Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Going to attempt to get funding for a new skate game. not skate 4.

Fluckit Master

I know mark the sith works for ea, so maybe he could help you out someway....
    www.youtube.com/IstabbeDaman

Cap faction
    LostSociety
    Label
    Quote Originally Posted by rzrfvr View Post
    CAP is a monster and not everyone can learn all the tricks just like the graphics creator.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiltzuh View Post
    I skate unrealistic in real life...i just learned ungrindables at my local park !

DEMZ Yeah i remember seeing that and not caring too much about it hahah. But I totally agree with you that would make shit edgy, people would find out about shit happening today and could post back to a forum and tell people they know about it. It would keep shit fresh. Like if you run into a pro at a spot he might let you know about an event or something or if you follow a big crowd of skaters you can find yourself at a spot you've never seen or an event. It would open so many different opportunities.
    PSN: m00rg4n_FR33man_
    XBL: Ohmidineffect

Pandora & The Devd Stck Collective.

Bruh help me eat, buy a beat.
    soundcloud.com/nothing_neue

XBL
    TheDietTea

I remember skate 2 props glitching out and flying out of the map..
    but something about them made them feel proper in skate 2.
    Maybe I've just played skate 3 so long it feels different but
    I want to say props were better in Skate 2.

if this goes through and you do start a new skate game. PLEASE FUCKING TEST IT BEFORE SHIPPING. the bugs in skate 3 are so obvious it enrages me that it even go past the development phase.
    IM A BOSS ASS BITCH

XBL
    TheDietTea

Well it just makes me think..
    I don't know that it's true, pure speculation on my own observations and kind've adding to what I've already said but
    Are arcade skaters the reason Skate 2 and 3 are still online? It seems that way any time I play online
    constantly placed into unrealistic spots in un-ranked rooms. I don't mind, that's how I started off playing..
    I still do it once in a while.. love to see the craziest side of skate as well.
    Other than Fluckit and Likebutter, who is really out there supporting the realistic side of the series?
    We say we're keeping it alive but do you think we are really responsible for the servers still being online?
    I don't know.. maybe a new game will sell well, assuming tony hawk doesn't start up again seeing that skate is discontinued.
    Skate started off great, the first skating game of it's time.. sold great.
    Ran itself into the ground? EA's fault? Blackbox's Fault? Microsoft's Fault? Sony's Fault?
    I'm not sure how things work on sony's behalf but microsoft updates run at 20k! 5 game updates is 100k if that's true!
    A game run purely on community feedback and a true effort from a great group of people
    I don't know maybe I'm rambling off topic again. Just Think about it. Or not.

I want the clothing style from DefJam Icon
    Use the unreal engine that would be nuts!!!!! Except if you get this started next year you realize that this game wouldn't be coming out till 2015 or if its indie Late 2013 early 2014.....
    Good luck.....hopefully all his hype about a real skate 4 I've been seeing around YouTube is real.
    GT - The Fr0sted Man

Quote Originally Posted by fallingskyline View Post
    i'm perfecting sloppiness!

Blazing a Trail
    XBL
    SalamiAndreas

I'll suck your peeny if you get a new skate game made.

ignore this post

Last edited by i am a snail; 01-21-2013 at 01:40 PM. Reason: hurrf durf oh god i'm fucking retarded hurf 2 electric boogaloo

Quote Originally Posted by Permy View Post
    Scott and Jay own flickit
    not ea

also good luck
    I was about to say this ^
    Hoodlum Family All Rights Reserved ™ ® & Copyright © 2007-2012
    "dude i didn't go hard on this video thats what my welcome is gonna be" -RaginWarHero

I must say that I am super impressed with the amount of support you are getting from the homies on this...makes me remember why i ruv fluckit good luck to you and if theres anything I/we can do, just let us know

I will say that I agree that the next game should be on PC. Like has already been mentioned: customization. If somebody gets bored with something or wants something changed- they just make a mod and release it for everyone. Ordinary people could make the game what they want. Isnt that a big reason why Counter Strike is still going strong after all these years? people making maps and such?
    Last edited by llamasrock; 12-17-2012 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by andreas View Post
    I'll suck your peeny if you get a new skate game made.
    and umm....this.

