Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tony Hawks Proving Ground!

Blazing a Trail

Default Tony Hawks Proving Ground!

So I decided to pick up a used copy of this game for 12 bucks at game stop, I already knew what to expect being a thps player up until Project 8...I expected to be pressing the fuck out of the break button to reduce speed and have very minimal realistic spots to skate mixed in with endless arcade lines, well in Proving ground its not really like that, in fact its almost like a different skating game out side the thps realm...

Why is THPG so good and imo better then Thrasher S&D but still not as good as EA Skate? First off there is a "Sim mode" that reduces trick height and reduces skater speed when rolling and even the grinding is at a realistic speed now! This is a huge improvement and works well.. Next is the large city that is very realistic this time, better then Port Carverton imo.. Im not going to record my tv but heres a decent vid that shows some spots http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V12nd...eature=related... The vids on youtube dont do the city justice because the the players playing are avoiding the spots and flying by everything doing arcade stuff.

Another thing thats really cool is that when you can turn off the grind/manual balance meter and balance by looking at the skaters position, this is a joy to do unlike in Ea skate were there is no balance system..

The game still isnt as good as EA skate but if you're looking for something new then pick this up.. If you're a kid that didnt grow up playing skating games other then Ea skate or are a animation snob then you you might not like thpg

Stopped Pushing Mongo

I loved THPG as much as I loved EA Skate.
    The only downside with THPG is that there is no replay value. You do all the goals then you're done.

Blazing a Trail

no replay value?? fuck goals, its about realisticly skating the spots

I have this game too, played it forever until I got Skate 2.

I've always been tempted to try an make a video using my PVR and the replay editor. Don't know if i could play the game long enough though to get enough clips for a video. If anyone has THPG and a Cap card I'd ben down to make a video, even if its only for shits n giggles.

Don't forget the park editor on there, it was pretty sweet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiltzuh View Post
    I skate unrealistic in real life...i just learned ungrindables at my local park !
    Videos; www.youtube.com/derwreck

Blazing a Trail

also double grinds are legit..bs crook to over crook, noseslide to nose grind, nose blunt to nose grind, smith to feeble etc...No more popping half a foot into the next grind and calling it a dub g

PSN
    bengrover
    XBL
    bengrove

I think I still have this somewhere in my collection. At first I thought it was great because it felt so different from mashing the square and triangle. But I tried playing it a few weeks back. Hated it. Everything was over exagerated and over dramatised. Every kickflip was 10 feet high. I think when I first played it it felt different so I had an idea of realism stuck in my head which led to dissapointment. It all felt so ugly.

Whats this sim mode thing?

Blazing a Trail

Quote Originally Posted by bengrover View Post
    Every kickflip was 10 feet high.

Whats this sim mode thing?
    you obviously didnt activate "Sim Mode".. You cant even do flat land 3 flips in sim mode let alone 10 feet high kfs

Blazing a Trail

I swear if i had a cap card and made a vid, people would be all over this game wanting to play it for the sake of playing and not to make montages

Eternal I know how you feel. I played TH "religiously" like I play skate. Always have had that same realistic mentality while playing a skate game while cruising. But when Skate came out, it was extremely refreshing after almost a decade of THPS and the same buttons. No control scheme can top the Flickit System. It was more than refreshing. Seemed Perfect at the time, and still does...even with the glitchyness of S3 and HCmode.

Blazing a Trail

Saunders my man you're preaching to the choir...Me being the choir...I agree S1 - s3 is as good as it gets and when s1 came out I swore off all thps games...But theres nothing wrong with playing other skating games and lets face it Skate having no balance system for grinds and manuals can get boring....Hell I still play Thrasher S&D and even have another video come out for it...The first volume got 12,000 views, not to bad..

Skate 1 - 3
    Proving Ground
    Thrasher S&D

Best skating games so far!

