Thread: My new old school board

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thanks Pawn,

This made my day.

Don't Worry, Be Happy
    XBL
    DonVigo

Just going to say "pogo spacewalk" and leave it at that.

Again, Pawn and 'Twan, so much fucking respect to you guys for keeping that shit alive. One of the things I grew up loving and couldn't do.

Hell, in 23 years of skating I don't think I've landed as many kickflips.

Props from those who have the love, but lack the talent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krome View Post
    this dude. this dude disappears for months then pops up with 5 full length vids in the span of 2 weeks.

UG/Popless Pioneer pawnluvguitarist's Avatar

Just got pogos and truckstands for the first time Had to wear two pairs of socks and stuff another one in for padding but i finally committed to them

can any oldschool dudes recommend some sock/pad combination, I think i'd want some sort of shin pad and a knee pad.

Fluckit Senior Citizen replicant's Avatar
    XBL
    replicant#2618

Haven't read the thread in a bit. One of the things to point out about the finger tape. Many of the freestylers taped their fingers because it gave them more grip on various hand related tricks. The other reason is that back in the Early-Mid 80's some would also put small pieces of griptape on the bottom of the board in strategic locations where they grabbed a lot. The tape + grip gave them hella control at initiating fingerflips and board varials. Those who didn't use tailbones on nose/tail also gripped the ends to help with casper control (non-slipping shoes is nice) and such. I remember when Madrid Fly Paper hit the scene those of us who had freestyle boards stole everyones fly punch outs (like Grizzly Grip now has with teddy bears) to use on our decks. Per Welinder was one of the first I ever saw use lots of griptape on the bottom.
    Bear "replicant" Powell
    "I am Shaolin-Style!"

XBL: replicant#2618

Currently Playing: Diablo 2 Resurrected, Elden Ring, Skate 3

XBL
    replicant#2618

Quote Originally Posted by pawnluvguitarist View Post
    Just got pogos and truckstands for the first time Had to wear two pairs of socks and stuff another one in for padding but i finally committed to them

can any oldschool dudes recommend some sock/pad combination, I think i'd want some sort of shin pad and a knee pad.
    Never wore knee pads much like the old Rector ones since they were so bulky, but the slip on sports knee pads (like 1/2 inch neoprene. i call them volleyball knee pads) can help. Hella lame looking if not wearing jeans over them. Shin guards I highly recommend (I used the same ones I used for Soccer) and these days I'd go with Pro Tec black spade ones which are like $25-$30 bucks (Full Set of pads for street is like $50). If you ride in low top shoes you *may* consider the Pro Tec Ankle guards as you start doing more gnarly stands and flips. I never wore any special socks, but my mom always had me these over the calf super thick Hanes socks. I suppose you could consider getting some Thick cushion running socks which I'd imagine would help. Doing a quick google it seems Thorlos socks are well liked. Shoes play the biggest part there and back in the day all I would wear was Vision Street Wear. Not the most padding, but they were durable as hell.

Edit: Very young Mullen at Kona with crazy pads on. He had to wear every protective item known to man cause his dad wouldn't let him skate otherwise. Nowadays he only wears shin guards.
    Last edited by replicant; 05-11-2011 at 04:55 AM. Reason: video fun
    Bear "replicant" Powell
    "I am Shaolin-Style!"

thanks man, but i think i've decided against the pads/socks thing now. I thnk i just needed the padding to finally commit for the first time, cuz im fine now Plus im really liking skating bare foot in my low cut vans

Im also in the process of negotiating with this skate shop to see if they'll cut me a deal if I buy like 10 more boards. I just wanna stock up on it in case it ever goes ever production, because i absolutely love this board, been bombing more hills with it, and a little slalom, flatgrounds never been better, i dont wanna ride another board

XBL
    replicant#2618

Quote Originally Posted by pawnluvguitarist View Post
    thanks man, but i think i've decided against the pads/socks thing now. I thnk i just needed the padding to finally commit for the first time, cuz im fine now Plus im really liking skating bare foot in my low cut vans

Im also in the process of negotiating with this skate shop to see if they'll cut me a deal if I buy like 10 more boards. I just wanna stock up on it in case it ever goes ever production, because i absolutely love this board, been bombing more hills with it, and a little slalom, flatgrounds never been better, i dont wanna ride another board
    If you are serious on the boards buying in bulk let me know and I'll check with Cab to see if I can shoot you his e-mail and maybe you guys can work out a deal without the middle man. However, supporting your local shop is definite first priority to me.
    Bear "replicant" Powell
    "I am Shaolin-Style!"

Quote Originally Posted by replicant View Post
    If you are serious on the boards buying in bulk let me know and I'll check with Cab to see if I can shoot you his e-mail and maybe you guys can work out a deal without the middle man. However, supporting your local shop is definite first priority to me.
    that would be sweet dude, thanks a lot, i'll see what kind of deal i can get with my shop owner, but yeah i'll keep that in mind and get back to you if the deal falls through.

But yeah, have always supported the local shops, even if they were more expensive and farther away than the West 49's with their clueless chicks behind the counter, a clothing store that sells skateboards, not a skate shop, fuck i hate West 49, rant over...