Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone got Flickr?

Steam
    Boxerman08
    XBL
    Boxerman08

Default Anyone got Flickr?

I finally purchased my camera yesterday, and I've been messing around with it, shooting on Manual as much as I can. Here's what I got so far if anyone's interested (lol): boxerman's flickr.

I'm new to this photography business, so I can only get better over the next months/years. Feedback is always appreciated, and tips are more than welcome as well.

If anyone is into photography and has a flickr or tumblr or any site of the sort, feel free to share! I'd love to see other people's stuff.

Fluckit Master

Thinking on getting a Olympus E-PL2, Canon EOS 600D or maybe Panasonic DMC-GF2 in a couple of month's once I've saved up some money, or maybe none of them.. haven't really made up my mind about it yet.
    I haven't owned a camera since I was a kid, but starting to really get interested in photography.

I'll favourite your page for now, and let ya know when I have one up and ready when I have my camera.

Nice quality of your photos. Which camera do you use atm?

Edit: Just noticed that you have the Canon EOS 550D.
    Working out good for you so far?
    Last edited by Seanne1986; 09-16-2011 at 05:40 PM.

Steam
    Boxerman08
    XBL
    Boxerman08

To be honest, I have no idea if the camera's you've mentioned are good since I'm new to photography, but I'm guessing they are. I've always loved Canon camera's though, so that's why I chose the Rebel t2i (or 550D). Since I got it, I've been using it a lot, trying to learn how to properly shoot photos on manual settings (setting the ISO, f-stop, shutter speed, etc.). Imo, it's a little hard at first (unless you already know all the basics lol), but it's so much fun to experiment with.

But just an advice I can maybe tell you (if you're considering the 600D). When I went to buy my camera, I was initially going for the 600D. There's something like a 200$ difference in price, and apparently, from what the people told me at the Camera store, said that there is virtually no difference between the 550D and the 600D, except a pivoting screen. A friend of mine, who has a degree in professional photography, told me to get the 550D, and get a better starting lens, since the kit lens isn't very good. If the pivoting screen is a necessity for you, then get the 600D, but if it doesn't matter for you, get the 550D and use the spare money you would've used for the 600D for a better starting lens. So now, my current set-up is a Canon 550D with a Tamron 17mm-50mm. To give you an idea of the price, the 550D body was 649.99$ + tax and the lens was 449.99$ + tax.

Once you get your camera and a flickr or wtv, let me know man! I'd love to see them.

You can see some of my photography here
    All of it is quite old but I'm still proud of the majority of it
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayfighter
    this was florescent beige , so good it makes no sense
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevland
    abba is not as cool as nazis but it's fucking close

Fluckit Master

Some good pointers there Boxer!
    Sounds like you got a pretty good deal for your camera.

I'm not gonna pay less than 750$ for the body ( It's a bit more expensive in Sweden =/ ) then like you said, spend the rest on a better lens.
    If you're interested in the cameras I mentioned, there's this guy Kai Wong that does some very good and interesting camera reviews. http://www.youtube.com/user/DigitalR.../1/4mWnEd7qITQ

But yeah, we'll see which camera I will get. And I'll comment here once I have some photos up.

Btw do you get any cool filters and such with your camera?

Knex. Love your black and white photo with the child in the middle. Good work.
    Last edited by Seanne1986; 09-19-2011 at 03:19 PM.

Steam
    Boxerman08
    XBL
    Boxerman08

wow Knex, those photos are really sick, I only saw a few, but from what I've seen, they're really sick.

I'll defs look into those reviews man, they're always good when you're not sure of certain things. Let me know when you got everything and have put up pictures! What do you mean by filters?

Fluckit Master

I mean does your camera have any effects. like fake tilt-shift etc?

not much on here...completely forgot i had the damn thing really
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/25220462@N08/

oly-e330 camera of choice (cant beat the tilting preview screen)

Fluckit Master

Think I might get the Nikon D3100 actually. We'll see if I can get one next paycheck.

Steam
    Boxerman08
    XBL
    Boxerman08

to be honest, I'm not even sure what a tilt-shift effect is hahaha I'm such a noob... but my camera pretty much just came as it was. I bought the 550D body with a tamron lens, no extras lol

obsolete, these pictures are sick man, really really like the "Spanky's Nightshot" picture.

Fluckit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Boxerman08 View Post
    to be honest, I'm not even sure what a tilt-shift effect is hahaha I'm such a noob... but my camera pretty much just came as it was. I bought the 550D body with a tamron lens, no extras lol

obsolete, these pictures are sick man, really really like the "Spanky's Nightshot" picture.
    Hehe. Tilt-shift is an effect that blurs out the top and the bottom of the picture, focusing only in the middle. So if you take picture of some people/buildings whatever while being far away from them, they'll look like miniatures/toys. I just made up my mind about getting the Nikon D3100 with the lens that comes with it. Looks like a good beginners kit since the D3100 is a really good choice for amateurs.

