) shots, I personally dislike it a lot when people keep their skater forced in the center of the frame.

Try letting the skater swerve from one to the other.

Quote Originally Posted by EternalRewind View Post
    i think you misunderstanding me...I like what you did with the aspect ratio when in fullscreen on youtube.. You have made it 100% fullscreen, I like this as I said in my post...Letter box = a black bar on the top and bottom of the screen...I dislike that....Again how did you do this?
    LOL my bad dude I totally misunderstood.

In terms of how i did it. I filmed my line at 10mm and turned vignette off, I converted it as normal with unaltered aspect ratio, then in sony vegas I set the screen size same as the file (16:9). you set maintain aspect ratio to on, and then using the crop funciton set it 4:3. To get the fish eye vignette use the cookie cutter plugin and create a circke edging and set to the size you want.

To create the distortion effect you need New Blue Fx Fish Eye plug in, its on the New Blue essentials 4 pack.

Quote Originally Posted by jerr bear View Post
    when it comes to tripod (fisheye) shots, I personally dislike it a lot when people keep their skater forced in the center of the frame.

Try letting the skater swerve from one to the other.
    Ok cool man, i'll give it a test out.

try getting a bit more of the fisheye vignette in the frame. if you look at some older skate videos (specifically some of the almost round 2 and world industries videos) the fisheye is blurred around the edges a little.

either way this looks alot more realistic. oh and you're xplicit right?

mmm a blur, should be easy enough to create. I'm doing another test tonight when i get in from work, so will take a look.

I am indeed XPILiiCiT. I used to use that for my video however I decided to go with my actual name in end as my GT/PSN is more fitting with like a COD player or something.

aha bro im erizn. "i dont want to play with you I feel like a pedo grooming somebody"

Oh ok, hey dude.

That was Duce who said that, he was only joking though because he's a old fart (same as me unforutnately).