Banned

Default C.A.P. killed creativity.

Yes.

really?

elaborate...
    SUPPORT YOUR HOMIES...

care to elaborate?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiltzuh View Post
    I skate unrealistic in real life...i just learned ungrindables at my local park !
    Videos; www.youtube.com/derwreck

I think the insinuation is that CAP gave us the ability to make whatever spots we pleased.. so we're less apt to try to skate PC in more unique and creative ways. I'd argue that CAP in and of itself is it's own outlet for Creativity.
    old psn: jest118
    new psn: jesthatesyou

you're mad cause i'm stylin on you.

UG/Popless Pioneer pawnluvguitarist's Avatar

I agree and disagree. For me CAP got old for me building my own stuff and skating my own stuff. Since i could just build stuff around the specific trick i wanted or whatever. But skating all the CAP faction parks or SG's parks is a different story.

i think jerry bear is looking for the next engine exploit...

lets face it..
    we all can roam around and get tricks..
    but thats not what jerry bear wants and i agree...

took me 4 days to get a grind on the low rail that i was happy with...specifically because im going against what the engine wants to do..
    like wallies..
    like bonks...

me and jerr need a new "trick"...
    SUPPORT YOUR HOMIES...

UG/Popless Pioneer pawnluvguitarist's Avatar

I dunno, after going back to OG, I kinda view S3 in a different way. I pretty much only do stuff that can only be done in S3, be it CAP or different Flatground variations ect. All the engine breaking stuff is just so much smoother in OG, but S3 allows me to do more of my RL kinda stuff. Kinda off topic, but i dont think anything can kill your creativity, if you wanna get creative theres nothing stopping you

Blazing a Trail

The idea of create-a-park killing creativity seems really counter-intuitive to me. I have replicated several real life spots that I've seen in magazines, skate videos, etc. If anything CAP gives us more room for creativity because we don't get stuck skating the same spots over and over again. With CAP you can have an idea of a certain trick at a certain spot and if you have the talent you can turn that idea into a real tangible thing. If your point was that CAP allows people to keep doing the same "tricks" only on new objects then that is just kind of odd because the nature of skating involves people doing the same tricks on different spots...yeah there is innovative stuff that comes out every once in awhile with regard to tricks but a big part of skateboarding is taking a bag of tricks onto all different types of spots. That's just the reality of it. BUT even if a lot of people are getting stuck in the same sort of thing doesn't mean its killing creativity, just that people have developed certain styles that they like to use with regards to filming/trick/selection/editing. It doesn't mean that you have to follow that style though...you can always do things different than everyone else. CAP gives people more possibilities for innovation and that is a foundation for creativity so I disagree.

I see Pro's and Con's
    Hesitation.....Kills

Resident Fruitbooter Roccityroller's Avatar

Jerr Bear is right.

and i think i agree for different reasons. I see it as noone looks for spots anymore? they just go to a great CAP and spots are placed in front of them. It's easy. I mean look at it this way, this time in S2, we already had tons of spots in NSV named (handigap, darkness, etc). Freeskate sessions were more of "come check out this sweet spot i found" "I can't, i don't have a map".

But i CAP opens up the possibilities of what there is to skate, but it takes away from the search for something new to skate and trying to find creative ways to hit things.
    Hoodlum Threat
    Youtube
    Live Stream
    Twitter

Didn't Linny say this?
    It was either cap or movables

Anyway how could anyone read into a one word post

My guess is he was more interested in seeing if anyone bit to his social experiment
    If so he obviously guessed right
    ".........................................."
    Helen Adams Keller

Blazing a Trail

Yeah but to say that CAP takes away from "searching for spots" just doesn't make sense. You can search for spots all you want CAP doesn't hinder that in any way the original map is still there. It just adds the "what can be made" factor to the "what can be found" factor. Its an addition not a subtraction. When CAP was created it wasn't at the cost of anything. You foolish fools!!!

Resident Fruitbooter Roccityroller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FullyFl4RED00 View Post
    Yeah but to say that CAP takes away from "searching for spots" just doesn't make sense. You can search for spots all you want CAP doesn't hinder that in any way the original map is still there. It just adds the "what can be made" factor to the "what can be found" factor. Its an addition not a subtraction. When CAP was created it wasn't at the cost of anything. You foolish fools!!!
    Yea but what's easier? A) searching through PC for a new spot B) loading a Skate.Park
    Hoodlum Threat
    Youtube
    Live Stream
    Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Roccityroller View Post
    Jerr Bear is right.

and i think i agree for different reasons. I see it as noone looks for spots anymore? they just go to a great CAP and spots are placed in front of them. It's easy. I mean look at it this way, this time in S2, we already had tons of spots in NSV named (handigap, darkness, etc). Freeskate sessions were more of "come check out this sweet spot i found" "I can't, i don't have a map".