I remember the ability you got where you could bodycheck people, I spent so many days kicking ass and not even skating. that game was so much fun.
    EzPzLemnSqueezy http://www.youtube.com/user/EzPzLemnSqueezy Fuck

Jack: I watched this, and now I'm officially retarded. Even as tipe these, I can fell my brian sloery grating numb. gnow, wheen eyee ophen my mouf is begin to drewl tiem. Tanks for you to my for is different.

ef aye wash tis gain ten I no tinker moar. then sreepy teim 4evrr.

I love the fact That it has a pretty Legit Love Park
    GT-J0RD4N KR3W/FS Bigspins

GC Accounts-J0RD4N KR3W, L4KR, MF DRAWLS, FS Bigspins
    MF JORDAN,Justin Eldridge and now Vincent Alvarez .

MORPHINE NATION

XBL
    emericaridr11

(sorry had to share, saw it a few under the video there)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_qJF...eature=related

Blazing a Trail

^^ to bad thats not actual game play

XBL
    emericaridr11

Quote Originally Posted by EternalRewind View Post
    ^^ to bad thats not actual game play
    I know....... I would buy Project8 if it looked like that, but that animation is Pefect

PSN
    bengrover
    XBL
    bengrove

If any game ever looked like this, never mind the control's, I would for sure buy it. Here's the full vid of what E posted.

It's not even Proving Ground, it's Project 8, so the game before it. I remember first watching and thinking, wow the next TH will be great! But when I realised it was for the game I was playing, it was nothing like the actual game.

Can't believe I've had this game since release and never heard of or found this 'Sim Mode'. Gonna have to give it a try.

tht animation is amazing! Wud love to see if it could be done in the next skate game (which isn't gonna happen) I think I could be done jst have to do alot of motion capture stuff!
    FREE RUSHIIE
    ( C.A.P has Fixed Creativity ) Teams| PANDORA/MORPHINE NATION /LABEL/DHARMA|

How to you get Sim Mode? I have P8 and PG. I am assuming it's a difficulty.

Edit: One other thing I love about Tony Hawk's is that you can change the color of everything.
    Last edited by Mage505; 10-01-2011 at 04:49 AM.

Fluckit Master

What Matty said. Imagine "S4" with thoes animation and physics. Would probably shit my pants if that happened!

Quote Originally Posted by mattyman512 View Post
    tht animation is amazing! Wud love to see if it could be done in the next skate game (which isn't gonna happen)
    Who's to say that there is no chance?
    Sure, it seems very unlikely, but with tony wanting to make another game and skate being out of the picture, picking up on their success would be a smart move, nothing along the lines of stealing their ideas, I'd hope, but making the game much more of a simulation of skateboarding.

Which you can tell that he is trying, the board controller concept would have been cool, had it actually functioned properly and the game went in a different direction then the same ol' arcade style.

Eternal put me in the mood to try out proving ground again, but sadly, I sold it quite a while ago. I would like to see this 'sim mode' as well because I never saw it in game, although I did mess around with the replay editor and it was pretty sick.
    Last edited by NotedDerk; 10-01-2011 at 07:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiltzuh View Post
    I skate unrealistic in real life...i just learned ungrindables at my local park !
    Videos; www.youtube.com/derwreck

Blazing a Trail

You turn sim mode on in the ingame options>controls.. The thing is in sim mode you go so slow that some realistic sized gaps are not possible and the pop is so low that doing most flip tricks into grinds are impossible...To deal with this simple turn off sim mode and use reg mode to do somethings...In reg mode you can turn the speed down (1 from 10) as well making reg mode just as fun/important as sim mode

Blazing a Trail

a neat gimmick is the ability to use six axis ps3 pad to balance mannys/grinds lol...I dont use it much but its fun

Grover those variations were unbelievable...
    Thats prove that they CAN do it...
    Someone out there CAN animate actual skateboarding moves... They can take the small details and put it on screen.
    We just need someone with the mindset to simulate skateboarding. How do we get that in their heads.