Quote Originally Posted by llamasrock View Post

I will say that I agree that the next game should be on PC. Like has already been mentioned: customization. If somebody gets bored with something or wants something changed- they just make a mod and release it for everyone. Ordinary people could make the game what they want. Isnt that a big reason why Counter Strike is still going strong after all these years? people making maps and such?
    exactly.

Bethesda did the same approach with skyrim and fallout. They are super open source. and think how much easier it would be to make vids. No need to uplaod to the site, then download. Just generate the footage right to your harddrive.

Make that possible on the console systems too. so people can just transfer it to their computer with a usb stick. Its a worth while thing to do. Even if the server ever die we could still make vids. and it would free up a lot of server bandwidth use.

Blazing a Trail SeksulChokolate's Avatar
    PSN
    Weird_JamJar
    XBL
    SeksulChokolate

There is a daunting problem with marketing a skateboarding game and that is to appeal to a wide variety of consumers. On one hand there are people who buy the game for the big air and massive bails and to have a bunch of laughs with friends. On the other hand there are consumers who are more attracted to the simulation aspect of the game and how close to realism they can achieve whilst playing the game. There needs to be a FLUENT transition between those two experiences.

In personal experiences friends of mine who do not skate pick this game up and migrate to the mega ramp. This is the case for most people who casually pick the game up. Because of this fact the game can offer a few designated areas for the "go big" causal gamers without sacrificing the integrity and realism that can be applied to the actual city. This is where skate 3 failed. They tried to make a city that would appeal to the casual player. Basically, creating a few "sandboxes" so-to-speak will be more than enough to make the big air wanters happy. This way you completely please both parties.

Also, as knex stated before, a big problem with the skate franchise was that they were too caught up with unnecessary details. They targeted immensely popular skaters and artists which cost them a pretty penny. By reaching out to more unknown markets (newer pros, ams, indie/lesser known artists) your game becomes a desired canvas for people to reach out to. These people seek exposure and a highly marketable skateboarding game will prove to be very appealing. As a result, more people become interested with the game due to the lure of exposure at a FRACTION of what it would cost to get big names into your game. This also adds to the down to earth, life like feel of the game.

That is all. /rant
    Hoodlum: Threat

Steam
    LowKeyIndustries
    XBL
    SteezOner

Quote Originally Posted by SeksulChokolate View Post
    There is a daunting problem with marketing a skateboarding game and that is to appeal to a wide variety of consumers. On one hand there are people who buy the game for the big air and massive bails and to have a bunch of laughs with friends. On the other hand there are consumers who are more attracted to the simulation aspect of the game and how close to realism they can achieve whilst playing the game. There needs to be a FLUENT transition between those two experiences.

In personal experiences friends of mine who do not skate pick this game up and migrate to the mega ramp. This is the case for most people who casually pick the game up. Because of this fact the game can offer a few designated areas for the "go big" causal gamers without sacrificing the integrity and realism that can be applied to the actual city. This is where skate 3 failed. They tried to make a city that would appeal to the casual player. Basically, creating a few "sandboxes" so-to-speak will be more than enough to make the big air wanters happy. This way you completely please both parties.

Also, as knex stated before, a big problem with the skate franchise was that they were too caught up with unnecessary details. They targeted immensely popular skaters and artists which cost them a pretty penny. By reaching out to more unknown markets (newer pros, ams, indie/lesser known artists) your game becomes a desired canvas for people to reach out to. These people seek exposure and a highly marketable skateboarding game will prove to be very appealing. As a result, more people become interested with the game due to the lure of exposure at a FRACTION of what it would cost to get big names into your game. This also adds to the down to earth, life like feel of the game.

That is all. /rant
    this is so on point...

Quote Originally Posted by NotedDerk View Post
    I want a city to be absolutely covered with scooter kids, like pigeons or rats, and if you hit just one of them, their parents run over and break your board and you can only play the game again when you purchase another 'online pass', aka a new deck, at 49.99, minimum!

