Thread: White Xbox Issues

XBL
    TheDietTea

Default White Xbox Issues

Kind've odd that they are black and white eh? (racists)
    anyway..
    Here's what I'm being faced with
    I have the white xbox as some of you know I've run into issues
    and thought they were resolved until recently
    it has been acting up a ton my guess is heat in my room
    but usually air my room out and then shut the door and it slowly gets hotter while the xbox is on
    but it still is telling me that it's too hot (turning off with two red lights after a few minutes of game time)
    there's virtually no dust inside and I know it because I have the casing off of it which seemed to help in the past
    But the most annoying part of it all.. once it overheats I turn it back on and try to jump back online so I can use the skate.reel servers and it won't connect to live after it overheats.. it's so weird right?
    I even turn the xbox off and back on after waiting a few minutes but until the xbox cools down I can't get back online..
    if anyone has any fixes or ideas it wouldn't be such a bad thing to read up on..
    let me know.

Steam
    fallingskyline
    PSN
    fallingskyline
    XBL
    fallingskyline

i think opening the housing and leave it that way is not a good option since the air-ventilation inside the housing isn't given any more, due to there's no housing. what you can do, go to a pc-shop and try to get a better fan and install it to your xbox, or just place a normal room fan in front of your xbox to do some passive cooling. do you have your xbox standing in a shelf or is it in an open spot, is it confronted with direct sunlight, etc. if so try placeing your xbox to another point in your room...
    you could also try to install a watercooling system, but i guess that would be as expensive as a new xbox (the small one) which has a better cooling system and rrod is practicly impossible

edit:
    on the connection error thing, it could be that your xbox suffers of a cold soldering joint which means once its hot the connection between the pcb and the component for the network is broken... while when cold connection is given
    Last edited by fallingskyline; 05-13-2011 at 04:12 AM.
    Skate Till Death (STD) / Doppelgänger Produktion (DP) / Small Town Crime (STC) / Dharma Inc. / Cap Faction ST

XBL
    TheDietTea

Yeah.. the xbox would be on less time than it is now with the casing on so it was an easy fix for a while..
    It's on a rack which has holes for the bottom not too close to the wall but not real far away
    was looking for a cheap if not free solution..
    I guess I'll find something to put the xbox on in the middle of the room near the door and my fan maybe that will help..
    if not looks like I'm making videos a trick a day.
    Just think it's funny that this started happening as Ohio gets a heat wave.. almost immediately thought that it is the cause.

Banned

Damn White Niggas

Fluckit Senior Citizen replicant's Avatar
    XBL
    replicant#2618

Room temperature can definitely play a part, but that's only part of the issue and usually only a factor if your room is staying above say 85f. Running it without the case will give you some help, but overall it's a very poor choice because your room isn't going to give proper airflow over the interior parts. On a couple friends old machines I have installed 120mm fans and such to the exterior forcing air in to really maximize the airflow. This I did only because they wanted it. To me it's not a good choice unless you mod the interior fans for the change in speed or match them which is fine. Fan speed needs to be relatively close or you in essence overclock the stock parts which kills the xbox. Plenty of vids on YT about adding USB PC fan Mods if you wanna go that route and it'll cost you maybe $20 in parts.

The addon intercoolers are pieces of shit and should be avoided at all cost.

A good friend of mine let me mod his interior dual fan and it hasn't given him an issue since.
    Here is a YT vid with the jist of it. Basically, you're unlocking a dumbass design flaw from MS.

The other tips are all about positioning and environment. Laying it down or standing it up makes no real difference, but I myself always keep it standing as it gives it the max amount of ventilation. Testing has shown though that it makes no real difference, so do it how you prefer. Never sit it on carpet, cardboard, etc as they don't disperse heat. A nice wooden surface is ideal and give it plenty of room to breath (I always suggest 6 inches around every exposed side). This is why entertainment cabinets and such are shit as they tend to provide poor ventilation. Mine is white and has sat on my tv stand (flat top wooden surface that my hdtv, x360, and dvr sit side by side on) for a couple years now and has had no issues. My room stays in mid-70's the majority of the time. I also dust my out casing with compressed air every couple weeks, but that is because this room gets dusty as fuck for some reason.

If you're gonna use a room fan, then keep it at least a foot away from it. They are a bandaid and tend to drag shit out of your air across your machine. Make sure it is facing away to create air drag across your machine.

My business is building/maintaining PC's, but over the years since PS1 I've done everything from modchip installs to case mods. I don't know everything, but I can usually help you figure out how to jury rig something if cash is an issue.
    Bear "replicant" Powell
    "I am Shaolin-Style!"

XBL: replicant#2618

Currently Playing: Diablo 2 Resurrected, Elden Ring, Skate 3

XBL
    emericaridr11

Easy answer:
    I put a Computer Case 12 volt fan on the back of my machine acting like a 2nd Exhaust Fan....

then I also have my xbox laying Horizontally, AND raised from the wood surface a little bit (to give it more ventilation) kind of like its floating

Resident Fruitbooter Roccityroller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by emericaridr11 View Post
    then I also have my xbox laying Horizontally,

This
    Hoodlum Threat
    Youtube
    Live Stream
    Twitter

I should have waited and got the newer xbox. The white one is loud as fuck.

XBL
    TheDietTea

Yeah well problems seem to be fixed... for now, right? haha
    Just put it out in the open on a table with a fan near it left the door open
    hasn't turned off..
    Yes the white one is loud.. like crazy loud.. and when it runs a game I'm literally scared haha like is it going to eat my disc.
    Simple solution.. usually is.. but thanks dudes.