But i CAP opens up the possibilities of what there is to skate, but it takes away from the search for something new to skate and trying to find creative ways to hit things.
    Yeah i have to agree that...BUT not everyone. My passion in S3 is still trying to get on rooftops to see new stuff to skate...doesn't matter is it crappy roofgap or nice UG rail. It's all new...i'm always trying to get higher tops and higher...

BUT, creative is not just spots...maybe it killed manies creativity to film in Port Carverton. For me (and for many others), it gave chance to be even more creative. I wouldn't be playing S3 anymore without CAP. Creativity for me in S3 is creating new spots...not just that same flatbar over and over again. I was just testing my new park with Marco and we really figured out that theres always more and more different spots to create. Creativity is not just filming in Game map. In my opinion CAP gave more creativity into skate series. I'm not trying to shut down anyones opinion. Everyone has own opinion...i appreciate it.

Woah that took long to write that sh!t haha =D CAP <3

Blazing a Trail

I agree that it is harder to find a unique way to skate a hard to find/new spot than it is to just load a skate.park, but I'm talking about creativity and whether or not CAP has "killed" it. Are there not creative ways to skate CAPs? Are there not creative ways to make CAPs? Whats harder A) searching through PC for a new spot...or C) having an idea for a new spot, making it (making it well of course), and then finding a unique way to skate that? Yes...CAP has made it so some people stop looking for new spots in PC, but you don't have to stop looking because PC is still there waiting to be thrashed in new ways. What CAP has done is expand the possibilities of what we have to play with. Creativity=create.a.park+PC.

Blazing a Trail SeksulChokolate's Avatar
    PSN
    Weird_JamJar
    XBL
    SeksulChokolate

I feel as though, to me, the best way to approach this game is to skate the world that has been laid in front of one's self. As others stated, there is nothing better then skating a spot that has been hit before and finding a whole new approach to it. The reason why this game can operate on so many different skill levels/styles is spot selection. A plaza can be viewed in one light, but then completely altered by skating it from the other way.

As much as I appreciate the exceedingly thorough CAP's, I receive more of a satisfaction when finding a spot in SV/NSV/PC than hitting a perfectly made stairset...

Every city in the world is quirky and to a point a little difficult to skate. The worlds in the skate franchise do a nice job replicating that imperfection.

rooftops...
    Hoodlum: Threat

Quote Originally Posted by FullyFl4RED00 View Post
    I agree that it is harder to find a unique way to skate a hard to find/new spot than it is to just load a skate.park, but I'm talking about creativity and whether or not CAP has "killed" it. Are there not creative ways to skate CAPs? Are there not creative ways to make CAPs? Whats harder A) searching through PC for a new spot...or C) having an idea for a new spot, making it (making it well of course), and then finding a unique way to skate that? Yes...CAP has made it so some people stop looking for new spots in PC, but you don't have to stop looking because PC is still there waiting to be thrashed in new ways. What CAP has done is expand the possibilities of what we have to play with. Creativity=create.a.park+PC.
    Yes...and CAP has also gave us possibilities to skate stuff that it's not possible to find in PC...how many polejams you find from PC...or ungrindable handrails ?
    Personally i'm fallen in love to create Wallies because a) RL skating b) Because of CAP's.

I have also found out that i've found new stuff to skate in PC because of CAP. I have liked some obstacle in some CAP...i have never liked to film CAPs for Solo's or FL parts...so i have tried to find similar spot or obstacle from game map. I have many spots AND TRICKS that i have found out that way

I'm still saying that CAP didn't killed creative all it's ways...it opened new ways to be creative...and new ways to find creativity. Just IMO

Almost unlimited layers killed creativity in the gc
    Helen Adams Keller

Quote Originally Posted by thesignguy View Post
    Almost unlimited layers killed creativity in the gc
    yes
    Helen Adams Keller

XBL
    emericaridr11

so yall dont want us to upload caps anymore..... make you find spots....... haha JK

Jerr...... do CAPs make you skate the way They wanted it to be skated...... OH BUMMER DUDE!

