Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thrasher: Skate and Destroy, Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX, Aggressive Inline, etc...

Fluckit Senior Citizen replicant's Avatar
    XBL
    replicant#2618

Default Thrasher: Skate and Destroy, Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX, Aggressive Inline, etc...

I just want you guys to post in here if you have interest in any of the titles listed above.
    Z-Axis Ltd which is the Development Team behind these titles is no more. About a decade
    or so ago I worked for them in cooperation with Acclaim Max Sports as well. Now with the
    recent THPS-HD game I am thinking of trying to find some of my old contacts that may
    still be in the industry. While I know our community is small I want to see what kind of
    interest we have here. It would be interesting to find out who is in control of these IP's
    and possibly petition them to look into the remake market (IE: Xbox Live Arcade, PSN, PC)
    as a future for the above games.

I do know that Throwback Entertainment bought out the Acclaim Library when they went under,
    but to my knowledge they only have rights to Aggressive Inline. The Dave Mirra series I am
    not sure who has the rights to it at the moment. It is very possible Dave himself is sitting on
    the rights because he had an insane contract deal.

Thrasher I would wager that Take-Two Interactive still has rights to since they own Rockstar.
    If I can get enough interest here I will look into throwing out some feelers to get an idea of
    what may become of these titles. These games mean a lot to me and I'd love to see them
    brought back to life in some form.
    Bear "replicant" Powell
    "I am Shaolin-Style!"

XBL: replicant#2618

Currently Playing: Diablo 2 Resurrected, Elden Ring, Skate 3

Wow that would be amazing.
    I would love a thrasher skate and destroy for xbox arcade! It would sell well too I think.
    ----------------------
    --> "I wont give up my real friends just to play that game alone at home with headphones on, isolated from social contacts. Why did u (EA) had to ruin a game that hard? Did someone just poop in your cereals? Are we to blame for this action? "

Fluckit Master

Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX... That was the last, best bmx game released, and it's from, uhmm, 2000....

I've been riding bmx for almost 7 years now and whenever I get the chance to play this game (once every a couple months, atleast), I get the best feeling playing. It's way ahead Mat Hoffman's pro bmx, tj lavin's ultimate bmx (MTV Sports) and Gravity Games Bike: Street Vert Dirt game (for ps2, but even so).

BUT, we can't forget Tony Hawk's American Wasteland's bike mode experience. Physics are way better than mirras, tricks are more real, even if their just a few (but atleast, they included the 'real street' ones).
    A bmx game with THAW's physics, Mirra's trick library, and damn, EA.Skate's maps, would sell so well nowadays.....

Check this THAW vid I did a while ago

Fluckit Master

I put alot of hours on Dave mirra...used to do best runs with my bro all the time. Honestly that's the only good bmx game I've played others are shit compared to it. I was late for thrasher but played it after thps2 came out and put Tony hawk down for awhile. I did play inline but I'm not into roller blades so didn't find much enjoyment out of it
    www.youtube.com/IstabbeDaman

Cap faction
    LostSociety
    Label
    Quote Originally Posted by rzrfvr View Post
    CAP is a monster and not everyone can learn all the tricks just like the graphics creator.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiltzuh View Post
    I skate unrealistic in real life...i just learned ungrindables at my local park !

XBL
    replicant#2618

Quote Originally Posted by agusbmxarg View Post
    Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX... That was the last, best bmx game released, and it's from, uhmm, 2000....

I've been riding bmx for almost 7 years now and whenever I get the chance to play this game (once every a couple months, atleast), I get the best feeling playing. It's way ahead Mat Hoffman's pro bmx, tj lavin's ultimate bmx (MTV Sports) and Gravity Games Bike: Street Vert Dirt game (for ps2, but even so).

BUT, we can't forget Tony Hawk's American Wasteland's bike mode experience. Physics are way better than mirras, tricks are more real, even if their just a few (but atleast, they included the 'real street' ones).
    A bmx game with THAW's physics, Mirra's trick library, and damn, EA.Skate's maps, would sell so well nowadays.....

Check this THAW vid I did a while ago
    I do remember the vid from awhile back. THAW had decent bike work because they brought in some of the Rainbow Studio (THQ Digital Studios UK is their name now after being bought out) guys who imo did a fantastic job on Mat Hoffman's Pro BMX 2 (I hated the first one, but 2 is nice.). You also have to take into account that THAW came out 5 years or so after DMFBMX 1&2. Some nice advances in that time period. So, we definitely know with todays work they could make one helluva bike game. I'm not a bike rider myself, but I am a big fan of Mirra, Nyquist, and Hoffman who I have gotten to meet over the years. I have a cool framed pic that Mirra signed for me and a VHS (Expendable Youth) that Nyquist and Mirra both signed for me when I was working on DMFBMX2.