Sigh.

I encourage the enthusiasm, but the approach to this is all wrong. Your best bet would be to get a Kickstarter going, but in order for this to happen someone will have to do a shit-tonne of work to even get a simple budget/business plan going. On average a game takes 5 years from conception to market, and that's if you're building everything from the ground up. If you have an actual working engine up and running cut about 1 year off that plan. If you have assets up and running deduct an additional 6 months to a year. Don't even get me started on modelling and physics, both of which are very time and money consuming.

Let's say you get the $5 million in funding. Who's building the game? Are you infringing on any proprietary rights? Who gets to keep the profits?

Everyone says fuck EA but goddamn, they're a business. Why did the Skate series get killed? Not nearly enough return on investment. Whomever invests the $5 million will want their money back, with profits on top. Where will this revenue be generated?

Not dissing the plan, just totally dissing the plan.

The only thing that will provide satisfaction is a moddable pc game. Flight sim nerds, combat junkies and racing idiots (like me) have it made. Each can rely on a community of gamers that have the tools, skills, and maturity to develop a perfect game amongst themselves. Unfortunately we do not have a base-game to work from, as aforementioned communities do. And I am not confident that the Skate community has the coding chops to pull it off anyway. No hate. Its a good thing. Comes with the territory. Most of us are right-brain creative thinkers, not number crunchers.

So all we need is 1) an open-source skateboarding game engine, 2) about a dozen programming and design geniuses that happen to skate in real life and have time to dedicate a good portion of their life to a project that promises $0.00 dollars in compensation, and 3) a large community gamers willing to share ideas, encouragement, and constructive criticism.

<crickets>

Anything less will be a disappointment. Stop skating. Break your board. Go back inside and lock the door. Everyone thinks you are an antisocial loser anyway. Prove them right. Go learn C++.

Seriously though, I'd lend whatever skills and knowledge I have to a project like this. If some of us older guys with a little cash pooled our resources together, it's not unrealistic to hire a tech student or freelancer for a few thousand dollars to dev a simple engine. Then all of us can go nuts on the code, call in a pro when necessary. Of course all of the donors would end up hating each other, but potentially have something to show for it.

Just riffing. Maybe talkin shit. I know nothing about anything.
    likebuttermag.com
    XBL: BladderBoy
    PSN: TheLikeButterGuy
    Steam: monthackma

Steam
    LowKeyIndustries
    XBL
    SteezOner

Fuck, I'd do the concept art.

...I'd be shit at anything else haha

Quote Originally Posted by NotedDerk View Post
    I want a city to be absolutely covered with scooter kids, like pigeons or rats, and if you hit just one of them, their parents run over and break your board and you can only play the game again when you purchase another 'online pass', aka a new deck, at 49.99, minimum!

XBL
    YumyyyP & i enjoi hopps

BladderBoy it sounds like you've made a skate game before.
    But Defiantly I'd do anything to help this project.
    Maybe make a video where the proceeds would go to the funding of the game?
    Just a thought.

Edit: Like a Kony 2012 type shit
    Last edited by yumpancakes1; 01-10-2013 at 03:45 PM.

Blazing a Trail
    XBL
    SalamiAndreas

I think this new game needs naked players so I can watch tits jiggle while I do barefoot hardflips.

ignore this post

Last edited by i am a snail; 01-21-2013 at 01:40 PM. Reason: hurrf durf oh god i'm fucking retarded hurf 2 electric boogaloo

Quote Originally Posted by andreas View Post
    I think this new game needs naked players so I can watch tits jiggle while I do barefoot hardflips.
    This.

Steam
    i_am_a_snail

Quote Originally Posted by Fecal Face View Post
    Fuck, I'd do the concept art.

...I'd be shit at anything else haha
    i could maybe help with this

The issue at this point isn't even funding. That is still an issue, but the bigger issue is getting responses like "nobody is going to touch a skateboarding game if you hand deliver it to them on a silver platter". That's one response I received from a gentleman who works at a reputable gaming website. I was simply shooting ideas off of people I used to keep in contact with. It's pretty sad at this point. The only enthusiasm I've really received was from people at this board, and about 10% of the hundreds of emails that I've contacted.

