Thread: "Turn It Up" S3 Montage

Fluckin' Hatchling

Default "Turn It Up" S3 Montage

Ok, here's my 3rd montage. I like this one a lot better then my previous ones. I'm improving on doing realistic lines. The production quality is a lot better as well. Enjoy, and please give feedback.

Do you have any idea what realistic is?

Fluckin' Hatchling

If your response is an attempt at trolling, it's a poor one. If it's not, yes...I do know what realistic is. I also know that the term is subject to interpretation, as I've seen plenty of "realistic" videos that have even more unrealistic lines then I do. And as I said before, I'm "improving on the process". That means I haven't perfected it, but I'm learning and trying to. So if your feedback isn't going to point out what I can do to improve, do me the solid of keepin' it yo' yourself, eh? Thanks.

It's comments like yours with "masked" sarcasm that's the reason why the community is going to die slowly. Instead of being dicks to new comers, how about trying to help them out and give them pointers on how to improve? Novel concept, isn't it?
    Last edited by Oz70NYC; 08-11-2013 at 08:49 AM.

Awful Awfuls!

Music was fine, but filming needs work...like "not-using-the-tripod-cam" needs work. There was maybe a trick or two that looked realistic, but that was it.

Check out the other vids on here to pick up some ideas. The guy above me would be a great starting point.

Fluckin' Hatchling

Quote Originally Posted by Amphan View Post
    Music was fine, but filming needs work...like "not-using-the-tripod-cam" needs work. There was maybe a trick or two that looked realistic, but that was it.

Check out the other vids on here to pick up some ideas. The guy above me would be a great starting point.
    I didn't use the tripod. It was the advanced free cam. So you're suggesting I do less panning shots and more follow & stationary stuff? And as far as tricks, are their certain tricks I shouldn't be doing, because I tried doing the most simplest stuff I could think of. I want to do realism, but I don't want it to be boring, either.

This is just my IMO and nothing more:

If you are going for realism, then your filming needs to mirror realism as well. Also, remember you don't have to flip in and out of every grind. A simple clean exits out of grinds can look just as good, even more so if you tweak the landing so it does the different animations each time to vary it up.

I would suggest looking on here or YT for tips video on using advanced free cam, there are a couple of good ones about.

Oh and the transitions are deffo not needed. a simple cut, or very short fade looks so much better IMO.

Awful Awfuls!

Quote Originally Posted by Oz70NYC View Post
    I didn't use the tripod. It was the advanced free cam. So you're suggesting I do less panning shots and more follow & stationary stuff? And as far as tricks, are their certain tricks I shouldn't be doing, because I tried doing the most simplest stuff I could think of. I want to do realism, but I don't want it to be boring, either.
    My bad. I see you used it in some spots. But other shots looked like you used the tripod cam. Use your judgment when it comes to filming. You can do panning shots if you want, just think about the way you want it to look if you were the one shooting it.

Also, watch this video. And like I said, watch videos on this forum. A majority of the people put in a lot of thought and work into their videos (not to say that you don't), and are met with positive feedback.
    Last edited by Amphan; 08-11-2013 at 09:14 AM.

No more underflips.

I'm serious.
    Quote Originally Posted by momadaddy View Post
    i mostly play with myself now

waaay too many underflips in and out of everything,like Amphan said only a couple tricks i'd call "realistic".lots of accidental looking stuff to be honest.

as far as calling Stevie a troll,let's see...
    you've been here for 2 years with 10 posts to show for it
    he's been an active & respected member for years

point being we've seen ALOT of videos in that time claiming to be "realistic" that have been far from,so calling him a troll for calling you out on it(whether you agree or not) just makes you look like another one of these guys that stops by now and then and expects praise on a subpar video from guys that spend a good deal of time and effort on just a single clip,nevermind an entire video.

don't blame honesty for killing Skate,EA took care of that.

Boo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuztard View Post
    Keep Rolling...I am.