The main issue now I think for a BMX game is finding a face for it. There are a lot of good riders out there, but none I can think of that really have that face for the product. I think now it would have to be built around a brand like Red Bull for instance.
    Bear "replicant" Powell
    "I am Shaolin-Style!"

XBL
    replicant#2618

Quote Originally Posted by Ladd279 View Post
    I put alot of hours on Dave mirra...used to do best runs with my bro all the time. Honestly that's the only good bmx game I've played others are shit compared to it. I was late for thrasher but played it after thps2 came out and put Tony hawk down for awhile. I did play inline but I'm not into roller blades so didn't find much enjoyment out of it
    Aggressive Inline wasn't a big seller, but it was at a time when the sport had some good exposure. X-Games fueled it, but the game followed the more Platformer format which I still dislike. I still find the game fun though.
    Bear "replicant" Powell
    "I am Shaolin-Style!"

Blazing a Trail

You know I love these games to death!

Yes! Please see is you can get something going replicant. That would be amazing..If theres anything I can do let me know..

Der Mohn Tintenfisch PoppySquidJr's Avatar
    Steam
    PoppySquidJr
    XBL
    PoppySquidJr

I loved all of these. I'd be very much willing to help. :V

I still have dave mirra's freestyle bmx 2 soundtrack almost implanted in my brain.
    played that game a shit ton, but it was mainly for the hilarious bails.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiltzuh View Post
    I skate unrealistic in real life...i just learned ungrindables at my local park !
    Videos; www.youtube.com/derwreck

Fluckit Master

Quote Originally Posted by replicant View Post
    The main issue now I think for a BMX game is finding a face for it. There are a lot of good riders out there, but none I can think of that really have that face for the product. I think now it would have to be built around a brand like Red Bull for instance.
    Good point, and you're totally right. Most of the 'hottest' bike riders of the moment wont even think of being part of such a commercial thing as a videogame, which is sad in a way. Actually, I think (imo) that's the same thing going on with skateboarding atm, right?

Blazing a Trail

Good point, and you're totally right. Most of the 'hottest' bike riders of the moment wont even think of being part of such a commercial thing as a videogame, which is sad in a way. Actually, I think (imo) that's the same thing going on with skateboarding atm, right?
    Thats very sad...

Skating/BMX video games help get more kids into the sport...

THPS/Thrasher/Dave Mirra BMX GOT me into it... where I grow up skating was non existent and my friends didnt like it.. In 1999 i was 14 and lived in Michigan, I played those games and watched BlueTorch TV on ESPN, that stuff got me hype on skating and bmx but i didnt start skating until I moved to California at the age of 16.. I got lucky because skating was huge there and there was a skate shop a few blocks away from my place..The rest is history...

Moral of story Skating and bmx game help the sport grow

Fuck yeah Dave mirra games are classic and thrasher was soo fun back in the day, id be stoked as fuck on playing that on xbla.
    Pissoff

Blazing a Trail
    XBL
    SalamiAndreas

nigel sylvester perhaps? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigel_Sylvester he's becoming pretty popular as of late. bunch of big name sponsors as well.

ignore this post

Last edited by i am a snail; 01-21-2013 at 01:40 PM. Reason: hurrf durf oh god i'm fucking retarded hurf 2 electric boogaloo

Hell yeah, Dave Mirra was and still is the shit! I still play that to this day. If you guys could take Thrasher or Dave Mirra and add walking, parks, THE REEL etc. similar to skate, that would be a dream for all of us...

XBL
    replicant#2618

Well, with skateboarding you actually do have some faces that could push the product.
    This is besides the obvious choice of Tony Hawk who is pretty much the face of skateboard games.
    Thanks to Mtv you have Ryan Sheckler and Rob Dyrdek really in the limelight.
    Rob being the main choice thanks to Street League, Rob & Big, Fantasy Factory, and Ridiculousness.
    Street League itself is just waiting to be branded on a game imo.
    Bear "replicant" Powell
    "I am Shaolin-Style!"