The project isn't dead in the water yet, I still want to get this done.
    Whoever mentioned kickstarter, I know, man. I know.
    I'm working on getting a meeting with more people and hopefully putting a video together. If anyone knows any popular am skaters that would like to hype the project, I can take a plane out and put it on a video or something.
    I know I haven't written much lately on this thread, and I hope you all don't think I've given up. It may take until 2015 to get this is the water, but I promise to not give up on it. I still think about this everyday.

I'm sure there's more info I could include about what I've been doing and who I'm talking to, but until I have a more complete idea of what I can deliver, I'll just say that I'm still going on it. I can't quit. I love all of your ideas, and I want to get this made. As a fan, above all else.
    http://www.soundcloud.com/ironyokes
    Humble sample nerdhop for you.

XBL
    TheDietTea

That's pretty rad man.
    Did you explain to them that it would be different from all the other skate games?
    Probably wouldn't help much but two to three bullets, worth a shot.
    Just come up with some set in stone ideas. A Gripping Story, Memorable characters.
    The Game's Play style can come later, yeah?
    I don't know much about making these kind of things happen
    but I think if you have the right approach and that enthusiasm
    When you speak about something you have put time into making to interest others, it may show.
    It may interest.

Blazing a Trail

Waste of time, never gona happen

XBL
    TheDietTea

I don't know maybe the odds are minimal after seeing a game like skate fall
    but the fact that someone has a certain desire for a new one after seeing skate fall..
    Pretty Inspiring stuff.
    Some of the best ideas are forged man, Just like anything else in life you gotta work at it.
    Novel, You seem pretty serious about it. So don't give up on it.
    Consider yourself a developer at this point, maybe tell them what needs to happen
    what every one of your ideas and intentions are make a slideshow and business plan if needed.
    Make the serious part about it known man.
    I was also saying earlier there is some pretty good artistic talents around here just sitting.
    If we all were to contribute a little bit to making this happen
    I think our chances would be much stronger.
    Instead of saying hey, we have an idea for a skate game.
    We get our shit together maybe
    make some Blueprints, Sketches, Concept Art, Lines, Dialogue, a Story.
    So when it comes time to present the idea, you just gotta find that interest.
    We could then say Hey, Here's the whole game plan.
    Hand it over in a nice and neat package.
    There's no grey area if we have it all together right? You're interested or you're not.
    Last edited by Antwan; 01-20-2013 at 08:13 PM.

XBL
    Stokenstein

Good job sticking with it.

I think even if you don't succeed, that fact that you've contacted people in the industry and shown there is support for it is a positive. There is a market for a skateboarding game, I know it. Eventually there will be another skateboarding game, hopefully with Skate in mind while being made.

Im just upset there's only been 2 semi realistic skate game serieseses pretty much in the history of ever.
    The market is there, I dont know why only Black Box and EA were the only recent ones to capitalize on it

XBL
    YumyyyP & i enjoi hopps

Ever thought of taking this to the next level?
    A 5 min video on what the next game should have.
    Showing Awareness for this project!

Holy shit. Novel, fellas, I love you. I cannot believe the enthusiasm being put into this project. I'm nearly soiling myself just at the thought of the magic that's happening right now. There may be a slim chance of this happen, but fuck it, LET'S DO THIS!

i here so much lets do this, but so many call of duty, farcry and netflix statuses on peoples xbox live accounts.

also i have a bit of knowledge of how to code. going in as a help desk intern for PopCap next week so thats a start. but yes if i dont see progress with this in a year i will take charge of it. not tht hard to get an idea pushed through if you have the will
    IM A BOSS ASS BITCH

XBL
    YumyyyP & i enjoi hopps

Quote Originally Posted by Hitmanx123 View Post
    i here so much lets do this, but so many call of duty, farcry and netflix statuses on peoples xbox live accounts.

also i have a bit of knowledge of how to code. going in as a help desk intern for PopCap next week so thats a start. but yes if i dont see progress with this in a year i will take charge of it. not tht hard to get an idea pushed through if you have the will
    it helps if you have tits.... ha

Quote Originally Posted by Hitmanx123 View Post
    going in as a help desk intern for PopCap next week so thats a start.
    EA owns PopCap.