Blazing a Trail SeksulChokolate's Avatar
    PSN
    Weird_JamJar
    XBL
    SeksulChokolate

Quote Originally Posted by emericaridr11 View Post
    so yall dont want us to upload caps anymore.....
    hell no...keep em comin'
    Hoodlum: Threat

Steam
    i_am_a_snail

cap hasn't killed creativity, just given it a different output.

however its pretty much made pc obsolete and this makes me sad since i still find plenty of stuff to do there anyway.

XBL
    killer kow20

I agree in a way. its fun to skate CAPs but if im making a solo or any video i refuse to use clips from a CAP because there is so much that can still be done in PC. you got to find new ways to skate old spots and you may not think there is but there is stuff to find you just have to cruise around the city and it will catch your eye believe me.

well if you feel it killed your creativity then don't skate them...and look for spots in PC.

I build caps constantly but I also climb roofs and buildings to find new ways to skate things,you can't complain because cap creators made it easier for you to have spots if you wanna be creative go do it! No ones MAKING you skate C.A.P.s. But you saying CAPS killed the creativity is like a mega ramp kid saying realistic skaters killed the fun. The games all in how YOU play it.

I think the "hunt" for spots in the previous two games was a factor that kept many people playing and putting out great videos towards the end of each game's run. On the same note, the CAP feature filled that role in Skate 3 for some people. In my personal opinion, I feel more satisfied when I find a nice spot within the real city, but that's just me. One can still try this in Skate 3, but I think many people see the CAP feature as the "easy way" out. There have been many great CAPs, but I feel like they caused many people to give up on Port Carverton. A year after the Og and Skate 2 were out respectively, people were still finding lots of new spots within each game's cities. This was partially because that was ALL we had. The CAP was a nice addition though (it gives me a reason to get on s3 from time to time).
    So I guess I agree and disagree lmao.
    youtube.com/tacoman1337

I don't agree with Jerrel.

With CAP you can take a break from PC. Skate 3 would have died last august without it.

edit: CAP is a part of being creative with this game (in a different way), BUT it killed the spot searching. Truth.
    Last edited by MarcoPoloUSN; 06-16-2011 at 10:47 PM.

It's not that CAP killed it, It's more work to go look for stuff especially with the seperated cities, you don't just skate around aimlessly because you'll be doing one big circle. DLC has some fun random shit though. Like I said if you REALLY want to skate PC you'll do it but we all agree that its a shit city compared to SV And NSV.

Yes it is a shit city. However you can find many ways to skate little parts of it. I can't do that personally. I personally can't skate PC for more than 20 minutes without getting bored. CAP makes me not want to spot search. Maybe in the next 6 months there will be no such thing as spots in PC. CAP covers that.

Blazing a Trail

No......

This is created spots and its creative

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9xu36chROE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmMNK515qls

The ender trick I did in my last solo is creative and so is a lot of other peoples CAP spots. I see what your saying jerr bear and yeah PC sucks, but CAP is creative imo
    Last edited by EternalRewind; 06-17-2011 at 12:56 AM.

Blazing a Trail

I agree and thats partly why i dont like CAP
    Skateboarding doesnt seem to be about building your spot imo... its about finding a spot and interesting ways to hit it...everyone can hit a rail or a stairset in this game... its weak to do it imo... people keep on doing it though over and over
    Since the beginning skateboarding has always been about finding and adapting to spots (see how empty pools made bowl riding), finding the trick (+filming) that goes perfectly with the spot ...
    adapting the environment to your fake skating can be considered as laziness
    thats why i loved filming for PTC ... go to "insert location" and film... Constraint makes you be creative and think different
    And i m way more excited by a creative way to hit a spot rather than a never been done trick on a stair set / ledge.
    You can be a "creative" park builder with CAP, it doesnt mean you ll be a creative skater.

as always nothing is black or white... there are multiple shades... and i m still excited when i watch tno cap videos because the dude got the perfect mindset imo...same for manolo.
    I just watched a very good documentary about skateboarding in europe (with some comparison with US skateboarding)... Mainly because of the specific architecture here, european skateboarders are kinda more about adapting to the environment and finding weird ways to hit spots. America is made of skateboarding spots, concrete and shit, and its more about bangers down those spots.
    At the same time, there are exceptions... guys like Pontus alv...he s all about redefining the urban environment / architecture. And see Richie Jackson hes all about the weirdest ways to hit spots...
    Last edited by Slamooh; 06-17-2011 at 04:36 AM.