Fluckin' Hatchling

Quote Originally Posted by m.seven View Post
    waaay too many underflips in and out of everything,like Amphan said only a couple tricks i'd call "realistic".lots of accidental looking stuff to be honest.

as far as calling Stevie a troll,let's see...
    you've been here for 2 years with 10 posts to show for it
    he's been an active & respected member for years

point being we've seen ALOT of videos in that time claiming to be "realistic" that have been far from,so calling him a troll for calling you out on it(whether you agree or not) just makes you look like another one of these guys that stops by now and then and expects praise on a subpar video from guys that spend a good deal of time and effort on just a single clip,nevermind an entire video.

don't blame honesty for killing Skate,EA took care of that.
    1st off, let me stop you in your tracks in saying that him "calling me out" isn't why I called him a troll. He posted nothing in the vain of feedback. Just the typically expected "Low Road" response that does nothing but make him seem like a no-it-all. A lesser person would say "fuck it" and give up even trying to improve after repeated comments like that from "veterans". I could do the whole song and dance and counter every point your attempted to make in your retort, but I don't want my threads to go off track. Fact of the matter is, I'm looking to get better. So any feedback a person leaves in one of my threads to the contrary of offering me advice and insight to get better will be met with the way I met the same way it's delivered.

And as far as EA killing the community, they only pulled the plug on the life support system. The community itself drunk it's own poison. Just because I've only posted 10 times here in 2 years doesn't mean I wasn't in other communities. Of course you assume that because that's what people do...assume. I've watched the community deteriorate thanks in part to comments like "Stevie's". Instead of helping people improve their filming, majority of the "cool kids" throw them under the bus, yet they're all in each others threads kissing each others asses. How do you think that makes it for a new jack, or in my case someone who stepped away to do other things?