I have the XNA developer kit. I dicked around with it for about a year, and ended up with a few side scrolling test levels. Nothing at all worth anything. Basically spent time reverse-engineering templates. It was more of a learning process. Fun though. I am still waiting for Magic to send me fighting poses of himself so I can attempt making a fighting game...

There MUST be a skate game for PC. I am not sure what open-source developer software is best, but I know there is a ton of free shit out there. At the very least, some of us could pool our resources and make a room with a fun box and a skater that moves around. If we made it that far, we'd have a better understanding of what it would take to continue pursuing it.

If a forum community can develop a fully functioning 3d printer http://www.reprap.org/wiki/Main_Page, one can make a skateboarding game. Fuck anyone who thinks it's not possible.

I also have some contacts in app development. I'll poke around.
    Last edited by BladderBoy; 01-24-2013 at 01:52 PM.
    likebuttermag.com
    XBL: BladderBoy
    PSN: TheLikeButterGuy
    Steam: monthackma

XBL
    TheDietTea

I've done some things with sidescrolling mostly 8-16bit pixels, nothing astonishing.
    Even then the program I used wasn't standard html or anything, it had it's own code language.
    I'd be down to lend skills for some kind of sidescrolling skating game, side project anyone?
    I'd be a bit rusty but I could start making character templates and Level turfs again.

As for the next skate game..
    I'm not sure man. I've never done any professional artwork nor have I ever polished my artwork.
    If people start getting into it I'll contribute what I can though.
    Hopefully napkin drawings are an ok basis for ideas haha
    I think I could successfully maintain an idea guy position for this project

i want to help but i cant do anything this need. I dont know the first thing about coding. i dont draw i cant really help
    so I guess I play the roll as the Fan
    5150-back2Basics-meth monsters

XBL
    II zGinger II

Quote Originally Posted by Mage505 View Post
    I wish you the best of luck. Just try and get almost every trick in the books. My suggestions:

- Day/Night cycle
    - Double the clothing
    - Custom shoes
    - Realistic spots
    - Better bailing so it's more like a ragdoll. Maybe add hats falling off.
    - Tons of griptape
    - Realistic clothing movement (like shirt flying up and moving to the breeze)
    - Better sounds

I could go on, that's just a few ideas.
    I agree with Mage about his list and I like the idea of No Pros. Their should be random skaters. Like you would have certain locals that would be at one spot and certain locals at another spot. Their would be crowded days and then their would be those vacant days. Also a "Go Skate Day" should be added where you could skate with at least 10 people all at once in an online session or somethin' like that.

PSN
    Ellishobbs27

i say add like vx1000 so you can film, im sorry im just going picture crazy!!!!
    "Release your inner homo" - Valleyboy420

PSN
    Ellishobbs27

Wait i've got an idea! We all know how Thrasher made a skate game with rockstar, called Thrasher: Skate and Destroy. So maybe if novel or maybe some of us could message Thrasher and maybe talk to them about a game. I feel like they'd be down to do it. Who's with me?

PSN
    Ellishobbs27

Quote Originally Posted by yumpancakes1 View Post
    Ever thought of taking this to the next level?
    A 5 min video on what the next game should have.
    Showing Awareness for this project!
    also i agree with this, we should make a vid or something! And do what he said!

Quote Originally Posted by Goon_Panda View Post
    EA owns PopCap.
    beenhadknown
    IM A BOSS ASS BITCH

Fluckin' Hatchling
    XBL
    RostovButcher

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbs View Post
    Wait i've got an idea! We all know how Thrasher made a skate game with rockstar, called Thrasher: Skate and Destroy. So maybe if novel or maybe some of us could message Thrasher and maybe talk to them about a game. I feel like they'd be down to do it. Who's with me?
    This!