Thread: L.A. Noire (a small review)

Steam
    fallingskyline
    PSN
    fallingskyline
    XBL
    fallingskyline

Default L.A. Noire (a small review)

Got my copy yesterday and i was blown away.

Presentation:
    the overall presentation of the city and the flair of the 50s is just stunning, eventhough the city seems not as living as liberty city in GTA IV but facing the fact that life during that time wasn't as hectic as in the time GTA plays it feels pretty adequat.
    Gameplay:
    for now it feels a bit repetitive, it always follows the same structure:
    briefing
    investigating the crime scene
    interview suspects
    drive to place a,b,c snoop around and ask people
    nail the suspect with evidence
    but it works like a charme, due to the fact, that all persons and places are individual it doesn't feel like doing the same over and over
    Graphics and Audio:
    it isn't a red dead redemtion even though it comes pretty close, there are some slowdowns and popups here and there, but that's marginal it looks good but not stunning. so much for the world, the real eyecandy are the faces and their animation, never seen something good as this before. remember the adds for the ps2 with emotion engine, now la noire shows what an emotion engine is!
    audio is nice, here again its the characters and their voices which are nothing but the best i've ever noticed.
    Story:
    didn't find a string yet, every case is its own story, but i guess they all stick togehter from clues you find on every crime scene but i don't know yet.
    Controlls:
    basic GTA/RDR like control-sceme which works, i haven't had a moment with a feeling the guy on the screen doesn't do what i want.

Conclusion:
    If you thought it would ne GTA in the 50s you'll be disappointed cause there is not a chance for a maniac killing spree through the city, also there's little action in it, it is more of a read the persons find the clues and such game. Open World Point and Click Adventure would be accurate. The game lives through its persons which are nothing than the best to be in a videogame.
    i've played it for 6 hours straight yesterday and it felt like five minutes, and that's nothing but a good feeling.
    score: 95%
    Skate Till Death (STD) / Doppelgänger Produktion (DP) / Small Town Crime (STC) / Dharma Inc. / Cap Faction ST

cool review, thanks man! im still undecided if im gonna get it or not...but probably i will. sounds like some nice entertainment for rainy weekends....

im wondering how long it roughly takes to solve one criminal case? and are there any side missions like in gta? and how big is the city?
    !!!

Steam
    fallingskyline
    PSN
    fallingskyline
    XBL
    fallingskyline

For now i can say, that the cases are solvable in 30-90 minutes, depending on how long you take to investigate the crime scences. but i wouldn't rush it, 'cause its pretty enjoyable to actually search for clues and such.

there are some side missions were you hunt down criminals either shooting them down, or giving them a good beating. also there's a lot to collect from hidden cars, famous places, newspapers to filmreels spread across town.

size of the town is huge i'd say at least as big as liberty city, i guess i've only seen like 5% of the town yet
    Skate Till Death (STD) / Doppelgänger Produktion (DP) / Small Town Crime (STC) / Dharma Inc. / Cap Faction ST

Fluckit Senior Citizen replicant's Avatar
    XBL
    replicant#2618

Curious, not sure if you've played it, but wondering if the city/world feel of it is like Mafia 2. Mafia 2 felt different than GTA IV with the old world charm and less population, but still felt good. Another great one was the very underrated "The Saboteur" which everyone should own now since it's like $20 or lower.
    Bear "replicant" Powell
    "I am Shaolin-Style!"

XBL: replicant#2618

Currently Playing: Diablo 2 Resurrected, Elden Ring, Skate 3

Steam
    fallingskyline
    PSN
    fallingskyline
    XBL
    fallingskyline

haven't played mafia2 and saboteur, but as i said the city feels like a calmed down 50s version of liberty city, which is a good thing since it feels really good

XBL
    replicant#2618

Quote Originally Posted by fallingskyline View Post
    haven't played mafia2 and saboteur, but as i said the city feels like a calmed down 50s version of liberty city, which is a good thing since it feels really good
    Groovy, I recommend checking out the other two then if you get a free moment and a game rental/borrow. The Saboteur I recommend buying since that company needs our support and the game simply rules. Think... You play as a pissed off irish race car driver in WWII France that had his career ruined by Nazi's so you joined the French Underground for payback. I can't make that shit up, but they did and it works.
    Bear "replicant" Powell
    "I am Shaolin-Style!"

Amateur Flucker

If you can free roam the city why can't you go on a rampage? Do they disable weapons or something?

I'm liking these new R* releases. RDR gave me such a different feeling during first gameplay that I haven't felt since GTA3 in 2001. GTA V should be insane.
    Scharkey

XBL
    replicant#2618

Quote Originally Posted by scharkey View Post
    If you can free roam the city why can't you go on a rampage? Do they disable weapons or something?

