Thread: 3pac

XBL
    TheDietTea

Default 3pac

Heard this beat and felt a tupac style approach.. or atleast my take on it..
    is what it is.
    Feedback is cool.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS0Bj0GSaxM

Fluckit Senior Citizen replicant's Avatar
    XBL
    replicant#2618

Some flow issues, but it didn't suck. C+
    Bear "replicant" Powell
    "I am Shaolin-Style!"

XBL: replicant#2618

Currently Playing: Diablo 2 Resurrected, Elden Ring, Skate 3

XBL
    TheDietTea

I value the opinion but help me understand it further?
    What would you consider "Flow"?? The Way I speak?
    Of course it's basic.. but unless you want to link me to some rap 101
    I'm going to ask questions.. I'm not offended just enlighten me with your perception, defined.

XBL
    TheDietTea

Rap has no value without the consumer's opinion..
    so correct me if I'm wrong but Replicant, you're a consumer right?
    You buy into music based on a consumer's perspective?
    The Perspective an artist no longer has when they start making music..
    so It does matter.. and This is where I'm struggiling.. If Consumers can't buy into it
    It has no value.. it has meaning but no value.. My aim is value and meaning and soon to follow
    quality.. not in a place for a good microphone but I'm doing my best here.
    I appreciate any feedback, let me have it if any of you get a chance to sit down and really process what I'm trying to put out here.

XBL
    replicant#2618

When it comes to rapping I place emphasis on two major things and that is lyrical content and flow.
    The lyrical content is easy to do if you got at least a couple sparking brain cells and an idea of merit.
    Flow is all about pacing your phrases and breathing so that your rap comes across effortless.
    I don't know how much musical background you have, but most of the basics boils down to counting 1-2-3-4 in rhythm.
    Off timing, break beats, stops, and such put it a lot harder. Busta Rhymes is a prime example of someone
    who does his rhymes off beat and fast, but creating a harmonic flow of his own.

Your personal issue is with a habit of speeding up your sentences to where you get off beat
    and go against the actual song structure without trying to harmonize or sync with it. You really
    have to sit down and listen to a beat long and hard, then start putting your words to it so that
    your phrasing and breathing are in sync to it. That is flow.

My background is classically trained music and playing in varage punk -> metal bands. You can
    go against a beat like Dave Brubeck or Helmet, but you have to find ways do it more melodically
    like Dream Theater.

This isn't your style of rap that pertains specifically to you, but it is a prime example of how flow
    works to perfection. Tupac places the phrasing on beat and even when he speeds lyrics he still
    finds the beats without effort. It's all about making what you do appear effortless even if you are
    working your ass off to get it done.

Here is the other end of the spectrum as Busta still uses a basic 4/4 timing beat, but uses break beat
    and speed phrasing on top of it while still maintaining the time. Feel the music and put the lyrics on
    top of it and keep trying until you finally feel the words and music blending together and you'll know
    what I mean by "Flow".

Last edited by replicant; 12-28-2011 at 06:31 AM. Reason: spacing
    Bear "replicant" Powell
    "I am Shaolin-Style!"

XBL
    TheDietTea

Huh.. I didn't know that about you man that's cool..
    Yeah I don't have much background at all.
    Good post is good.

XBL
    replicant#2618

Yeah, music is a big part of my life. I have 11 years of Classical training in Tuba and Percussion
    along with Musical Composition, Conducting, and Theory. From the age of 18 on I learned how
    to play Guitar and Bass to do something besides sing or play drums in various bands. Plus I san
    in everything from church choir to lead vocals for groups. Years ago I used to teach some music
    classes and played in various street festivals and community based or university based orchestras.
    Due to my arthritis I can't do a lot with my music anymore, but I do sit in with friends and offer
    constructive criticism or viable alternatives to what they are performing. The music covers the
    spectrum with gospel, punk, bluegrass, rap (hip-hop), jazz, classical, various rock genres (alternative,
    southern, metal, hard, etc), blues, top 40, tribal, reggae, and even country.

If you ever have any questions about music do not hesitate to ask. I can help you understand
    everything from the basics to the most advanced music theory. There are several people on the
    forum who are legit musicians as well who'd definitely throw their hat in the ring as well.
    Last edited by replicant; 12-29-2011 at 09:46 AM. Reason: wall of text crit
    Bear "replicant" Powell
    "I am Shaolin-Style!"