Thread: The "Proper" way to play Skate...

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default The "Proper" way to play Skate...

This is just something I had been thinking about for a while, mainly since after OG Skate ran it's course and especially when Skate 2 dropped. I'm not going to pretend to be "down" with skateboard culture or know everything about it. I'm well-versed in a variety of things, well-rounded, and in most ways I'm a chameleon, able to blend in wherever typically. But I don't ride in real-life. Never have. I always had a mild interest in skateboarding, but nothing came of it. Had a sudden urge to learn once and one of my friends let me borrow his board 3 months ago and it's been in my closet ever since.

Ok long story short, I've came to the conclusion that Skate series, especially what Skate 2 and 3 has become, is a "film-maker's game". I say this because that's mostly what I see when you hear about the hardcore community. And rightfully so. And with Skate 3, it's kind of a matter of you either film, or you build parks. If you don't do either, it's like ehhhhh. And I.....don't.

No shame in me actually admitting that I enjoy some of the more outrageous mechanics and creativity. The good thing about this series is that it's pretty much a game for everyone. But I have kinda gotten the vibe that around the community that if you're more into tranny, competing, and the over the top antics, then it's looked down on a bit. More in favor of the realistic skating. "Fakeskating". Creating realistic lines, filming them, and maybe creating realistic parks and venues. That's all good. It's mad cool.

I guess you could say my question is, am I missing the whole point? That is, if i'm not fakeskating realistically and filming? Am I not "doing it right"? Haha it's a stupid question when I think about it but I imagine a few of the existing and respected players had to be exposed to this "trend/world" themselves before converting and getting the hang of it or whatever. I still fancy the arcadey shit and wilding out. And I have a few peeps on my friendslist, but most are busy building parks and filming. And when I do squad up with some of them, we freeskate. When I ask if they want to do a vs or something it's "Meh, I prefer to just ride". And no tranny/vert action whatsoever. Just straight street. Like I said, I can dig it. But was just wondering if I was missing out on something.

Also, I do plan on getting into filming and maybe building a few venues. I just haven't got up on it because these days I only have time to play games in spurts. It'll take me a while to accumulate a collection of clips, edit them, and compile them into something sick and visually pleasing. That's another thing...the collections i've came across are mad nice, but a lot are overally....ordinary. And I guess that's the point. Hitting realistic lines with nice editing. And the creativity excels here. It's just that the shock value may go unfelt except to the people within this realm. The other "fakeskaters". And so I end up seeing a lot of the stuff that I raw out on my sessions and never save/film. I'm here thinking I should only capture stuff when I'm flipkicking over cars or shredding a staircase or christ air'ing a gap. And I can already see a bunch of you cringing while reading this lolol. But I just want some peeps to elaborate if you feel what I'm saying. Because I do want the whole Skate experience, eventually. But I know that I've been guilty of trying to "Tony Hawk" the shit out of these games for years. I'm a horrible person and I'm admitting that you all tonight...
    Last edited by FlyMike; 08-15-2011 at 10:00 PM.
    Pimp hand, give me strength...