PSN
    bengrover
    XBL
    bengrove

I don't understand game design in the slightest, but it seems they did that for project 8, then it looked nothing like that. And since they seem to have got further away from anything close to resembling that.

Faaaak I wanna see a game like that so bad. If Skate had this look and feel, and a better city, I would never need another game again.

Oh and I always prefered Tony Hawks clothing options to anything else. You can change colours, way you wear it, logo placement, and there's so much choice.

Fluckit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bengrover View Post
    I don't understand game design in the slightest, but it seems they did that for project 8, then it looked nothing like that. And since they seem to have got further away from anything close to resembling that.

Faaaak I wanna see a game like that so bad. If Skate had this look and feel, and a better city, I would never need another game again.

Oh and I always prefered Tony Hawks clothing options to anything else. You can change colours, way you wear it, logo placement, and there's so much choice.
    Agreed with the clothes.

The clothes in S2 was pretty good imo (haven't unlocked anything for S1 yet). Lots of options to choose from. I was extremely disapponted in S3.. just look at the at sweaters option. There's like 5 sweaters wtf? And I've never really liked any of the pants either.. seems everything is too bagy, and the skinny ones are too short. The best clothes in S3 imo, are the ones the pro's are using.

Steam
    i_am_a_snail

welp, hearing you guys talk about it made me go out an buy it on clearance at k-mart.

gratz

hmm... im tryna search for legit vids on youtube

Blazing a Trail

good luck lol

looking at a lot of the vid comments n I noticed a lot of ppl r not aware of this sim mode(??)

PSN
    bengrover
    XBL
    bengrove

Finally tried this. It does feel very different. But i think they decreased everything way too much. I'm pretty sure flat tre's are impossible. Trying to flip up anything larger than a curb is near impossible. The speed is like constant slo-mo. I did like the challenge of getting the speed and angle etc to bs flip the Love Fountain gap. And with no green and red the balance is a nice challenge to judge by the body.

I think if they could tweak this so it's near perfect. Add some more features (longer hold X bigger pop etc.) or maybe even a new control setting. And with the motion cap animations, non cartoony looking, rl spots, stick a video editor in their and I will for sure buy that. And probaby never need another game.

Blazing a Trail

thpg is definitely not perfect but like I said before you need to switch between sim and reg mode to make up for the problems sim mode has...It only takes a few seconds to switch to sim in the in game options tho, so no biggie...And dont forget to turn the speed up to 10 while in sim mod...Also when rolling in sim mode you need to press R1(ps3) to push for more speed..

So like if you want to do a flip trick into a grind then switch to reg and turn the speed down so when you grind its not to fast.
    Last edited by EternalRewind; 10-05-2011 at 02:21 PM.

I can't find a realistic mode in P8

UG/Popless Pioneer pawnluvguitarist's Avatar

Just bought it on Ebay. Looking forward to giving it a try. I played the demo a bit when it came out, i saw the sim mode, but couldnt use it in the demo. Could be fun, if for nothing else just balancing grinds and manuals. I loved how in THP8 you could just turn off the balance metre and balance manuals just by looking at how your skater was leaning.

Blazing a Trail

good to hear pawn...Maybe you can make a video with your cap card...Also the online still works so maybe we can skate the city and you can record some of my tricks then we can make a thpg collbo video if you're down

Quote Originally Posted by EternalRewind View Post
    good to hear pawn...Maybe you can make a video with your cap card...Also the online still works so maybe we can skate the city and you can record some of my tricks then we can make a thpg collbo video if you're down
    Yeah, I'll let you know when it comes in, should be another week or two. We'll see how it goes, I lost interest very earlier on when i was making a Thrasher vid. Either way, should be fun for at least a little while.

it came in today, gonna mess with it a bit, maybe even beat the career mode

Just reviving this thread a bit, was anyone down for that video?

I fancy a short a little break from PC and San Van before I go on the mother of all editing missions soon.