Might save up for some other lens later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_k2NlHODA4 Tilt-shift effect.
    Another video where you really can see the miniature illusion http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywAJL8sKYvk
    Last edited by Seanne1986; 09-19-2011 at 03:19 PM.

Steam
    Boxerman08
    XBL
    Boxerman08

damn haha didn't know about tilt-shift effects but they seem fun. and good shit that you finally found the camera you want man, hope you get it soon!

Tomorrow I'll be editing photos during class at school lol I went with a couple buddies and I took around 500 pictures haha I'll let you guys know when they'll be up!

Resident Fruitbooter Roccityroller's Avatar

www.dgrin.com

that's where i learned everything i know.

Knex knows what's up when it come to photog.

any effect described as "fake" is prolly not that good.

Play, experiment, shoot. Best way to learn.

I have some work out there but not on flickr. mostly just my own use, maybe i'll post some tomorrow.

edit: I'm a nikon man, but the T2i is a GREAT beginner cam. good choice. i need a new body soon. trying to decide if i want to go full frame or not.
    Hoodlum Threat
    Youtube
    Live Stream
    Twitter

Steam
    Boxerman08
    XBL
    Boxerman08

damn thanks a shitload for that site Roc! I'll definitely use it until I go to school next year for professional photography, but in the meantime, I'll get to know the basics so thats really sick. And that's what I heard about the t2i too, not too expensive, really good especially for a beginner cam, so it was a done deal for me. I'm definitely not hating anything about it yet, as I shot 1000+ photos in 4 days haha

Fluckit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Roccityroller View Post
    any effect described as "fake" is prolly not that good.
    So true. But they are fun to play around with!

Best way to play with effects is ofc with propper lenses or in photoshop ofc.

And thanks for that site Roc!

i can help with a lot of stuff too. And knex can prolly fill in my gaps in knowledge. So if you got questions, just ask. But remember i have ADD so either make the question short or break it up into lines.

i.e. i only read about 25% of the posts in this thread.
    Hoodlum Threat
    Youtube
    Live Stream
    Twitter

Fluckit Master

I don't have a flickr page atm yet I've been getting into photography for the last year and a half.
    Here are some of my shots.

Portrait of myself

-----------------------------------------------------------

And my latest, taken at the local part with my soon to be my own camera (D60)

The camera body is being repaired at the moment, I'm getting it on thursday, I hope it turns out well.

Fluckit Master

Good to know Roc. Will take about 2 month's give or take until I have my camera. Will surely ask some questions about photo's later.

Are you familiar with lenses as well or just photography? I'm wondering because the camera I will be getting includes the Nikon Nikkor AF-S DX 18-55/3,5-5,6G VR lense, and I guess it's a good starting lens.

But I wanna eventually do some macro and/or long distance shooting as soon as possible. So which lenses would be good for that?

Really have no clue which lenses that are good for those purposes for a Nikon D3100.

Nice photos Agus!
    Really liked both the forrest photos.
    Last edited by Seanne1986; 09-19-2011 at 03:22 PM.

Fluckit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Seanne1986 View Post
    Good to know Roc. Will take about 2 month's give or take until I have my camera. Will surely ask some questions about photo's later.

Are you familiar with lenses as well or just photography? I'm wondering because the camera I will be getting includes the Nikon Nikkor AF-S DX 18-55/3,5-5,6G VR lense, and I guess it's a good starting lens.

But I wanna eventually do some macro and/or long distance shooting as soon as possible. So which lenses would be good for that?

Really have no clue which lenses that are good for those purposes for a Nikon D3100.

Nice photos Agus!
    Really liked both the forrest photos.
    Thanks man!

Also, all the pics (besides the last one) were taken with the family camera, a D3100.

I have the kit VR 18-55 in both cameras, plus a Sigma 70-300 f4-5.6 APO D I use for macro and teles.
    Mine is broken (AF doesn't work at all), but I could manage to take some good pics with it, I don't know what you're looking for, but as photography novice, I can say that Sigma 70-300 is one nice piece of glass.
    Here are some pics taken with it.

this dog was pretty far from where I was standing. It was too windy up in the mountain so despite my manual focus skills

tryin some bokeh with that fern piece

Fluckit Master

Good advice mate. Guess I'm gonna have to look at it up close at the store, and ofc do some research on some other lenses as well.

Steam
    Boxerman08
    XBL
    Boxerman08

yeah Sigma makes some really good lenses for decent prices. And sounds good Roc, I'll ask questions eventually if I have any, or I can just look up on that site you gave lol

Btw, I posted a couple of skate pictures from this weekend. Take a look at my flickr.