XBL
    replicant#2618

Quote Originally Posted by andreas View Post
    nigel sylvester perhaps? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigel_Sylvester he's becoming pretty popular as of late. bunch of big name sponsors as well.
    The thing with Nigel is that I would think he'd really be part of branding thanks to say Nike for example.
    Nike is just eating up "Action" Sports personalities so they are very primed for a game promotion.
    Bear "replicant" Powell
    "I am Shaolin-Style!"

I know all the words to I'm housin thanks to thrasher....
    Been threw 3 copys, on my 4th with no PS or cap card....
    I need both in my life....

Fluckit Master

Quote Originally Posted by andreas View Post
    Well, you have a point too. Nigel is imo, right now, the Jay-Z of bmx. He recently said that he's gonna start making frames with his new brand (can't remember the name now).
    It's really hard when making this kind of games (action sports games), where you have to satisfy two totally different audiences, the casual gamer who wants to see big jumps and stunts but MOSTLY, sick bails; and the hardcore game, the one who enjoys the sport and expect the game to be some sort of simulator.

TSxR3N3GAD3, Dave mirra with a .reel-ish site and system will make me quit studying working and having social interactions, mah god!

Skatehead, we learnt to appreciate good and classy hip hop tracks thanks to Thrasher.

Resident Fruitbooter Roccityroller's Avatar

Agressive Inline. Yes, but less tony hawky.
    Hoodlum Threat
    Youtube
    Live Stream
    Twitter

XBL
    replicant#2618

Quote Originally Posted by Roccityroller View Post
    Do you think there would be a strong enough market for a more "sim" inline game?
    This is not a poke fun at fruitbooters question, but a curiosity on the actual market for inline skaters.
    Bear "replicant" Powell
    "I am Shaolin-Style!"

Yes, rollerblading scene is still very strong, as shown by the 1000+ dudes that showed up to the bittercold showdown last weekend.

It's gotta be the right type tho. Like skate. where you open to go crazy too.
    Hoodlum Threat
    Youtube
    Live Stream
    Twitter

Der Mohn Tintenfisch PoppySquidJr's Avatar
    Steam
    PoppySquidJr
    XBL
    PoppySquidJr

Yes, rollerblading scene is still very strong, as shown by the 1000+ dudes that showed up to the bittercold showdown last weekend.

I would be ALL OVER that shit. :V

I bet half the skate. addicts would be on it for lack of a skateboarding game. That's how i got into Skate... i doubt your market is going to be just rollerbladers/bmx'rs/skateboarders no matter what game you're talking about.
    Hoodlum Threat
    Youtube
    Live Stream
    Twitter

Fluckit Master

I bet half the skate. addicts would be on it for lack of a skateboarding game. That's how i got into Skate... i doubt your market is going to be just rollerbladers/bmx'rs/skateboarders no matter what game you're talking about.
    Totally. The sandbox feel of this kind of extreme sports games transgress each specific discipline. And you can even add snowboarding to the list.

XBL
    replicant#2618

From a gaming standpoint I just don't think the market for it would exist.
    However, with a quality team behind it I am sure it could be brought to peoples attention.
    The sandbox style gameplay would bring in lots of people who know nothing of the sport.
    Bear "replicant" Powell
    "I am Shaolin-Style!"

XBL
    replicant#2618

Totally. The sandbox feel of this kind of extreme sports games transgress each specific discipline. And you can even add snowboarding to the list.
    We already *kinda* have this for snowboarding with the Stoked game.
    It's actually very well done and the "Big Air" edition is pretty cheap.
    100x better than SSX Demo I played a few days ago.
    Bear "replicant" Powell
    "I am Shaolin-Style!"

From a gaming standpoint I just don't think the market for it would exist.
    However, with a quality team behind it I am sure it could be brought to peoples attention.
    The sandbox style gameplay would bring in lots of people who know nothing of the sport.
    Would it be a madden-type market? No.
    But in a time where there's really no game in that niche (sandbox style, semi-real, extreme sports) would it do well? yes.

Look how many bmxr's, snowboarders, rollerbladers, etc play EA Skate.
    Hoodlum Threat
    Youtube
    Live Stream
    Twitter

XBL
    replicant#2618

Would it be a madden-type market? No.
    But in a time where there's really no game in that niche (sandbox style, semi-real, extreme sports) would it do well? yes.