I'm liking these new R* releases. RDR gave me such a different feeling during first gameplay that I haven't felt since GTA3 in 2001. GTA V should be insane.
    Most fun in awhile free roaming I've had was picking up Prototype the other day. Such a blast just tearing people and crap up.
    Bear "replicant" Powell
    "I am Shaolin-Style!"

Appears that it's basically a combination of Mafia 2 and Heavy Rain. Because of that, I dont feel like its a 'must-play'.
    Im curious though as to how much player-choice there is, because Mafia 2 was very linear and this looks to be the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by heshfield View Post
    Appears that it's basically a combination of Mafia 2 and Heavy Rain. Because of that, I dont feel like its a 'must-play'.
    Im curious though as to how much player-choice there is, because Mafia 2 was very linear and this looks to be the same way.
    It's extremely linear in the sense that you will always follow the same case pattern and order every playthough (though there are optional street crimes to solve given to you through radio dispatch) and the base setting makes sure you always solve the crime. You can change those settings though.
    old psn: jest118
    new psn: jesthatesyou

La noire is very lineare but unlike mafia 2 noire's structure
    complements it's straight narrative. Mafia 2 felt like more like gta with someone holding your hand like it has all the elements but your not suppose to do that and it taunts you. La noire feels more like an adventure game like uncharted where the story helps the gameplay. Like there's a basic path you must take but it enhances the experience and emurses you. It's a really good game especially when you start figure out how to read people
    HEY OM YEAH HOODLUM[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Steam
    Boxerman08
    XBL
    Boxerman08

thanks a lot for this review. I've been debating whether or not to get it, but I've had friends telling me that "it's the best game ever" and what not, but just this doesn't convince people to buy a game (atleast not for me). But from this review, I feel like making the purchase. I've really really liked GTA, but the whole interviewing people and trying to find out if they lie or not and shit like that intrigues me for some reason... and also because it's similar to GTA lol

I've been trying to avoid this thread all day for fear of bad reviews and spoilers but i couldn't resist any longer!!

I bought the game at 9am today, worked all day with the game in my car... and on my mind! And I still can't play it till 11pm tonight when the wife gets home from work >.>

I'm not expecting the game to be at all like GTA, I am hoping for a story driven, detective "whodunnit" type game. If it had no free roam at all I don't think I'd be bothered. Can't wait to see the character graphics in action.... just hoping it doesnt freeze every 2 minutes like I've been reading

Quote Originally Posted by Shaydee UK View Post
    I've been trying to avoid this thread all day for fear of bad reviews and spoilers but i couldn't resist any longer!!

I bought the game at 9am today, worked all day with the game in my car... and on my mind! And I still can't play it till 11pm tonight when the wife gets home from work >.>

I'm not expecting the game to be at all like GTA, I am hoping for a story driven, detective "whodunnit" type game. If it had no free roam at all I don't think I'd be bothered. Can't wait to see the character graphics in action.... just hoping it doesnt freeze every 2 minutes like I've been reading
    It's kind of a crapshoot on the overheating. Mostly older "Fat" model PS3s.. but a few 360's have been reported as well. I haven't heard what type of 360's yet though. I will say, I have an original 60gb PS3 and have had no problems thus far.
    old psn: jest118
    new psn: jesthatesyou

Played it for a few hours last night and I am really impressed. It is an open world game but its heavily story driven. I'm not sure how much there is to do outside of the main storyline though. I know there are some side quests that you pick up (seemingly randomly) by way of radio communication in your car. Either way, the gameplay is great fun. The searching for clues, interviewing people, interogating suspects all work amazingly mainly due to the incredible facial expressions, and voice acting.

The game being so linear though I don't expect I will be going in for seconds any time soon after beating the game however I dont think I will trade it in either as the DLC will add some extra funs and I can see myself picking it up again in 6 months or so, when I have forgotten everything for a replay.

highly reccomended by me

Steam
    ipermy
    XBL
    iperm

ending loldisappointed me
    fucking dumb
    /mad

the game's really good though, blah blah
    i relly lik teh carz

I'm on the fence about the game and this review definitely helped skyline, of course the first thing that comes to someone's mind when rockstar is mentioned is grand theft auto and when I first heard about this game, I was hoping it would be some what of a 50's gta game, but shortly after, I realized they would be nothing alike.

With that aside, rockstar always seems to deliver when it comes to a quality game and I commend them for doing that while multiple companies fail in that department. Most games offer ridiculous promises that never hold up with the final product and it's a shame and a waste of time for both parties when that happens, while rockstar always takes a good couple of years for a single game and makes sure it is up to par for their expectations, along with making sure that us consumers fully enjoy it.

I thoroughly hope they will start working on GTA 5 soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiltzuh View Post
    I skate unrealistic in real life...i just learned ungrindables at my local park !
    Videos; www.youtube.com/derwreck