Thread: skaters vs bmxers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

fucking scooter kids, they are the worst attribute when it comes to heading down to our new skate park, i'm all for the little ones being active, but this park is extremely cramped and they do not look out for any body, there is a few points in the park where bikers/skaters stand to be out of the way, but prepared to get a run or hit something, but around 90% of the time, there will be a train of 5 or 6, 8 year olds doing this 'train' around the park without showing the slightest bit of respect for anyone else other then themselves and when eventually one of them gets hit because of their stupidity, it is all the sudden the other person's fault.

I've seen this happen a good four or five times so far since the park opened, one of the accidents involved a skater pumping around this perm, kinda of like a pocket bowl to carve around, you go in and out in around three seconds. The skater looked around to make sure no one was near going in or out so that he could go and he goes in, half way around the bowl and a kid just enters into the bowl without a care in the world and the skater can't see him because he is turning around and he destroys the scooter kid. Mother comes up and starts bitching at him to look out for children while the rest of us try to explain that her kid doesn't seem to grasp the concept of 'look both ways before you cross the street' and she just storms off, all butt hurt.

long story short, I FUCKING HATE SCOOTER KIDS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiltzuh View Post
    I skate unrealistic in real life...i just learned ungrindables at my local park !
    Videos; www.youtube.com/derwreck

"long story short, I FUCKING HATE SCOOTER KIDS." i also hate them lol
    create it and skate it !

Quote Originally Posted by Stokenstein View Post
    From what I recall, I only had problems with BMX riders when they would destroy our ledges with their pegs or snake us in the park going like 35mph when they're probably not even supposed to be there.

I have friends that bmx and one of my favorite skateparks in Florida was owned by a couple of pro BMX riders, flatground dudes though, so a different type of biking.
    are u talking about mesh skatepark by chance ? and i have pegs that are aluminum with a plastic sleave over . ( NO damage to ledges )if anything it would be like waxing it up a little
    create it and skate it !

XBL
    TheDietTea

The sleeve thing is interesting.. never seen that before..
    There is no versus man.. not unless you make it a competitive thing.
    I respect anyone who has enough courage to express themselves..
    BMX, Skateboarding, Art, Basketball, Music.. etc. it's all the same.. classification is bullshit.
    Listen to Nike if you must.
    Just fucking do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Antwan View Post
    The sleeve thing is interesting.. never seen that before..
    There is no versus man.. not unless you make it a competitive thing.
    I respect anyone who has enough courage to express themselves..
    BMX, Skateboarding, Art, Basketball, Music.. etc. it's all the same.. classification is bullshit.
    Listen to Nike if you must.
    Just fucking do it.
    i was not trying to make it a competitive thing i was just wondering everyone thoughts on bmx as most of u skate and i bike ( but i have mad love for skating and skating videos)
    Last edited by OGBMX420; 05-05-2011 at 01:20 AM.
    create it and skate it !

Fluckit Senior Citizen replicant's Avatar
    XBL
    replicant#2618

Alright, I am a skater from the 70's to the present. Initially I learned to dislike BMX riders mainly because they were privileged little twats in the early to mid-80's. Being a kid in low-mid income there was no way I could afford the Mongoose and Haro bikes out and the guys who had them in my area loved to rub your nose in this fact. So, there was a common dislike between skaters and bmx riders mainly because of the opposite side of the tracks mentality.

In the Late 80's/Early 90's I saw a lot more BMX Freestyle/Ramp people and less track nerds. I also saw a blurring of the money line as I was skating with kids in multi-million dollar homes and watching guys on bikes tear up quarter pipes they had leaning against their trailers. During that time the animosity waned a lot, but we all still couldn't stand BMX track riders because the ones we knew were total assholes. I remember hiding in the woods at a local dirt track they trained at with friends and pegging the snobby bastards with my sling shot.