Blazing a Trail

No one disagrees that apart of skating is finding spots but saying making spots to skate in s3 or real life isnt as creative is like saying f u your skating sucks..And Im sure thats how you fell about it because your saying theres no creativity in it..

Not trying to be a dick but some of you dont even skate in real life... And your tellin me what skateboarding is and whats creative...

video killed the radio star

/thread

Blazing a Trail

But what is creativity ?
    i think everyone got his own definition. And nobody can say "my creativity is better than yours"...
    eternal, i sometimes have trouble to express my feelings as english is not my native language... as a result it can be slightly different from what i really have in mind. What i mean is : i m more sensitive about spots and ways to hit spots rather than tricks. but everyone is free to feel different. theres no judgement.

how many daewon song / rodney mullen in the scene ? Those guys would make lie anyone talking about creativity. They are aliens
    Last edited by Slamooh; 06-17-2011 at 04:44 AM.

Blazing a Trail

Its cool Slamooh.. Its kind of offending saying CAP isnt creative...

And instead of editing your post/ adding to the end after you read my last post, it would be nice if you keep it after my last post

Blazing a Trail

sorry i wanted to change some sentences because it seemed it wasn't well explained and kinda offensive for no reason. my bad
    skateboarding is kinda like art (well i would say it is art) so subjectivity is full on.
    and i don't mean CAP isn't creative. I'm just not "feeling" it... it doesn't mean people building CAP are wasting their time and i'm not saying there's no creativity involved in it. Its just i dont see many CAP that make me go "damn, this is clever, well thought or challenging for skateboarding", many CAP are standard skateparks despite this tool's endless possibilities.
    Last edited by Slamooh; 06-17-2011 at 04:53 AM.

Banned

Slammy basically summed it up for me hah, thanks for that - I find it hard to explain how I feel about this.

About Song and Mullen, I feel that their ability and skill made the 'spots' they created so... amazing.

For instance the picnic table train;

The thing that made the clip so special is that Mullen was able to pull that manny off, not that he was able to align the tables like that. They're so exceptional they can adapt the environment to them and make the clip completely refreshing.

But the thing is, Skate 3 is a video-game. The actual tricks you do barely have value (to me, how difficult they may be), it's the mindset that makes the clip.

Maybe it's just that;

-When you're in CAP-mode, you know you can land tricks down the spots you made.
    -You can adjust anything with ease
    -When you align picnic tables like mullen did IRL, you've only done 10% of the job while in Skate 3 it seems to be 90%.

That's why I find it way more creative to see what an individual can do at locations that are open for everyone.

About what Linny said about the movables in Skate 2, I think it's all a matter of the way you use it. As far as I know they helped me reach certain spots and height to do certain tricks, speaking of which, so did Linny:

Skip to 3:13

In this clip Linny hid a dumpster so he could trick over the hedge, basically deceiving the viewers.
    Last edited by jerr bear; 06-17-2011 at 04:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slamooh View Post
    I agree and thats partly why i dont like CAP
    Skateboarding doesnt seem to be about building your spot imo... its about finding a spot and interesting ways to hit it...everyone can hit a rail or a stairset in this game... its weak to do it imo... people keep on doing it though over and over
    Since the beginning skateboarding has always been about finding and adapting to spots (see how empty pools made bowl riding), finding the trick (+filming) that goes perfectly with the spot ...
    adapting the environment to your fake skating can be considered as laziness
    I don't agree with this, depending on which era of skateboarding you came from. After they found pools what came next? Building the perfect transition to achieve what they wanted. Before h-street there was a entire decade of 100% created vert and mini ramps. I really don't understand anyone's logic to say CAP is "lazy" or "not creative" it's what the person does on any spot, created by them, an architect, a game developer, or some dude that made a CAP that makes something creative plain n simple
    Helen Adams Keller

I agree with the french bloke.

I can see why people like CAP, simply because it gives them new things to skate. For me personally it's not that interesting. When I watch a PC video I can relate to the spots and the difficulty/creativity.
    When I watch a CAP video I have no idea about the spots. Yes, that rail may be a bitch to hit, but I don't know that and I'll probably never find out. I still watch the videos and I enjoy the CAPs and the skating, but it's no comparison to a PC video.
    And the horrible framerate of CAPs only adds up to that.