Bottom line, I'm not looking for praise. I'm looking for insight and advice on how to improve. I don't even mind if your a douche about giving it. I'm a grown man with pretty thick skin, and being a smart ass isn't knock on me, it's a knock on the other person's insecurities and their need to vent because their own lives lack meaning. All I want is feedback on what I need to do, and what I can do to improve my filming, lines and mindset to produce better quality stuff. If a person can't give it, as Stevie didn't, they're just wasting bandwidth.

~~~~~~~~~

Now that that's done, to Amphan, Deacon and Briden...you're feedback is most welcome. I'll definitely watch my underflipping fetish. Bad habit that still lingers from playing the game competitively. Thanks for the insight, fellas. I'll take it all into account when I start on my next montage.

Chief Alcohol Strategist momadaddy's Avatar
    PSN
    momadaddy
    XBL
    momadaddy

i personally think underflips are a under used trick. your excessive use of them just even outs everyone else not using them.

"Your friendship with xi SATORI ix has been broken"

i personally think underflips are a under used trick. your excessive use of them just even outs everyone else not using them.
    Amen!

Don't cut them out entirely man, just do them less. I wish there was a 'proper' pop shuv, late flip instead of the underflip though. Doing a late flip after a shuv just looks wack in game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiltzuh View Post
    I skate unrealistic in real life...i just learned ungrindables at my local park !
    Videos; www.youtube.com/derwreck

Fluckin' Hatchling

I'll try to work them into my footage better. Thanks for the insight, guys. A couple people said there were one or two lines that looked "real". Can anyone point them out to me so I can try to do stuff like that more? I know it's been mentioned to watch other vids to learn, and I have. But I want to create my own "style" rather then cookie cutting someone else. So the goal for me is to improve what I'm doing right while weeding out what I'm doing wrong. I don't wanna be a one trick pony here, I'm legitimately trying to get better at this filming thing. Branch out from what I usually do on my channel. (Which is predominately wrestling stuff.)

XBL
    Yarivpa

I think that you should watch real skate vids to understand what's real and what's not!

Your video isn't interesting because there's not really any challenge on the tricks you are chosing. You have to make the trick you wana do, and not a random underflip or a varial flip body varial the wrong way, etc... A hard ollie will always be better than all the technical tricks on the biggest rail!
    Let the good times roll !

XBL
    x1mmortal

Quote Originally Posted by Oz70NYC View Post
    1st off, let me stop you in your tracks in saying that him "calling me out" isn't why I called him a troll. He posted nothing in the vain of feedback. Just the typically expected "Low Road" response that does nothing but make him seem like a no-it-all. A lesser person would say "fuck it" and give up even trying to improve after repeated comments like that from "veterans". I could do the whole song and dance and counter every point your attempted to make in your retort, but I don't want my threads to go off track. Fact of the matter is, I'm looking to get better. So any feedback a person leaves in one of my threads to the contrary of offering me advice and insight to get better will be met with the way I met the same way it's delivered.

And as far as EA killing the community, they only pulled the plug on the life support system. The community itself drunk it's own poison. Just because I've only posted 10 times here in 2 years doesn't mean I wasn't in other communities. Of course you assume that because that's what people do...assume. I've watched the community deteriorate thanks in part to comments like "Stevie's". Instead of helping people improve their filming, majority of the "cool kids" throw them under the bus, yet they're all in each others threads kissing each others asses. How do you think that makes it for a new jack, or in my case someone who stepped away to do other things?

Bottom line, I'm not looking for praise. I'm looking for insight and advice on how to improve. I don't even mind if your a douche about giving it. I'm a grown man with pretty thick skin, and being a smart ass isn't knock on me, it's a knock on the other person's insecurities and their need to vent because their own lives lack meaning. All I want is feedback on what I need to do, and what I can do to improve my filming, lines and mindset to produce better quality stuff. If a person can't give it, as Stevie didn't, they're just wasting bandwidth.
    I....have to agree.

As for the video, definitely needs work. Filming could be greatly improved by getting a little closer to the shin area if you're going for the whole "realistic" thing. Filming in general is like that for the majority of us. Tricks were a bit weird at times. I don't think a 360 inward heel over a 10 foot gap is "realistic", nor does it looks terribly good. And if you're concerned about playing realistically is boring, mix it up a little. A little gap to skinny can look realistic, even if you add a kickflip, and they can be damn hard, as well. Stuff like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by NotedDerk View Post
    you do any of that first try realistic garbage on that damn boat and I'm not using it.
    i mostly play with myself
    Xbox is GONEEEE.

you, sir, have no ability to take criticism as constructive words...

if you wanna stay here, listen what people wants to tell you and stop blaming others for 'not liking your stuff'

constructive criticism - new term - learn it

EDIT; Don't even read this ! It was 2am when i wrote this...read just stevies reply and your reply to it...and managed to get em both wrong.

XBL
    x1mmortal

if you wanna stay here, listen what people wants to tell you and stop blaming others for 'not liking your stuff'

constructive criticism - new term - learn it
    To be fair, Stevie's comment wasn't that at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by NotedDerk View Post
    you do any of that first try realistic garbage on that damn boat and I'm not using it.
    i mostly play with myself
    Xbox is GONEEEE.

What thread were you reading guy? He takes criticism fine, he just said he'll work on cutting down on the underflips, asking us what clips of his looked good and improve even further upon that to find his own style. You can't ask for a better response out of a newcomer, haha, I think stevie just doesn't like any new people who join our little community.

I'm not sure what clips people were referring to that said looked 'real,' but the back lip, front shuv (or is that front big?) was the closest thing I saw to it. That's just my interpretation though, can't speak for everyone, we all find ways to make our own style without going way out of the norm, if what we all do can even be called normal, but I love looking around for skinny ledges to land on perfectly, thread the needle type gaps, or just borderline dumb. Just aim for whatever style that makes you want to play the game more and make more videos, you'll slowly develop into the style you've wanted all along if you stick around man.
    Last edited by NotedDerk; 08-12-2013 at 02:46 AM.
    I skate unrealistic in real life...i just learned ungrindables at my local park !
    Videos; www.youtube.com/derwreck

It's people like you that can't handle things like a grown up and get insulted by things like my comment that kill the community. On top of that, having posted 12 things in 2 years, you really think you're part of this community? Here's my true honest feedback. There wasn't a single trick in your video realistic except for the last one, it was all filmed veeery badly and the edit was crappy, lazy and horrible to watch because of the huge black bars. please don't cry.

Fluckin' Hatchling

Quote Originally Posted by SK8ERatWAR View Post
    It's people like you that can't handle things like a grown up and get insulted by things like my comment that kill the community. On top of that, having posted 12 things in 2 years, you really think you're part of this community? Here's my true honest feedback. There wasn't a single trick in your video realistic except for the last one, it was all filmed veeery badly and the edit was crappy, lazy and horrible to watch because of the huge black bars. please don't cry.
    Cry? You must have me mistaken for one of the soft skinned noobs you usually try to run off. And your dig at my 12 posts in 2 years? You couldn't reach anymore if you were Inspector Gadget, my friend. Painful as it was to even read, you "trying" to evoke a negative reaction from me from your poor attempt at trolling, your input is noted. I won't even bother entertaining your ignorance with further response. As a matter of fact...*Adds to Ignore List*...now I don't have to ever read any of your ignorance ever again. Fair thee well, young Stevie. I'd pardon you for being a 20 year old punk, but let's face it...you never grow out of being an idiot.

To everyone else, thanks for the insight and input. I'll work on improving for my next montage.

Chief Alcohol Strategist momadaddy's Avatar
    PSN
    momadaddy
    XBL
    momadaddy

i find it is better to ignore rather than argue

"Your friendship with xi SATORI ix has been broken"