Edit: Here's my fav shot of the weekend. There's more on my flickr though, so take a look at the other ones and let me know what you guys think:

10 by jboxerman, on Flickr
    Last edited by Boxerman08; 09-19-2011 at 07:54 PM.

Fluckit Master

Really nice colors man. Can't wait to start shooting some skateboarding action you know... I ride bmx and I'm loving it but skateboarding is on a whole other level, composition-wise and all that.

Fluckit Master

Good stuff Boxer

nice pics guys

i have a flickr account too, but raaarely use it. lately all my creative efforts go to instagram. search er1end and follow me

Steam
    Boxerman08
    XBL
    Boxerman08

thanks guys, and if I had an iPhone, I would defs follow your stuff haha so many people put out sick stuff using instagram

edit: I've posted 2 new skate sequences on my flickr, check them out!
    Last edited by Boxerman08; 09-20-2011 at 08:03 AM.

all i ask is that, if you're new to photography, read up on composition and the rule of thirds. I see too many people with nice cams that take terrible pictures because they don't know how to compose a photo

Photos != Pictures
    Photos > Pictures
    Hoodlum Threat
    Youtube
    Live Stream
    Twitter

Steam
    Boxerman08
    XBL
    Boxerman08

I'll have to look up on composition, but I know about the rule of thirds, or at least I know it now lol I know a couple of people that have been into photog and they told me that I use the rule of third in a lot of my pictures, and I had no idea what it was until they explained lol but I'll look into composition though. Thanks for the tips Roc

You'd be amazed at how much the rule of thirds can make your pictures look 10 times better.

go out, take a picture, any random picture

take same picture again but pay attn to lining things up with the ROT.

???

Profit.
    Hoodlum Threat
    Youtube
    Live Stream
    Twitter

Fluckit Master

That was a really helpful tip man. Will take that into account when I've bought my camera.

Got any other tips for a beginner?

learn the effects of shutter, aperature, and iso.

dgrin will help.
    Hoodlum Threat
    Youtube
    Live Stream
    Twitter

Fluckit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Seanne1986 View Post
    That was a really helpful tip man. Will take that into account when I've bought my camera.

Got any other tips for a beginner?

The first thing to look up when buying a camera is the manual.
    Read every line of the camera's manual, it helps way more than you think. Atleast it helped me alot when I got mine.

Steam
    Boxerman08
    XBL
    Boxerman08

Quote Originally Posted by agusbmxarg View Post
    The first thing to look up when buying a camera is the manual.
    Read every line of the camera's manual, it helps way more than you think. Atleast it helped me alot when I got mine.
    Yeah I started reading it recently, learned a bunch of shit about ISO and a couple more stuff. I have to finish reading it, eventually lol First time I've read a manual from something I buy

i never read the manual, don't think i ever even opened it.

Got a new wide angle converter today in the mail. $30 for a .43x, so far i love it. it renders the stock flash useless, however, and my buddy is borrowing my SB-600 atm.

Here's a couple extended exposure shots i did today to try it out. My tripod is falling apart and it shows. but still, best $30 i've spent on this. Next is a nice, fast prime lens.

Hoodlum Threat
    Youtube
    Live Stream
    Twitter

Steam
    Boxerman08
    XBL
    Boxerman08

sick stuff mang. I'll probably shoot some photos tomorrow. I don't work after school tomorrow, so I'll stay downtown and shoot random stuff lol

I spoke to a women at work today, spent like 30+ minutes talking about photography and she gave me a site I have to look into that sells some really good lenses for dirt cheap. I can't remember what it is right now, but when I find it I'll let you guys know...

Steam
    Boxerman08
    XBL
    Boxerman08

Just tested out filming with the Rebel t2i... nothing fancy... I realize my board is too new lol I haven't had a board look like this since back when I first skated. I can't find the time these days to skate, besides just rolling around to and from work and school. I need to get back into skating rails and shit...

Steam
    Boxerman08
    XBL
    Boxerman08

Just felt like sharing; I got a couple of new photos I've taken over the past few days/weeks... would be sick to know if I'm improving and what not. Take a peek http://www.flickr.com/photos/66499280@N03/

Bought a new lens finally. Got myself a prime (no zoom) lens. Went with the Nikkor 35mm f/1.8. It is yummy.

Hoodlum Threat
    Youtube
    Live Stream
    Twitter

Steam
    Boxerman08
    XBL
    Boxerman08

those are dope Roc, that lens seems pretty sick too

SOOOO much faster than the kit lens.
    Hoodlum Threat
    Youtube
    Live Stream
    Twitter

Steam
    Boxerman08
    XBL
    Boxerman08

haha no doubt. how expensive (or not) was it?