Look how many bmxr's, snowboarders, rollerbladers, etc play EA Skate.
    That is the thing though. The game has to have a relative market to focus the title to and meet the bottomline.
    I'm not knocking inline because I know it does have a following and a good number of those involved would buy it.
    However, even with other niche crowds thrown in there it'd be a tough sell to a publisher.
    Something like THPS did so well simply because it also allowed the Platform gamers to get involved.
    Personally, I think a sim inline game would be fun, but I don't see it even remotely hitting a Platinum status in sales.
    Bear "replicant" Powell
    "I am Shaolin-Style!"

Fluckit Master

That is the thing though. The game has to have a relative market to focus the title to and meet the bottomline.
    I'm not knocking inline because I know it does have a following and a good number of those involved would buy it.
    However, even with other niche crowds thrown in there it'd be a tough sell to a publisher.
    Something like THPS did so well simply because it also allowed the Platform gamers to get involved.
    Personally, I think a sim inline game would be fun, but I don't see it even remotely hitting a Platinum status in sales.
    And that's the wrong thing we are doing. We want Sim games to have platinum status in sales. The problem is there, but since money makes the world go round, well, things now are how they should be.

If it ain't making dollars, it don't make sense!
    ----------------------
    --> "I wont give up my real friends just to play that game alone at home with headphones on, isolated from social contacts. Why did u (EA) had to ruin a game that hard? Did someone just poop in your cereals? Are we to blame for this action? "

i had a similar topic going a bit ago.

http://skatefluckit.com/showthread.php?t=9892

XBL
    replicant#2618

Yup, I posted in it as well. Still talking to people trying to figure out who has
    what license and where some people I used to know are working at now.
    Bear "replicant" Powell
    "I am Shaolin-Style!"

Glad to hear you're still looking into this!!

----------------------

so what was your job at acclaim? what do you do now?

sounds like a cool gig

XBL
    replicant#2618

Quote Originally Posted by Ayreon View Post
    so what was your job at acclaim? what do you do now? sounds like a cool gig
    It started out as beta test work on Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX: Maximum Remix for Acclaim Max Sports. Then I was signed on as a Freelance Design Consultant (under Z-Axis Ltd) for Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX 2 and BMX XXX (Formerly titled Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX 3). For those projects I did Alpha & Beta testing and worked with the R&D department. In a nutshell, I got to play the games alot. Plus I worked with the Level Designers in every aspect of the board creations. From initial ideas to layouts and then to creation/implementation of the environments. I stated before here how awesome it was to be part of the process of designing the levels on paper (both in text and visually) and then working with the framework and texture implementation before finally getting to ride the hell out of it. It's one of my favorite memories thus far in my life where I got to see my actual creative input and work make it into a game. I broke ties with Z-Axis and Acclaim in late 2002 when I had finished my work on BMX XXX and beta work on Aggressive Inline. Pretty much Activision was about to shitcan us all and I rolled out.

Working in the gaming industry was and can still be one of the most amazing jobs ever. You just have to be able to handle the fact that at any time your position in the company can be X'ed out unless you're the owner. I got started as a Beta Tester around 1995 for Origin Systems and never looked back. To this day I still test a ton of games. I just love to see how much I can break them. ^^

Now I run my own business out of my home building computers for people and upgrading/repairing/maintaining systems for my customers. It's not amazing cash, but I make my own hours, answer to myself, and do well enough to pay my bills. I also help my parents with their company which they sell knives and related products through.
    Bear "replicant" Powell
    "I am Shaolin-Style!"

so you went from constantly worrying about being canned to being your own boss. lol.

sounds like a sweet deal.

Fluckin' Hatchling jimmypage4ever's Avatar

I never played thrasher until about a year ago( which is an amazing game), but i was in the third grade when the first Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX came out. Between DMFB1, Maximum Remix, and DMFB2, well alot of my childhood was spent with the driver series and the dave mirra series. It would be AWESOME to get something going along the lines of a Dave Mirra Freestyle Bmx type game but with more realism possibly
    Korrupted Skate Team

Fluckit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ayreon View Post
    so you went from constantly worrying about being canned to being your own boss. lol.

sounds like a sweet deal.
    This.
    Interesting how just by reading your story, it becomes clear how far behind in the local market we are towards gaming/entertaining software.
    And good to see you have a defined interest in having new things related to this kinda stuff in the future.

XBL
    emericaridr11

this Big Time

Blazing a Trail

so any luck replicant?

Man do I miss the days when a few bmx and skate games came out a year, now not so much.. Thank god ea skate made a great game that I can play for decades if need be.
    Last edited by EternalRewind; 04-19-2012 at 04:28 PM.