Early to mid 90's I saw alot more BMX Streetstyle guys coming out of the woodwork and raging ramp guys. Pegs were all over the place and everyone had Detanglers. This created a new problem which brought up new dislike for BMX riders. Steps, ledges, ramps, etc would get horrifically thrashed after a moderate BMX session. PVC Coping would snap a lot, metal coping looked like it had been hammered, chunks out of concrete, etc. So, pretty much it got to where you never allowed bike people around. Hell, we let fruitbooters on our half when we wouldn't let cooler guys with bikes session it.

If you had a bike then you could session my Qtr and Street Ramps, but you did not come near my halfpipe or mini. Your ass also better not be caught near our park. I had to patch so many ramps cause some dumbass bailed and pegged through a transition.

Over the years since thankfully pegs were redesigned countless times from the bigass hair curler ones to the uber old hexagonal solid sticks. Many of them now are smoother, have sleeves, roller designs, etc to help reduce the destructive factor. Nowadays I rarely hear much bad between skaters and bmx guys. Most just mutually dislike fruitbooters [::cough:: ROC ::cough::] and scooter kids these days, but even that is waning since those sports are dead anyways.

I personally have always been a fan of Flatland BMX and still love to watch it. Hell, I had a bike for a bit that I cheated on my skateboard with. As a teen I was sponsored a bit by a local Schwinn Shop on their skate team so I got a Diamondback and learned basic stuff like an Endo, Cherry Picker, Tail Whip, and G-Turns, but my board has and always will be my first love.

Even as a skater some of my prized possessions are a framed photo of Dave Mirra he autographed and an Expendable Youth VHS autographed by Dave Mirra and Ryan Nyquist for me when I worked on the Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX game series. Both are very cool guys.

Most animosity these days I'd say falls into the old school "LOCALS ONLY!" mentality for your favorite spots.
    Last edited by replicant; 05-05-2011 at 04:46 AM. Reason: speeling r guud
    Bear "replicant" Powell
    "I am Shaolin-Style!"

XBL: replicant#2618

Currently Playing: Diablo 2 Resurrected, Elden Ring, Skate 3

Banned

Here in Holland, there always is one fucker on a regular bicycle - occupying the pyramid.

Don't Worry, Be Happy
    XBL
    DonVigo

Quote Originally Posted by replicant View Post
    Even as a skater some of my prized possessions are a framed photo of Dave Mirra he autographed and an Expendable Youth VHS autographed by Dave Mirra and Ryan Nyquist for me when I worked on the Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX game series. Both are very cool guys.

Most animosity these days I'd say falls into the old school "LOCALS ONLY!" mentality for your favorite spots.
    A) My two best pieces of swag EVER are my autographed Steve Cabellero and Rick Thorne posters from Warped Tour 1999. Rick was the guy who, despite being in an hours long autograph sesh would actually take a minute, ask your name, use it a couple times asking YOU questions about yourself, and gave me an over-the-table bro-hug when I told him I was there to meet Cab, but he was my favortie BMX guy cause he owned the sketchy style, and I could NEVER do what he does.

B) In Washington State we're blessed with a lot of awesome concrete, so we're pretty open to the non-locals coming to our parks. We have a lot of pride in showing off.

And, for the record, we were all probably assholes at a skatepark once. You gotta talk to the kids without being a dick about it before you can really get too heated with them. I'd say I have a 75% success rate with walking up to the scoottards and nicely filling them in on what run ettiquite is and why they need to earn the bigger guys' respect. Worst comes to worst, confront their parents about the lack of manors. Again, could be where I'm from, but people are pretty apt to change if you extend kindness to them when someone else would just be a dick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krome View Post
    this dude. this dude disappears for months then pops up with 5 full length vids in the span of 2 weeks.

Blazing a Trail

Quote Originally Posted by replicant View Post
    when I worked on the Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX game series. Both are very cool guys.
    Thoes games are amazing.. What was your job when making them?